• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

I hope your buns enjoy their violets MM, I always think they look extra pretty eating flowers

I'm not sure. The one that we have is the Field Maple (Acer campestre), which is mixed in with the boundary hedge, and we feed that. What you have is presumably Acer rubrum. Most of the websites dealing with rabbit safe trees only list Maple and most, but not all, say that it is safe. However, I found this site (US) which deals specifically with the Red Maple. https://www.nwf.org/Wildlife/Wildlife-Library/Plants/Red-Maple.aspx As we've found before it's difficult to find sites that you can rely on for accuracy.

Would I feed it? Yes probably, because it falls under the Acer family the same as Field Maple. I also think that if some Maples were toxic then we would find some mention of which ones. They're not very scientific reasons though :)

Omi - my bunnies & I are in debt to you. I confess they did share a leaf a week or so ago .
I may drill a hole in the tree & attempt to get some maple syrup, I'm sure its not that easy though

I hope your buns enjoy their violets MM, I always think they look extra pretty eating flowers

Omi - my bunnies & I are in debt to you. I confess they did share a leaf a week or so ago .
I may drill a hole in the tree & attempt to get some maple syrup, I'm sure its not that easy though[/QUOTE]

Sounds like fun :) I just had a quick look online to see how to do it and it appears that Feb-Mar is the best time though :( Maybe other sites will say something different.

I've just been checking out youtube videos on it :) I need to get my man to whittle me a draining device & plug. I'm not convinced he'll be up for it.

I have pics but still on my camera.

Quick question: silver birch leaves/twigs: yay or nay?

I'm not sure. Birch is certainly on most lists of safe twigs for rabbits and one would hope that if Silver Birch was unsafe it would have said so.

It really is a shame that we don't have a reliable source of rabbit safe twigs, as there could possibly be so many options for them for the winter.

We should got on a foraging expedition :lol:

I would love to, but realistically it would probably need to be next year now :(

I'm going into hospital soon and then my walking capabilities will be limited for a few months.

I would love to, but realistically it would probably need to be next year now :(

I'm going into hospital soon and then my walking capabilities will be limited for a few months.

Sorry to hear that Omi, I hope they make you all better

Oh gosh, hope everything goes well.

Firstly: Omi, good luck for your forthcoming surgery - I hope it gets you the result you desire and that you recover swiftly. xxx

Okay, so I've got rather a lot to post right now. I hope everyone is ok with me doing multiple posts?

Firstly. Lamium/Dog violet/Pineapple Mayweed pics, as promised:

Lamium galeobdolon (Vareigated)

P1060781_zpsna2ozqry.jpg

recent photo

from April:
20160415_142846_zpscqqxhjf8.jpg

20160415_142923_zpswpyi6fcr.jpg

Dog violet (it's not flowering at the moment, but when it does, they are pretty and purple)

P1060674_zpsmepjb2od.jpg

P1060676_zpskqg9jliz.jpg

Pineapple mayweed (as I said, it stinks of pineapple!)

P1060761_zpszs78gukl.jpg

P1060762_zpshm0am03u.jpg

Back