• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental work

Hope you receive an update from the Vet soon :)
Thank you Jane. I hope you are doing ok xx

If I don't come on the forum for a while it is most probably because my phone is not loading the forum and just shows a circle trying to load. I am on my tablet currently and it seems to be working fine so touch wood ( touches wood lol) I can just use this instead [emoji6]

Sent from my Lenovo TB125FU using Tapatalk

Thank you Jane. I hope you are doing ok xx

If I don't come on the forum for a while it is most probably because my phone is not loading the forum and just shows a circle trying to load. I am on my tablet currently and it seems to be working fine so touch wood ( touches wood lol) I can just use this instead [emoji6]

A few folk seem to be having issues getting onto the forum. No idea why though! Computers remain a complete mystery to me x

A few folk seem to be having issues getting onto the forum. No idea why though! Computers remain a complete mystery to me x
It's weird as it's just on my phone [emoji1745]. My OH just suggested that it is a Norton app that cleans my phone. I have uninstalled it but still no joy. Yes computers baffle me too [emoji28] xx

We just had the vets call. Mr Chief is all done and everything went fine. He is still drowsy as she said rabbits can take longer to recover apparently. I did not know this. They have been fine although trying to burrow out of their kennel to no effect [emoji23]

The vet also said that the reason it was quoted high is because a student vet priced it wrong so looking at the £150 mark.

So we are both relieved he is out of surgery and fine plus there is no panic over the cost. We pick them both up a 6.30pm.

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everybun who has sent Mr Chief vibes and good luck. We really appreciate this as I hardly come on this forum recently due to my own health issues and Mr & Mrs Chief send you all nose bumps albeit sleepy ones from Mr Chief. Thanks you so much [emoji3590]

great news he got through his op ok - and that its not nearer the price the VN scared you with. Hope they are well enough to come home soon to all their herby treats

So pleased everything went well at the vets, well done bunnies ! I bet you'll sleep better tonight too !

great news he got through his op ok - and that its not nearer the price the VN scared you with. Hope they are well enough to come home soon to all their herby treats
Thanks Joey&boo. Yes they are both home now [emoji3526] Thank goodness!

Thank you everybun for your kind words and sending good vibes. It really helped to know you all cared when I was worrying myself silly. They are both home now thank goodness! [emoji3526]

Lilabelle has shown how robust she is. Again she was fine at the vets and she was back to eating and running about soon after we got home. She has come over to Mischief a few times and sat in the other litter tray right next to him for a while. She seems a bit puzzled as to why he is just lying there I guess.

Mischief, on the other hand, is still very drowsy. It was 5pm when we spoke to the vets about him coming home and she said he had just come out of the op and was starting to wake up. He Is still very drowsy now and has just been lying in the litter tray that he had wobbled over to earlier. He has hardly moved since but he has been awake and had no interest in food at all.

We have tried him on fresh herbs, a few Science Selective pellets and a fibrestix so far. The veterinary nurse said he had eaten enough to keep his gut working so I presume she meant he had eaten this *before* the op. She also said that we should keep an eye on him and if he hasn't eaten, drunk water, pooped and peed by the morning then we should ring them.

I was just wondering how long a bun takes to recover after an anaesthetic and start to move about, clean himself and also eat without any encouragement? I realise everybun is different but is it usual for buns to be this drowsy 5-6 hours after an anaesthetic? And when do I start trying to encourage him to eat for himself and wave food under his nose to annoy him into eating? And when and/or if we need to syringe feed him at all?

We have syringes and a bag of powder leftover from an old Burgess Excel bag so we are equipped but when should we start syringe feeding him after an op? I know you can't usually do this without speaking to a vet in case of obstruction but he has an empty stomach. If anyone can help please? I need a little direction on what to do next tbh and am still worrying myself stupid.

Sorry to ask but would really appreciate some advice on this.

If they gave him a pain med at the vets, be aware some pain meds may keep him drowsy for several hours after returning home.
Depending on what the vet did/discovered, he may need some pain med at home for a few days.
Encourage him to eat on his own, even if it only a small amount. You may also want to syringe some water to keep him hydrated.
If he had enough food in his system before he returned home, you should be seeing some poo soon.
Can you offer him some softened pellets?
Sending vibes for Mr. Chief.

Sometimes it can take a good 12 hours for a Rabbit to fully return to normal after a GA. Although this should be flagged up to the Vet as next time a different GA protocol might be required. Also, the Vet might decide to run a blood profile to check renal function. Compromised renal function can result in a slow recovery from a GA. IV fluids should be given as standard with a GA. Sadly some Vets don’t do this and again, this can contribute to a slower recovery.

Normally a Rabbit should not be discharged home until they have passed some faeces, nibbled at food and maintained their body temperature.

Mr C should definitely have brightened up and started to move about and passed some poo within 8-10 hours. Do you know the exact findings from his dental and exactly what was done? If spurs have caused soft tissue damage then the Rabbit’s mouth will remain sore until the damage heals. This usually takes a couple of days. Analgesia and syringe feeds are needed and possibly prokinetic drugs too.

As you were advised by the Vet, contact the surgery first thing this morning if Mr C is still not eating and pooing. He would definitely need additional treatment and supportive feeds and fluids. Given that he has a history of lung infections I would want the Vet to keep a close check on his respiratory tract. Physiological stress, such as a GA, is an assault on the immune system and for Rabbits with a history of RTIs this can mean a flare up of symptoms can occur.

Thank you so much Inspector Morse and Bunny Momma for your messages. I am sorry for the late reply. I stayed up the night with him as needed him to eat and drink and have been sleeping so much since to recover. He did eventually drink lots of water when we offered it to him from his usual water bottle. I did say the vets can give him extra fluids but the breakdown of the op did not list this when I requested the next day. He was so thirsty bless him. So I will make sure they give our buns extra fluids from now on.

At first we kept offering him food sprinkled with water but after we gave him just water he started to eat again thankfully. He ate a little herbs and greens and then nibbled on some hay. We actually ordered some Cotswold Sweet hay with Marigold and Sunflower from the Little Hay Co thanks to Inspector Morse's post (thank you Jane x) and they both love it.

He was a lot more with it the next day although still sleepy but he is a lazy bun so nothing unusual really [emoji23] He is back to himself now and motivated by food and sleep. Was still stressful though.

The op itself went smoothly and he just needed the molars to be filed down. I did question the fact he was sent home without painkiller but they said he didn't need any. We wanted to get a blood test done before his op but they don't do rabbit blood tests in house and it costs over £100 to have it sent off. We probably wouldn't have been able to afford it tbf and we wouldn't have had the results in time anyway. We are going to get his bloods done soon as he is 5 years old now and so quite old for a giant bun and it may pick up health issues that need treatment. We will get these done at PDSA vets though as they are walking distance so less stressful for him.

We are so thankful to have him home and he (and Lils) has been getting extra fuss and herb treats [emoji3526]

Last edited:
I am glad he is doing much better now.
It surprised me vet did not prescribe any pain meds, even if his drowsiness from the anesthesia kept him from feeling much pain while he was at the vets.
As Jane said, vet may need to change anesthesia protocol for any future procedures and give fluids as you both said.

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk

I am glad he is doing much better now.
It surprised me vet did not prescribe any pain meds, even if his drowsiness from the anesthesia kept him from feeling much pain while he was at the vets.
As Jane said, vet may need to change anesthesia protocol for any future procedures and give fluids as you both said.

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk
Sorry for late reply. Grandkid broke screen on my tablet and can't access this forum on my phone for some reason?

I was surprised about no painkiller as thought they would have possibly bruised his mouth doing the dental work. He was fine after started eating though and has been fine since [emoji3590]

Glad to hear that he has now recovered. Hope he can go a long time before he needs any further dental work x
Yes we will get him checked 6 monthly from now on in case plus I read somewhere that you need to keep to check ups and jabs as otherwise insurance does not pay out?

Back