• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cookie and her heart UD post 51 Vets tonight :(

Aww thank you, I think because I am home so much with them and I know them and their behaviours inside out :) that's not always a good thing though and makes me worried if they do anything slightly abnormal!

I'm not sure! She herself is ok which is reassuring, but I have that sinking feeling like its the beginning of the end and this bleeding has thrown a bit of the unknown into the mix. I've not seen anymore blood since we've been home, so that is good.

I said to the vet Filavac but it is possible she got muddled up. I will ask again :) I definitely don't like the sound of the other being given!

Thank you, hopefully Lola is ok! she is not easy to catch or medicate so this will be interesting! xxx

I've found out by talking with different vets that sometimes a very high price can possibly indicate that the vaccine is eravac and not filavac. That's because they have to break into a whole vial for one rabbit's vaccination. May not be so, but well worth checking :)

Thinking of you, I would be as concerned as you. It's the 'trying to enjoy every moment and live in the present' which is easy to say, but often not so easy to do xx Hugs xx

How are things going? :wave:

Thank you for thinking of us MM :)

Just back from Lola's appointment, she had a really good check up. Of course the signs of her runny eyes and snuffly congestion sounds had gone again today but I thought I would take her anyway. The vet does think it could well be Pasteurella that flares up every now and again, but her immune system seems to deal with it and it disappears so it fits with what I'd read about it. I don't usually use household sprays or air fresheners downstairs so ruled it out being that and we always shake the hay and it's the good quality TimothyHay.co.uk one so not too dusty at all.

Not on anti biotics for now, and as she is a super sensitive tummy bunny even more of a reason to be cautious with those. Although if the symptoms appear she is to go on the same one as Cookie with a slighty higher dose as shes a bit heavier (shed actually put a bit of weight on :oops: They both have a check up in two weeks with a view to having their vaccinations then. I didn't ask about the Filavac again and if she'd got muddled with Eravac as it was the same vet and I think they already think I'm nuts :lol:

Cookie is ok, I've not seen any more nose bleeding at all unless she has cleaned herself up and she seems ok, eating fine, excited for kale etc. She actually head binkied today when I went into her room and talked to her in a high pitched voice. The only time she will ever do this is from around 1am usually, it was so nice to see a daytime one! She is completely lazy all day, only the privileged few get to see the real Cookie if they stay awake long enough :lol: so that makes me feel that she in herself is feeling ok at least!

I really should try and put some recent pics up so you can see them both :love: I don't think my out of date ipad will work with most websites now but I'll have a go soon!

It could be worth not using the air freshener, etc anywhere in your home to see if this helps. I know I can't live with any aerosols as I've got a very sensitive nose even if used in another room, the air is interchangeable room to room, even house to house, sadly.

It could be worth not using the air freshener, etc anywhere in your home to see if this helps. I know I can't live with any aerosols as I've got a very sensitive nose even if used in another room, the air is interchangeable room to room, even house to house, sadly.

:oops: I don't tend to use it anywhere now. The only scented thing at the moment is a reed diffuser up in my daughters bedroom but that is recent and she has had symptoms on and off for much longer so that's a mystery really. I do use cleaning spray in the bathroom thats at the top of the stairs but try and be careful of shutting the door and opening the window until it's aired just incase.

I wonder if regular household dust could be causing it as I do have plenty of that :oops:

Thank you for thinking of us MM :)

Just back from Lola's appointment, she had a really good check up. Of course the signs of her runny eyes and snuffly congestion sounds had gone again today but I thought I would take her anyway. The vet does think it could well be Pasteurella that flares up every now and again, but her immune system seems to deal with it and it disappears so it fits with what I'd read about it. I don't usually use household sprays or air fresheners downstairs so ruled it out being that and we always shake the hay and it's the good quality TimothyHay.co.uk one so not too dusty at all.

Not on anti biotics for now, and as she is a super sensitive tummy bunny even more of a reason to be cautious with those. Although if the symptoms appear she is to go on the same one as Cookie with a slighty higher dose as shes a bit heavier (shed actually put a bit of weight on :oops: They both have a check up in two weeks with a view to having their vaccinations then. I didn't ask about the Filavac again and if she'd got muddled with Eravac as it was the same vet and I think they already think I'm nuts :lol:

Cookie is ok, I've not seen any more nose bleeding at all unless she has cleaned herself up and she seems ok, eating fine, excited for kale etc. She actually head binkied today when I went into her room and talked to her in a high pitched voice. The only time she will ever do this is from around 1am usually, it was so nice to see a daytime one! She is completely lazy all day, only the privileged few get to see the real Cookie if they stay awake long enough :lol: so that makes me feel that she in herself is feeling ok at least!

I really should try and put some recent pics up so you can see them both :love: I don't think my out of date ipad will work with most websites now but I'll have a go soon!

Thank you for updating, and I would love to see some photos :love:

I guess it could be dust, but it's a bit random and hard to know for sure. Especially if you're using that good hay, and I know it's not dusty :)

Good news about Cookie Monster :)
It's a good thing you're a night owl then - or did they adjust their timings to be up and about when you are? :lol:

:lol: Maybe they did! Although my night owl habits I'm really starting to not manage as easily anymore, they'll have to change back! I found out Cookies hyper and human responsive night time habits by accident when staying up till the early hours with either Lola or little Frankie when they had one of their gas block/weird tummy emptying episodes. I was explaining about that to the vet today actually with Lola and she's given me a fresh bottle of Zantac to have in the cupboard for when it happens again. She last had an episode a couple of weeks ago that I managed with tummy rubs and forcing her to run around and it was really short lived but that's always been a bit of a mystery too coming on completely out of the blue. Along with her ceacatroph/mush/sensitive to allsorts problems there's something not quite right in that department for sure.

I'll see what I can do about pics. My ipad and iPhone (I'm cringing at myself at how like such first world problems that sounds!) are both so old and out of date they crash constantly when trying to do anything, and that's if the web page buttons will even press at all. The more that websites get upgraded the less things work on them!

:lol: Maybe they did! Although my night owl habits I'm really starting to not manage as easily anymore, they'll have to change back! I found out Cookies hyper and human responsive night time habits by accident when staying up till the early hours with either Lola or little Frankie when they had one of their gas block/weird tummy emptying episodes. I was explaining about that to the vet today actually with Lola and she's given me a fresh bottle of Zantac to have in the cupboard for when it happens again. She last had an episode a couple of weeks ago that I managed with tummy rubs and forcing her to run around and it was really short lived but that's always been a bit of a mystery too coming on completely out of the blue. Along with her ceacatroph/mush/sensitive to allsorts problems there's something not quite right in that department for sure.

I'll see what I can do about pics. My ipad and iPhone (I'm cringing at myself at how like such first world problems that sounds!) are both so old and out of date they crash constantly when trying to do anything, and that's if the web page buttons will even press at all. The more that websites get upgraded the less things work on them!

Some bunnies seem very prone to stasis/blockages and that sort of thing. It would make an interesting study to find out why that is - whether it's the rabbit, the owner, the surrounding, the diet ... But it doesn't make it any less worrying when that gas block comes along.

Some people (me included) have had success with forage to alleviate some 'tummy problems', but it's a matter of trial and error.

I'm glad your vet gave you a bottle of Zantac. Very handy to have in the cupboard :D

Back