• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

I love the idea of foraging loads of intresting snacks for Thistle, but to be honest I’m too scared :oops:. I’m 99% sure that I passed VHD on to my buns from walking through my field, so I just kind of stick to dandelions and talk grasses from my garden.

Would it be safe to forage for him, even though he’s vaccinated?

I love the idea of foraging loads of intresting snacks for Thistle, but to be honest I’m too scared :oops:. I’m 99% sure that I passed VHD on to my buns from walking through my field, so I just kind of stick to dandelions and talk grasses from my garden.

My lot are all vaccinated and I forage anywhere I can for them, and have for years now :D

I believe vaccination is the key thing. Hay & veggies are likely to be accessed by wildies while they are growing so in a sense no food is safe so the risks of feeding forage are no greater than feeding anything else

We had a successful forage today. We got:
Dandies
Ribwort plantain
Broadleaf Plaintan
Hawthorn
Yarrow

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Yeah we went to the vegan cafe for lunch (nom nom) then went on a big forage walk with my doggy

We had a lovely time and the café was awesome and portions huge - although I managed to nom my way through mine. Loobers and her OH kindly paid for mine too.

We went for a walk by some lakes I didn't even know existed. Loobers had come prepared with bags and cutters and I ended up with a big bag of forage. I admired her doormat (with a bunny on), which came from the Range so I went there on the way home and I am now the proud owner of a bunny doormat too :love:

I also got to stroke the King of the Sploofs - Toby himself :love: :)

My buns were tucking into their forage noms when I came in. They had a carrot too but both went to the forage first.

Huge thanks to Loobers and her OH for sharing their Friday with me.

Breakfast nom nom
4573a187fd5878737bc22175dcf8922e.jpg

Sorry about your car Loobers & you missing the march. Good you had a productive & fun foraging day

Can't believe we have sunshine today & I'm stuck at supermarket for 10 hours :( Had a little forage this morning for mine to keep them settled in my absence

Mus8ISLl.jpg

Breakfast nom nom
4573a187fd5878737bc22175dcf8922e.jpg

What a good (aka sensible) boy he is now :love: (oops sorry Maple :oops:) He's even coping with the spines on the Hawthorn OK :lol: I would have put money on you snipping them all off :lol:

OH told me something interesting about spines. I had thought that they didn't appear quite so much on new shoots. He said that they are an evolutionary reaction to browsing animals to deter the browsing. That bit I could have worked out. However, he said that the reaction is "switched on" more often , in the plant's dna the more the tree or hedge is pruned, as the plant sees this as more browsing. So theoretically if you find some Hawthorn that has never been touched, by animal or secateur, it should have fewer spines :)

Sorry about your car Loobers & you missing the march. Good you had a productive & fun foraging day

Can't believe we have sunshine today & I'm stuck at supermarket for 10 hours :( Had a little forage this morning for mine to keep them settled in my absence

Mus8ISLl.jpg
[/IMG]

I love looking at your pics of mixed forage, trying to identify it all :lol:

Btw, have you noticed the effect the light has given to Boo's fur? It has projected the pink of her inner ears on to her white body, so it looks as though she has two tiny pink lights hiding under each ear :lol:

No :, (

After Karen left we went to big shop and broke down in Morrisons car park!!

My beef cow costume will have to wait for next year

Oh no! How did you get home with all your shopping? :(

Glad to hear you and Rhianna has such a lovely day out though x

I love looking at your pics of mixed forage, trying to identify it all :lol:

Btw, have you noticed the effect the light has given to Boo's fur? It has projected the pink of her inner ears on to her white body, so it looks as though she has two tiny pink lights hiding under each ear :lol:

Joey let the side down by munching on kale first, pilfered from the community garden:lol: Did you not know Boo wears exclusive fairy light earrings;)

Back