• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pip has a gurgling tummy and not eating

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Pip has had this before, but not for ages and not this bad.

She ate dinner at 5.30pm. Noticed she didnt want treats later on. She did a few poops at 9pm.

Her tummy is very loud, she was very wriggly and pressing her belly.

Normally we can get her better on our own with some gentle tummy stroking and keeping her moving up and down the stairs.

However I was not happy this time, she was getting flatter and colder. So we've just got back from emergency vets.

She's had pain med and gut meds. Normally she eats straight away when she gets home, but of course not this time. She's sitting quietly on the stairs. My partner is talking to her, but I'm not sure how long to leave her. Of course I have work in the morning too.

Get well soon. I'm glad your bunny started eating.
The name of that posture is hunced. When the rabbits are in pain they make a hunced position. GI can be stasis or gas. Sometimes it can be caused by something they eat, sometimes it can be psychological. It's a good decision to take it to the vet immediately.

Fur change is the season at these times. Watch out that your rabbit doesn't swallow fur. Groom her during this period.
Be very careful with her poop and eating.

I am not very knowledgeable either. I had a rabbit for the first time. So my knowledge is very limited. There is a nice article on GI stasis on the link I shared. Maybe it will help you.

https://bunnylady.com/common-rabbit-illnesses/
https://www.animalwised.com/my-rabbit-s-stomach-is-making-gurgling-sounds-3524.html?amp=1
http://thebunnyguy.com/wordpress/listen-to-their-tummies/

I hope Pip is continuing to improve. You did the right thing getting her to the vet. Did vet send you home with pain and motility meds to keep her comfortable while she recovers?

Sorry to hear about Pip, but pleased that she's starting nibbling again. Hope she had a good night and passed lots of poops. Sending vibes for your girlie x

Thanks everyone. Pip has just eaten some of her brekky and is now tucking into her hay. She's a bit wary of me cos I'm the scary person with the carrier! So I'll leave her with my partner who is on watch duty..

They are both moulting heavily, but she was worse a few months ago and her tummy was fine. I do wonder if the crazy storm upset her. Nextdoors wheeliebins were banging around all night and hitting the wall where the buns sleep.. [emoji852]

Archie had a lovely evening hoovering up all the forage I kept trying to get Pip to eat. He didnt care Pip was ill at all. Just ignored her! Buns!

Thanks everyone. Pip has just eaten some of her brekky and is now tucking into her hay. She's a bit wary of me cos I'm the scary person with the carrier! So I'll leave her with my partner who is on watch duty..

They are both moulting heavily, but she was worse a few months ago and her tummy was fine. I do wonder if the crazy storm upset her. Nextdoors wheeliebins were banging around all night and hitting the wall where the buns sleep.. [emoji852]

Archie had a lovely evening hoovering up all the forage I kept trying to get Pip to eat. He didnt care Pip was ill at all. Just ignored her! Buns!

The windy weather may well have been the trigger. I hope that Pip will do well today , topping up the vibes for her x

Pip is doing well and acting like normal. Just home from work and feel like curling up in a ball in a dark room.

No idea why she was so poorly with it this time around. Maybe just fancied an exciting car journey. The Mummy and Daddy stood in the freezing cold car park, whilst she was treated and fussed over!

I'm sorry little Pip didn't feel well and needed the vet. :( I'm glad she ate some of her breakfast and hay this morning. I hope she's back to normal now. Lots of vibes for her.

Isn't it fun when you keep offering the sick bun food and their friend keeps eating it all? :roll::lol:

Back