• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lady Pip has a gassy tummy and won't eat.

Oh phew! Well done to her ladyship.I hope she makes further progress and you can worry less over her.Topping up vibes.x

Thanks everyone. She quite agrees that pooping on the floor is hardly ladylike!

I must have passed out on the sofa just woke up to my alarm to see how she was getting on. she's happily munching away so not going to give her a syringe feed. Theres poop, but not sure who's it was. Going to stay awake for a bit and poop watch. Lol

Really appreciate all your kind words. Been on the verge of tears all day. I do love Pip so much, and was horrid watching her all night and feeling helpless.

So pleased that's she home, and has started to eat and poop now. Bless you, yes it's a horrible worrying time when they are poorly, you feel so helpless. Hope you can get a better nights sleep tonight, big hugs xxxx

I am relieved to come on hear and read that Pip is home and I really hope that she will soon be 100% back to normal xx

Just came down to check on the buns. There is a sea of poop, but not sure who's is who's. But she ate some treats straight away and seems lively.

Archie is chasing her cos she smells funny, but OH can keep an eye on them today and her poop output

Just came down to check on the buns. There is a sea of poop, but not sure who's is who's. But she ate some treats straight away and seems lively.

Archie is chasing her cos she smells funny, but OH can keep an eye on them today and her poop output
I'm so glad she's feeling better :D

Hoping the chasing stops!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I’m glad she’s feeling better :love: fingers crossed she produces lots of poops:thumb:

Little update for you all. Pip is doing well and seems to be back to herself. She's munching away happily and pooping, they are smaller and darker, but they are poops!
Archie was a bit off his food today, but seems ok now. Think he was stressed that Pip was away for a day.

Trying to work out why Pip was, so bad this time, it wasn't her fur pulling, because there was no fur in her poops.

We have three possible triggers for the gas or of course it could be a combination of all three.

Option 1 dried dandelion leaves. (Hadn't had them for a while)

Option 2 papaya digestive tablets (new and been slowly introduced to help with her fur pulling)

Option 3 not enough exercise. Due to Pips food aggression we'd kept them in their pen for a week with no free time around the house. Still had plenty of room, bit it would have caused her stress.

Feeling bad that maybe I made her poorly. She was so flat and in such pain and i was horrified that we might lose her. Just stroked her all night so she knew her mum was there.

Last edited:
I’m glad she is back to normal now, it must have been very scary for you :cry: I’ve not fed the papaya tablets before so I don’t know about those, nor have I fed anything with yeast in, that I’m aware so I’m not sure on that.

I’m glad she is back to normal now, it must have been very scary for you :cry: I’ve not fed the papaya tablets before so I don’t know about those, nor have I fed anything with yeast in, that I’m aware so I’m not sure on that.
Just edited my post. I'm obviously still sleep deprived. They don't have yeast in. I've obviously gone bananas.

I've noticed they do have added calcium though and dandelions are high in calcium. Could too much calcium cause gas?

So pleased she is doing better. I've not fed papaya tablets but Bertie has pineapple and papaya melange for his moult. It's basically dried fruit cut into small pieces. He just gets a tiny amount daily.

Don't blame yourself at all. It is clear from all your posts how well cared for your bunnies are.

You did nothing to make her feel poorly, so please do not feel bad. On the contrary, your prompt actions and taking her to the vet twice when you would have normally been sleeping tells me you are a wonderful mom to your fur baby.
I laughed that she did not want to poo at the vets. While most of my bunnies are litter trained (Gemini lost his training when he was ill) some poos always manage to escape.
Me and my bunnies are sending you, Pip and Arthur some stay well vibes.

You did nothing to make her feel poorly, so please do not feel bad. On the contrary, your prompt actions and taking her to the vet twice when you would have normally been sleeping tells me you are a wonderful mom to your fur baby.
I laughed that she did not want to poo at the vets. While most of my bunnies are litter trained (Gemini lost his training when he was ill) some poos always manage to escape.
Me and my bunnies are sending you, Pip and Arthur some stay well vibes.
Thanks bunny momma. I must admit I laughed to when they phoned me back to say she just used the litter tray. Hahaha

Little update for you all. Pip is doing very well and poops are big and plentiful. Came down to a sea of poop this morning. Must admit it made me smile. Hahaha.

Try her on her favourite treats to tempt her. When Long was post operative all he would eat was dandelions.

Back