• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breathing noises.

Hey guys, wanted to do an update for you guys :)
Lady Blue has had her first of two dosages for today, loads of poops in the house,
She still hasn't ventured out into the room, but she's probably still adjusting.
We had her on the bed to soothe her and get her to take her medicine, she seemed to calm and have a nosey around.
I struggled getting her to open her mouth to take the medicine, she would just squirm out my hands and then try to bite me :(
My partner managed to get her to take it by letting her "attack" the syringe and then he squirted it into her mouth whilst she was biting on it - the vet made it look so easy!!
I checked her house for any wee, couldn't find any wet patches (she's on a towel so my room doesn't get covered in sawdust) I'm monitoring her now to ensure she is drinking,
She has a bowl in her house with water - she used to enjoy drinking from a bowl with the others as well as the bottles.
At night time I put the lid back on and attach the bottle so she has two water sources.
She's had some apple this morning to take the horrid taste of the medicine away.
She doesn't seem to be making too much noise out her nose, still using her mouth slightly but we noticed some greenish mucus out her nose this morning....
I wiped it and some hay that'd got stuck in it away (whilst she attacked the wipe)

Is this usual for a bunny to get mucus even now she's on medication?
My partner said maybe it's like us humans, when we take medicine for a cold it starts clearing the crud out by making our noses run??

Atm she's laying down and watching me in the corner of her eye lol :)

Apologies if you've already mentioned it, but has your vet given you Bisolvon? It's a mucolytic, and will help thin the mucous and therefore help it to pass out.

I would keep her with her friends. It's less stressful all round :D

Hey all, I've always kept my buns on sawdust and never had an issue with breathing until Lady Blue, what alternative would you guys suggest, bear in mind I go through a huge bale every 3 weeks of sawdust lol!! So something not costly.
The vets gave me baytril only to give her twice daily, and he gave her two injections at the vets.

Im still not sure about putting her back with the others as the vet said I should keep her separate :/ I don't want to risk making them all ill?

Hey all, I've always kept my buns on sawdust and never had an issue with breathing until Lady Blue, what alternative would you guys suggest, bear in mind I go through a huge bale every 3 weeks of sawdust lol!! So something not costly.
The vets gave me baytril only to give her twice daily, and he gave her two injections at the vets.

Im still not sure about putting her back with the others as the vet said I should keep her separate :/ I don't want to risk making them all ill?

I recommend Fitch : https://www.fitchrecycling.co.uk/fi...dding/fitch-pet-bedding-single-bale-20kg.html

Comes in a huge compressed bale and is much more cost effective than sawdust. I use fitch for all the hamsters, gerbils & the house rabbits litter trays. I go through maybe a bale a month with that lot.

In terms of putting her back - if the vet has advised you not to they may suspect its something that can be passed on. Give them a call and check when will be safe as obviously the longer they are separated the more trouble you'll have putting her back into the group.

I wasn't suggesting that the sawdust had definitely caused her respiratory infection, but it won't be helpful. There are lots of alternatives to sawdust. Fitch would certainly be fine. I have only ever used hay.

I would also query with your vet the reason for keeping them apart. Keeping them separate for any length of time could certainly affect their bond and as I said earlier I would maintain that she will be calmer and therefore get better more quickly when back with her friends.

I don't keep my buns on anything - they have newspaper and hay in their litter trays.

I've tried newspaper and straw in the past by my buns just shred the newspaper and eat the straw
They have a two tier hutch, an outside bungalow and a litter tray.
I'll have a look into this fitch stuff as I've never heard of it, see if there's anywhere I can get it

I've tried newspaper and straw in the past by my buns just shred the newspaper and eat the straw
They have a two tier hutch, an outside bungalow and a litter tray.
I'll have a look into this fitch stuff as I've never heard of it, see if there's anywhere I can get it

The website I posted is the cheapest place I can find as its direct from the supplier. Depending on your postcode, you might not need to pay for delivery.

Morning all
Thought I'd do another quick update on my lady Blue :)
She doesn't seem to be using her mouth as bad now, still like rocking forward with every breath although not as violent.
Every now and then she makes a crackling noise (like we do when we breathe through a snotty nose)
Yesterday I kept tempting her with water and she'd have a sip then turn away from it and hide, I've only just opened up her house and offered her water myself as I noticed the water hasn't gone down, and she instantly turned away from it, she did have an issue yesterday,she drank and then was like making weird noises and shaking her head, I wondered if she got all blocked up and couldn't breathe right? And if thats spooked her and stopped her wanting to drink??
She's got poops in her cage again this morning, I picked all the ones up before bed. She's got a couple squished ones,
Shes not really eating her veg atm, I gave her a parsnip, a carrot, some lettuce and a green bean trying to see of she'd eat, she's taken a couple bites but otherwise left them, which is not normal for her, she normally engulfs them instantly...
Any advice? I'm wondering if her mucus is upsetting her too much?
Oh and she does have wee patch, I've been checking and she has wee'd
I'm going to change her towel today and see if I get another wet patch.

Morning all
Thought I'd do another quick update on my lady Blue :)
She doesn't seem to be using her mouth as bad now, still like rocking forward with every breath although not as violent.
Every now and then she makes a crackling noise (like we do when we breathe through a snotty nose)
Yesterday I kept tempting her with water and she'd have a sip then turn away from it and hide, I've only just opened up her house and offered her water myself as I noticed the water hasn't gone down, and she instantly turned away from it, she did have an issue yesterday,she drank and then was like making weird noises and shaking her head, I wondered if she got all blocked up and couldn't breathe right? And if thats spooked her and stopped her wanting to drink??
She's got poops in her cage again this morning, I picked all the ones up before bed. She's got a couple squished ones,
Shes not really eating her veg atm, I gave her a parsnip, a carrot, some lettuce and a green bean trying to see of she'd eat, she's taken a couple bites but otherwise left them, which is not normal for her, she normally engulfs them instantly...
Any advice? I'm wondering if her mucus is upsetting her too much?
Oh and she does have wee patch, I've been checking and she has wee'd
I'm going to change her towel today and see if I get another wet patch.

Personally I would call the Vet and seek more advice from them. My own experience of caring for Rabbits with a severe RTI is that intensive nursing 24/7 is required. This includes not only giving medication (by injection) but also syringe feeding, this has to be done with extreme care as the risk of a Rabbit aspirating a feed is high if the Rabbit has a RTI. Nebulising may also be necessary. Antibiotics and/or a mucolytic ( a drug to thin out mucus secretions) is usually helpful too. Fluid therapy may also be necessary.

I am wondering if the Vet may feel that Blue needs to be hospitalised as it may be that her infection needs more aggressive treatment. I would also want to ask the Vet about changing to a more 'heavy duty' injectable antibiotic such as Depocillin as Baytril may not be sufficient to deal with a severe infection, especially if it is only given orally.

I do hope that Blue can pull through x

Personally I would call the Vet and seek more advice from them. My own experience of caring for Rabbits with a severe RTI is that intensive nursing 24/7 is required. This includes not only giving medication (by injection) but also syringe feeding, this has to be done with extreme care as the risk of a Rabbit aspirating a feed is high if the Rabbit has a RTI. Nebulising may also be necessary. Antibiotics and/or a mucolytic ( a drug to thin out mucus secretions) is usually helpful too. Fluid therapy may also be necessary.

I am wondering if the Vet may feel that Blue needs to be hospitalised as it may be that her infection needs more aggressive treatment. I would also want to ask the Vet about changing to a more 'heavy duty' injectable antibiotic such as Depocillin as Baytril may not be sufficient to deal with a severe infection, especially if it is only given orally.

I do hope that Blue can pull through x
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Just rang the vets and they can see me at 12:20 today I told her that blue is barely touching her veg and is walking away from me when I offer water as she's not going for it herself.
Let's see what the vet says!
As I say, he breathing seems calmer but this not eating and drinking is worrying me

Just rang the vets and they can see me at 12:20 today I told her that blue is barely touching her veg and is walking away from me when I offer water as she's not going for it herself.
Let's see what the vet says!
As I say, he breathing seems calmer but this not eating and drinking is worrying me

I'm so glad that they are seeing Blue again today. Keeping her GI tract working is really important whilst she fights the nasty infection. Sending lots more vibes for her.

What the hell is that?? I was clipping her claws and noticed she had a dirty bum so was cleaning her, and I saw this.. It's on her tummy, is it an inflamed nipple??
It's soft and squishy but like clear skinish colour :/ kinds feels like a water balloon

What the hell is that?? I was clipping her claws and noticed she had a dirty bum so was cleaning her, and I saw this.. It's on her tummy, is it an inflamed nipple??
It's soft and squishy but like clear skinish colour :/ kinds feels like a water balloon

It may be an enlarged nipple. As she is unspayed I do think you need to ask the Vet to carefully examine her uterus. Sadly uterine tumours are common in unspayed Does aged 5+ as are mammary tumours. Respiratory tract problems can present when the lungs also become involved. Hopefully neither a uterine or mammary problem is involved but I feel I have to mention the possibility as the Vet does not appear to have mentioned anything about it.

If it's an inflamed boobie, what sort of treatment is there? Just more antibiotics?
At her age I know surgery to cure anything will likely kill her, Just trying to keep my spirits up and hoping it's nothing major

If it's an inflamed boobie, what sort of treatment is there? Just more antibiotics?
At her age I know surgery to cure anything will likely kill her, Just trying to keep my spirits up and hoping it's nothing major
It's difficult to tell. A vet will need to examine and discuss options with you dependant on what they find.

I think us discussing it in too much detail without more details from a veterinary examination could potentially cause you distress.

I hope the visit goes well. Please keep us updated.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

If the nipple is 'just' infected then it would be a case of antibiotic treatment. Hopefully The Vet will be able to identify exactly what is going on and provide the most appropriate treatment . As daphnephoebe says, best to wait to see what the Vet finds during examination.

Hey guys, we're home!
The vet said her breathing is much better today and she seems more active.
I showed him the lump and he said it's a booby cyst, he squeezed and some clear liquid came out, he said it'll be fine and will go Away.
He gave her another anti inflammatory injection as I'd given her baytril at 9am.
He weighed her and she has lost 30 something, not a lot he said, he checked her poo (I took a sample) and he said it all looks normal and healthy.
He has advised me to feed her 5ml oxbow every hour to ensure she is consuming something and c
To continue to put the bottle to her to make her drink as she isn't going for it herself.
He also said, she's not contagious, although some bacterial infections are ever so slightly catchable he's not concerned about her spreading it, so i asked if she could go back and he said to leave her another 2 days as he doesn't want her to run around and get wound up and struggle to breathe, hed rather he be relaxed and calm for another few days to help her recover quicker then she can go back.
I'm well chuffed with the news, definitely picked me up hearing she's doing well :)

Lady Blue is laying in her house as I type, giving me the evils haha :)

Back