• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Madelyn is gone7/24/20

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
Madelyn normally eats her pellets relatively quickly when my spouse gives them to her in the morning along with fresh water. On Thursday morning I saw some pellets still in her bowl at mid morning. She ate all her greens from Wednesday night and most of the hay from Wednesday night. I gave her more hay later in the morning and by then her pellets were gone. She had made poos overnight and in the morning. I got preoccupied with a few other things today so I was downstairs (Her pen is upstairs until her new floor/pen is finished). My spouse gave her water and a small number of evening pellets at 8:45pm. When I went upstairs after 11pm she did not eat all her pellets. I cleaned her litterbox and gave her fresh greens and hay (all her hay was gone and it had a normal number of poos/pee).
I gave her hugs and groomed her and she seemed to enjoy the attention, though I did hear three faint noises that sounded like a single bubble popped each one five minutes apart.

It has been a few hours and I only saw four poos which were under where she was sitting and not in the litterbox. She ran to her littlebox and sat flat. She did not eat any of her fresh greens.

I gave her medicam and fluids.

She is such a good girl and she was not a fan of sub Q fluids so I am now on the naughty list.
I feel so bad that I did not spend more time with her Thursday evening so I did not notice she was not acting like herself sooner.
Please send us some eat and poop vibes.

Last edited:
Sending lots of vibes to her. And hugs to you. You should not blame yourself for not noticing anything, you are such an attentive owner I’m sure you would have picked up on issues straight away.

I got 1 hour of sleep. Both rabbit vets in my area off until monday. Vet quite a drive away overbooked.
Still no poo. She nibbled tiny pieces of greens and a small piece -one-third-of fibafirst stick.
She is not good with syringe feeds yet getting ready to try.

Oh no, I have only just seen this. I hope that Madelyn will show some signs of improvement soon. It must be so stressful not to be able to access a Vet :cry: Sending lots of vibes xx

Oh no, I have only just seen this. I hope that Madelyn will show some signs of improvement soon. It must be so stressful not to be able to access a Vet :cry: Sending lots of vibes xx

I just called regular practice to see if a tech can check her blood glucose before I try motility meds or pushing syringe feeds. She will get glucose test in two hours.

Oh no :( sending a million vibes for you both. I really hope the blood glucose test is okay xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Sending lots of vibes. How stressful about the vets although she seems in good hands!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thank you RU friends. A half hour ago she pass two strands of 5 or 6 poos connected with thick fur and a few irregular sized loose poos. I checked again and she made about 20 more poo that are close to normal. I know know it is ok to give motility med without stress of visit to tech for glucose test. She still not eating much, so syringe feeding will be needed to.

Thank you for your support.
She made more poo after getting motility meds. Fewer are connected with fur and except for a couple more groups connected by thick fur,most are singles or normal connected by a single strand of her long mane fur.
She is nibbling some foods though she only wanted to eat a couple small carrot tops, two fibafirst sticks, and about 10 pellets all day. She got syringe fed a little critical care.
I usually only give her a 2cm piece of fibafirst once or twice a day as a treat. It was the first thing she ate, and I gave her more today as she was eating them on and off. Do I allow her more of the Fibastick to reduce need for syringe feeds?

Thank you for your support.
She made more poo after getting motility meds. Fewer are connected with fur and except for a couple more groups connected by thick fur,most are singles or normal connected by a single strand of her long mane fur.
She is nibbling some foods though she only wanted to eat a couple small carrot tops, two fibafirst sticks, and about 10 pellets all day. She got syringe fed a little critical care.
I usually only give her a 2cm piece of fibafirst once or twice a day as a treat. It was the first thing she ate, and I gave her more today as she was eating them on and off. Do I allow her more of the Fibastick to reduce need for syringe feeds?

I'd try to maximise her fluid and fibre intake in what ever way works best for her. Maybe contine with some SQs for another 12-24 hours and hold off syringe feeds unless she eats nothing at all. Sometimes the stress syringe feeding can cause will exacerbate GI tract hypomotility. I dont know if you have access to any fresh grass ? If so and she is used to having some hand picked or from grazing herself I'd allow that. Some fresh forage, especially brambles would be beneficial too. As will the chance to be as active as possible. I'd keep going with the prokinetics until her input and output is back to normal.

Topping up the vibes for her xx

I'd try to maximise her fluid and fibre intake in what ever way works best for her. Maybe contine with some SQs for another 12-24 hours and hold off syringe feeds unless she eats nothing at all. Sometimes the stress syringe feeding can cause will exacerbate GI tract hypomotility. I dont know if you have access to any fresh grass ? If so and she is used to having some hand picked or from grazing herself I'd allow that. Some fresh forage, especially brambles would be beneficial too. As will the chance to be as active as possible. I'd keep going with the prokinetics until her input and output is back to normal.

Topping up the vibes for her xx
Thanks JJ. No brambles. Thanks for info,especially part on syringe feeds and stress.

She has gradually improved throughout Saturday. She is regularly making poo, though I still see a few pieces with thicker fur connecting them. I am continuing fluids, medicam, and motility meds. Yesterday I also added some baytril (pills flavored for dogs!!) for cover too. As JJ recommended I did not do any more syringe feeds as long as she was eating small amounts on her own. This morning she was eating the carrot top and dandelion greens she was given last night in addition to more Fibafirst pieces. Early this afternoon she ate the small amount of pellets she got yesterday. At 4pm I came home with some greens. I gave her some right away and she went for them immediately. Throughout the day I saw her pick up tiny bits of hay-a mix of orchard grass which is softer and timothy hay. At 8pm I saw that she had eaten a small amount of hay since yesterday-not her usual amount yet encouraging.
I still do not know what caused her to go into stasis; yet I am sure it was a downward spiral with her long fur and her drinking very little in the days before this incident.
I thought about giving fluids earlier in the week, yet I did not do so. I will not make that mistake again.

Thanks friends. We still need to get back to normal, yet I am must more relaxed today without the fear that I was going to lose her. She is such a good bunny, and pretty too.

She has gradually improved throughout Saturday. She is regularly making poo, though I still see a few pieces with thicker fur connecting them. I am continuing fluids, medicam, and motility meds. Yesterday I also added some baytril (pills flavored for dogs!!) for cover too. As JJ recommended I did not do any more syringe feeds as long as she was eating small amounts on her own. This morning she was eating the carrot top and dandelion greens she was given last night in addition to more Fibafirst pieces. Early this afternoon she ate the small amount of pellets she got yesterday. At 4pm I came home with some greens. I gave her some right away and she went for them immediately. Throughout the day I saw her pick up tiny bits of hay-a mix of orchard grass which is softer and timothy hay. At 8pm I saw that she had eaten a small amount of hay since yesterday-not her usual amount yet encouraging.
I still do not know what caused her to go into stasis; yet I am sure it was a downward spiral with her long fur and her drinking very little in the days before this incident.
I thought about giving fluids earlier in the week, yet I did not do so. I will not make that mistake again.

Thanks friends. We still need to get back to normal, yet I am must more relaxed today without the fear that I was going to lose her. She is such a good bunny, and pretty too.

Hopefully another 24-48 hours will bring about a return to 100% normal gut motility.

Just my unqualified opinion but I dont think I'd want to give an abx without clear evidence of an active bacterial infection unless my Vet advised me to do so. I am a tad paranoid about the over use of abx/abx resistance.

Sorry to do the usual JJ tactless thing and give an opinion when one was not asked for...............:oops:

Back