• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fabala's Dental and Eye Journey

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
Miss Fabala Boo Hoppy-Lou the Licky is back at the vets on Thursday.

Monday morning, she and normally-supremely-submissive Odessa Briar were having a falling out. Took her to the vets and saw D, a very thorough vet who I'd met at a previous surgery. Was good to see him again and he is much happier where he is now.

Fabala's eye has been weepy, not excessively, the fur around her eye is never damp, but has that recently-dried-out appearance. Her teeth are also pretty bad too. Thankfully she's still eating. Even if we waited for more symptoms to present, we know she'd most likely be going under anyway and would rather she was in a somewhat stable position rather than leaving the op to when things are bleaker.

She'll also be having x-rays done whilst under as well as the 2 procedures. X-rays are a standard part of dentals for any dental-requiring species.

Knowing she is in safe hands doesn't make it easier though. :lol: She will of course be accompanied by Yuki Winter and Obie for the op, and given a mountain of food to keep them going. Planning a day of distractions for our sanity too. Will be much happier once the other side of it.

Last edited:

Monday morning, she and normally-supremely-submissive Odessa Briar were having a falling out. Took her to the vets and saw D, a very thorough vet who I'd met at a previous surgery. Was good to see him again and he is much happier where he is now.

Fabala's eye has been weepy, not excessively, the fur around her eye is never damp, but has that recently-dried-out appearance. Her teeth are also pretty bad too. Thankfully she's still eating. Even if we waited for more symptoms to present, we know she'd most likely be going under anyway and would rather she was in a somewhat stable position rather than leaving the op to when things are bleaker.

She'll also be having x-rays done whilst under as well as the 2 procedures. X-rays are a standard part of dentals for any dental-requiring species.

Knowing she is in safe hands doesn't make it easier though. :lol: She will of course be accompanied by Yuki Winter and Obie for the op, and given a mountain of food to keep them going. Planning a day of distractions for our sanity too. Will be much happier once the other side of it.

I hope that all will go well for her and that the Dental Xrays do not reveal anything too serious x

Sending vibes that all goes well.
How are you doing. :wave:

Fabala is a dental bunny confirmed. Vet (Z) is confident we'll know when she needs dentals etc.

Eye was full of gunk. A swab has been taken and she has eye drops and antibiotics to take.

She's sulking, but eating.

Poor Fabala :( It sounds as though she has received good treatment from your vet though and it's great that she is already eating. Sending her lots of speedy recovery vibes.

Fabala is a dental bunny confirmed. Vet (Z) is confident we'll know when she needs dentals etc.

Eye was full of gunk. A swab has been taken and she has eye drops and antibiotics to take.

She's sulking, but eating.

Good to have all that gunk away.

I am glad she seems to be recovering well :D

She hates the eye drops and abx with a burning passion. :( But she's eating with gusto and full of energy today. I'm glad we decided to take action straight away. We now know she has dental disease and can work forward from there. Whole group is still very grumpy with us and each other though. :(

Still issues with the group as a whole. All are moulting and I think a lot of it is spring fever. :( I just hope the group survives.

Fabala specifically is doing ok. She has lost a lot of weight, but she needed to. I just hope she stabilises now. Her eye is looking better, but not perfect. Not sure if it is just the eye drops getting on her fur or if the issue is unresolved. Energy wise, she's nearly back to normal. It's a fight to do her eye drops and abx and I feel so guilty. But she forgives so quickly afterwards to then groom my face. She is such a darling.

I am the actual worst bunny mum. :cry:

Fabala's ear has been injured by Odessa now. Just above the shave line and pierced through. We have separated Obie off but I feel som so guilty. I should've separated sooner. But Yuki is so fond of both girls and now another one of my rabbits has been hurt. :cry:

It's earlier in the year than I'd ideally like but everyone is in moult, so I *think* we're gonna try bonding Obie to Athena's trio. They have the biggest and best shelter space and we want to build them a bigger run, so...

I'm also concerned about Fabala's weighf but need a new battery for the baby scales.

I am just so angry with myself right now.

I’m sorry Odessa has injured Fabala :cry: is Obie the one causing the problems between Odessa and Fabala? I hope Obie bonds into the trio ok and that Fabala is soon feeling a lot better, sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

I’m sorry Odessa has injured Fabala :cry: is Obie the one causing the problems between Odessa and Fabala? I hope Obie bonds into the trio ok and that Fabala is soon feeling a lot better, sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

Thank you Zoobec. I still feel so guilty. :cry:

It has mostly been Obie starting it, yes. There have been occasions where Fabala has started it/egged her on, so to speak, but mostly it has been Odessa I think. Obie's so shy and timid with people, and we had believed her to be submissive, but I guess not? The prep work for bonding to Athena's group has been done, but I'm wiped out now, have been since lunchtime. Bonding will have to start tomorrow.

Fabala's been in pretty good spirits today, and Yuki is never far from her side now. We'll have gone from a group of 6 indoors to just a pair since Christmas. :shock:

Thank you Zoobec. I still feel so guilty. :cry:

It has mostly been Obie starting it, yes. There have been occasions where Fabala has started it/egged her on, so to speak, but mostly it has been Odessa I think. Obie's so shy and timid with people, and we had believed her to be submissive, but I guess not? The prep work for bonding to Athena's group has been done, but I'm wiped out now, have been since lunchtime. Bonding will have to start tomorrow.

Fabala's been in pretty good spirits today, and Yuki is never far from her side now. We'll have gone from a group of 6 indoors to just a pair since Christmas. :shock:

Don’t feel guilty, although I know it’s easy for me to say of course. So do you think if you remove Obi from the group that Odessa will settle with Fabala then, is that your thinking?

Best wishes TLC: of course you feel guilty, but everything's a bit unpredictable at times like this (and generally, let's face it).

Back