• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Today's forage walk
2ef65bd05598d8b9cbd0b89035539aa2.jpg
38e8bdfc19de95ccee923f9d71cca594.jpg
9695cdf6bd43a6a79bf7b0fef4ca3ccf.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Looks a pretty walk. What did you get?

Looks a pretty walk. What did you get?
We managed to get some dandy leaves, loads of plantain, Willow, and Hazel also we got some brambles there is loads of crispy hogweed I'm just to scared to pick it because the giant stuff is so dangerous

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I'm loving introducing Rudey to new forage (I'm assuming - it is possible he may have tried these things in his previous home). He adores absolutely everything. New to the menu last night for him was beech and rowan

I'm loving introducing Rudey to new forage (I'm assuming - it is possible he may have tried these things in his previous home). He adores absolutely everything. New to the menu last night for him was beech and rowan

Ooh, I didn’t know you could feed those! I have lots of beech!

I have just stood and watched Tui and Tethra consume their fresh forage breakfast :shock: The capacity they have for consumption of green leaves I find quite astonishing. I think I would struggle to eat that much and when you consider how much smaller they are :lol: I was laughing in particular at Tui this morning. We have lots of Cow Parsley in the garden and most of the plants are now quite large and producing flowers. I had taken the whole top off one such plant. Tui started at the bottom, which was almost as thick as an outer celery stalk and started to make her way up with it not leaving her mouth. When she was half way up she decided it wasn't worth the risk of losing some to Tethra so she carried it off to finish it :lol:

For those that are interested in such trivia, they had Cow Parsley, Chickweed, Sowthistle, Red Deadnettle and lots of very long stalky grass :)

I have just stood and watched Tui and Tethra consume their fresh forage breakfast :shock: The capacity they have for consumption of green leaves I find quite astonishing. I think I would struggle to eat that much and when you consider how much smaller they are :lol: I was laughing in particular at Tui this morning. We have lots of Cow Parsley in the garden and most of the plants are now quite large and producing flowers. I had taken the whole top off one such plant. Tui started at the bottom, which was almost as thick as an outer celery stalk and started to make her way up with it not leaving her mouth. When she was half way up she decided it wasn't worth the risk of losing some to Tethra so she carried it off to finish it :lol:

For those that are interested in such trivia, they had Cow Parsley, Chickweed, Sowthistle, Red Deadnettle and lots of very long stalky grass :)

Lucky bunnies :love: I’m always amazed how quickly a pile of apple sticks are de barked and eaten!

Beech is one of those 'not really sure' plants. It doesn't feature on my usual goto site, which is https://kanin.org/node/190. But it is shown on this site as being OK http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/Branch/Branch_en.htm. And is shown as toxic on this list https://www.thesprucepets.com/safe-woods-and-plants-for-rabbits-1239351

I've never fed it, but I don't have a source, so haven't been tempted.

In our previous house we had beech hedge that divided us from neighbours. I seem to recall JB&M eating more dried leaves in autumn than anything. I did give them a few back then but haven't in recent years as its on the suspect list. But I always get hazel & beech confused, esp when I talk about them (not so much with picking as i use the same trees)

Beech is one of those 'not really sure' plants. It doesn't feature on my usual goto site, which is https://kanin.org/node/190. But it is shown on this site as being OK http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/Branch/Branch_en.htm. And is shown as toxic on this list https://www.thesprucepets.com/safe-woods-and-plants-for-rabbits-1239351

I've never fed it, but I don't have a source, so haven't been tempted.

We’ve got plenty of beech but I only ever give the bunnies things that are really good for rabbits. Anyway, the goats love the beech prunings :lol:

Found a humongous patch of hemlock, well, lots of spread out patches, so I'm thinking of making a video with a comparison as there's loads of cow parsley nearby too:D

Guys I'm absolutely gutted

I dried my forage for a week on my hanging dryer and then when it was crispy dry I put my forage into saved galens garden forage bags

I have just checked it all and it's all got white spores all over the bags and forage and feels damp again :( I thought they would of been ok as they had forage in them before :( :( so many bags and hours spent foraging :, (

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

i'd be gutted too loobers. i also wouldn't have expected that result from reusing bags. It it just Galens bags you used?

i'd be gutted too loobers. i also wouldn't have expected that result from reusing bags. It it just Galens bags you used?
Yes they have a zippy shut bit along the top. Do you think there isn't enough air? The ones in paper bags are fine ;(

Yes they have a zippy shut bit along the top. Do you think there isn't enough air? The ones in paper bags are fine ;(

it must be lack of air if your others are fine. i just use a tiny bit of tape to stop everything falling out if they fell over, so boxes and bags are semi open. pack quite loosely. I think maybe they weren't 100% crispy dry. Good thing you checked now rather than at end of summer

so glad you saw this, I don't want to be poisoning your lovely goats & bunnies

Bless you :love:bBeech is fine for goats, they’d eat the hedge bare if they could :lol: the goats eat ivy, live nettles and huge triffid brambles with thorns too :lol:

Back