• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Well with no offence intended to anyone's views and in particular to the advice from John, I don't think atm we have information that is precise enough for me to alter my feeding of forage or tree leaves/bark. My rabbits will receive a large quantity each day of forage and sometimes that mix may contain the same type of plant. It might be that there has not been enough research into this type of issue.

As far as I am aware the Salicylic Acid is contained in the Willow bark, so imo it is wrong to generalise as Willow e.g. Willow leaves should be considered in a different way.

All plants will contain some medicinal properties. If some of these are possibly an issue when interacting with heart meds, then it's not just heart meds that could be affected. I think the issue needs to be considered in the context of how much of those properties are contained in say a handful of leaves. I'm remembering the concern that some people will have about the Calcium content of some foods and FHB's advice regarding that.

There is also the huge benefit of fibre that forage provides for the rabbit's digestion , which also needs to be considered.

Also what about dried forage?

I mean it's still made me think I overfeed mine :lol: and since all plants do have medicinal properties of some kind, whether you have a healthy bunny or one with a condition, I think it's still making sure you give sensible amounts of a variety of different forage, but I'm sure most people do that anyway and we don't need to worry too much :D

I think this is always the best way to go.

My buns tend to get about 10/15 different plants every day - possibly a little less when there are severe weather conditions :)

So basically I am still ok to shower Toby with plantain confetti just be sensible with hawthorn etc

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Well with no offence intended to anyone's views and in particular to the advice from John, I don't think atm we have information that is precise enough for me to alter my feeding of forage or tree leaves/bark. My rabbits will receive a large quantity each day of forage and sometimes that mix may contain the same type of plant. It might be that there has not been enough research into this type of issue.

As far as I am aware the Salicylic Acid is contained in the Willow bark, so imo it is wrong to generalise as Willow e.g. Willow leaves should be considered in a different way.

All plants will contain some medicinal properties. If some of these are possibly an issue when interacting with heart meds, then it's not just heart meds that could be affected. I think the issue needs to be considered in the context of how much of those properties are contained in say a handful of leaves. I'm remembering the concern that some people will have about the Calcium content of some foods and FHB's advice regarding that.

There is also the huge benefit of fibre that forage provides for the rabbit's digestion , which also needs to be considered.

Also what about dried forage?

It's quite a complex area, as most people would give their bunnies willow branches with the leaves on, rather than strip the leaves off.
It also depends very much on the type of willow you feed as to the medicinal properties.

Re Willow leaves ...

http://www.nativetech.org/willow/willow.htm

The inner bark and leaves of many willows contains the medicinal extract, salicin, or salicylic acid (salix is Latin for willow). This chemical is the active ingredient in common aspirin. (acetylsalicylic acid). Native Americans chewed or boiled a tea from the willow's leaves or inner bark to relieve fever or other minor pain like toothaches, headaches, or arthritis.

The leaves also contain anti-tumour properties:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1779808/

For more medicinal uses of willow leaves:

http://wildfoodsandmedicines.com/willow/

Yes I often refer to that :wave:

I was thinking of growing some yarrow in my garden, for the bees and the buns.

Does anyone do this?

I've tried a couple of varieties of Yarrow, which didn't grow well and have now died. However, the wild one has self-seeded from the hedgerow across the road and this is a much stronger plant. I like Yarrow and so do the rabbits. As you say it's also good for pollinators.

I've tried a couple of varieties of Yarrow, which didn't grow well and have now died. However, the wild one has self-seeded from the hedgerow across the road and this is a much stronger plant. I like Yarrow and so do the rabbits. As you say it's also good for pollinators.

I wonder where I can buy seeds or plants from?

I wonder where I can buy seeds or plants from?
What about if you dug up a wildie yarrow and planted it? They always seem to come up roots and all. .

I think the only answer is to fed our bunnies what they would come across in the wild - rabbit royale and whole carrots!

What about if you dug up a wildie yarrow and planted it? They always seem to come up roots and all. .

I think the only answer is to fed our bunnies what they would come across in the wild - rabbit royale and whole carrots!

I suspect you're not being serious, but this is actually illegal ;) https://www.lancashire.police.uk/faqs/wildlife-crime/what-are-the-laws-that-protect-wild-plants/

MM - I've bought seed from this company before https://wildseed.co.uk/species/view/1 If you get seeds or plants from anywhere, that say they are of native origin, they will usually say where in the UK they have come from.

I haven't seen any yarrow around here!

And yes, you're right about the rabbit food :lol:

I suspect you're not being serious, but this is actually illegal ;) https://www.lancashire.police.uk/faqs/wildlife-crime/what-are-the-laws-that-protect-wild-plants/

MM - I've bought seed from this company before https://wildseed.co.uk/species/view/1 If you get seeds or plants from anywhere, that say they are of native origin, they will usually say where in the UK they have come from.

I'll have a look there, thanks Omi.

I wanted the yarrow as much for me and the bees as the buns.

When I was at Kew the other day I was looking at the sorry state of their strawberries (and commiserating) and talking with the staff. It's all down to the pollinators or lack of them :( Kew have their own hives there and even they find the pollination tricky.

All my mountains of forage has come down to four and a half bags!

Bunny forage kebbabys for lunch
24f42c329c14f715a968f66251daa0d3.jpg
5636a7c065d3fc2ac7a41fe7aab22f74.jpg

All my mountains of forage has come down to four and a half bags!

Its tragic what it reduces down to. You'll have to get back out there Loobers. Boo has reduced winter fayre by a considerable amount by helping herself to snacks through the night.

I've not intentionally dug anything up but when it was very dry some stuff came up with roots & wouldn't have settled back in so the bunnies have a huge plantain & some clover from the wild

When you're driving home from work, having managed to get away at a good time, thinking you'll go for a forage for bunny favourites in the large grassy area by the side of your house. Then you get home and find the grass has been cut by the council during the day...devastating :lol::(

When you're driving home from work, having managed to get away at a good time, thinking you'll go for a forage for bunny favourites in the large grassy area by the side of your house. Then you get home and find the grass has been cut by the council during the day...devastating :lol::(

I know that sinking feeling :(

Back