• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Ive just come back with a mega haul of tree leaves. I had my husband mortified because id seem some silver birch on the main road coming home in taxi and they still had green leaves. I went and helped myself to loads of leaves while the hubby was trying to hide behind the drooping branches. :lol: I dont think my daughter will be amused because ive put blankets on her bedroom floor and put forage on them covering half her room.

Ive just come back with a mega haul of tree leaves. I had my husband mortified because id seem some silver birch on the main road coming home in taxi and they still had green leaves. I went and helped myself to loads of leaves while the hubby was trying to hide behind the drooping branches. :lol: I dont think my daughter will be amused because ive put blankets on her bedroom floor and put forage on them covering half her room.

Oh W&S you do make me laugh :lol:

Buns first, everyone else after :thumb:

Omi, here is a picture of the plant :)

d6dff63bfe8f1f8e380d51a31a534303.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Omi, here is a picture of the plant :)

d6dff63bfe8f1f8e380d51a31a534303.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks. Yes, I think it's a variegated Cornus Alba, possibly Elegantissima. It's other name is Dogwood.

Still not sure whether it's rabbit safe or not though :)

Thanks. Yes, I think it's a variegated Cornus Alba, possibly Elegantissima. It's other name is Dogwood.

Still not sure whether it's rabbit safe or not though :)

Thank you very much. At least with a name other than Dogwood I might have better luck finding some proper information.

Eta: I may try them with a little once the leaves are gone. At the end of the day they've already eaten all the poisons plants in the back garden and haven't died... (its small shoots of what I'd thought I'd removed, the sap it releases is highly irritant to skin)

Last edited:
Oh W&S you do make me laugh :lol:

Buns first, everyone else after :thumb:

She said her bedroom smells like a forest :lol: I think it smells lovely. They are drying really quick though so wont be there long. She said they better not be because she is not bringing her friends in with a room like a forest Her quote "They will know you are loopy" :shock:

She said her bedroom smells like a forest :lol: I think it smells lovely. They are drying really quick though so wont be there long. She said they better not be because she is not bringing her friends in with a room like a forest Her quote "They will know you are loopy" :shock:

:lol:

They probably know already, and anyway, it's a compliment :lol:

Ive just got home in a taxi and there was a load of ash branches in a pile on a neighbors lawn so i got my foraging bag out and started helping myself, then my neighbor joined me. The council men came round the corner and stood in shock looking at us lol.. I explained what i was doing and he said a vans coming for this lot with some more trees in so i could have a look if i wanted. It had small lime leaves in which i wasnt sure of but the man said hes going around the state cutting all the trees back and was there any specific i wanted. Ive told him and hes going to just drop them on my lawn when hes cut them. Is it sad that i feel like its christmas :lol: I didnt even have to walk to get a load more forage, plus i did a big haul yesterday. Feeling happy. :D

Ive just got home in a taxi and there was a load of ash branches in a pile on a neighbors lawn so i got my foraging bag out and started helping myself, then my neighbor joined me. The council men came round the corner and stood in shock looking at us lol.. I explained what i was doing and he said a vans coming for this lot with some more trees in so i could have a look if i wanted. It had small lime leaves in which i wasnt sure of but the man said hes going around the state cutting all the trees back and was there any specific i wanted. Ive told him and hes going to just drop them on my lawn when hes cut them. Is it sad that i feel like its christmas :lol: I didnt even have to walk to get a load more forage, plus i did a big haul yesterday. Feeling happy. :D

Wow! Fantastic council men! :D

I would feel it was Christmas too :lol:

Well we're part way into November and there's still a lot to be foraged around here. On today's menu we were able to offer Apple leaves (still loads on the trees), Ash leaves (also still loads on the tree), giant Dandelion leaves and flowers (still!), Ribwort Plantain, Ground Elder, Common Hogweed, Cow Parsley and Sow Thistle. Rabbits were happy :D

Well we're part way into November and there's still a lot to be foraged around here. On today's menu we were able to offer Apple leaves (still loads on the trees), Ash leaves (also still loads on the tree), giant Dandelion leaves and flowers (still!), Ribwort Plantain, Ground Elder, Common Hogweed, Cow Parsley and Sow Thistle. Rabbits were happy :D

I haven't so much as you, but I am still rather surprised that I can get:

Dandelions, Cow Parsley, Apple leaves, Pear leaves, Hawthorn, Chickweed, Dead Nettle ... There's probably more I *could* but I have no idea what all the trees are :lol:

I haven't so much as you, but I am still rather surprised that I can get:

Dandelions, Cow Parsley, Apple leaves, Pear leaves, Hawthorn, Chickweed, Dead Nettle ... There's probably more I *could* but I have no idea what all the trees are :lol:

Your list is probably as long as mine:) Ash is really easy to identify and my rabbits love it. The composite leaves make it easy to collect quite a large quantity in a short time too.

The other success story here recently is Green Oat Readigrass. I bought a bag for the first time when Tethra was first ill, as a treat in case he decided to frighten me by not eating. Well he didn't stop eating, but more surprisingly none of the rabbits seemed very keen on the Readigrass. Well fast forward a few weeks and they now love it especially Tan. I sit in their shed with them for a while each evening after doing Tethra's eye drops and feed them a handful of it. Tan gets so excited when she recognises the noise of the bag and rushes to sit it the place where I put it. So cute, she will sit and eat it until it's all gone :) So of course I've had to order several more bags :)

Can I confuse ash with anything else? Having googled it, it looks like a reasonably common tree we have locally

Well like so many trees and plants that I can now recognise, I wonder how I ever failed to do so :) However, Ash leaves are quite distinctive. They are compound and a key feature is that they fall when they are still green. As we have a very large Ash tree in the garden, this makes it easy to collect leaves from the ground that have fallen overnight particularly if it has been windy. I don't think I would do this if I didn't know the ground and who used it.

If you want to get a specimen and post a pic, we can try to identify it for you :) My rabbits really go mad for it.

Back