• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Guys I'm absolutely gutted

I dried my forage for a week on my hanging dryer and then when it was crispy dry I put my forage into saved galens garden forage bags

I have just checked it all and it's all got white spores all over the bags and forage and feels damp again :( I thought they would of been ok as they had forage in them before :( :( so many bags and hours spent foraging :, (

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Oh no :cry: hugs xx

I am just reading my gardening magazine and it says the name for Cleavers is "Sticky Willy"

Guys I'm absolutely gutted

I dried my forage for a week on my hanging dryer and then when it was crispy dry I put my forage into saved galens garden forage bags

I have just checked it all and it's all got white spores all over the bags and forage and feels damp again :( I thought they would of been ok as they had forage in them before :( :( so many bags and hours spent foraging :, (

I'm sorry :( This is horribly annoying. I think it could be due to the forage not being completely dry or not enough air circulation in the bag. Or maybe a mixture of both.

Just brought home some sow thistle but looking at google the flowers look wrong. Knew I should have kept it separate

my boy Rudey

zZmYAD5l.jpg

Just brought home some sow thistle but looking at google the flowers look wrong. Knew I should have kept it separate

There are two Sowthistles which we often get here, one is the Smooth Sowthistle and the other the Perennial Sowthistle. I must admit I often used to get both of these horribly mixed up with Milk Thistles and even now I usually have to check in the book which one it is that I am seeing.

Talking of Thistles, we have an enormous one, a really evil monster, which has very painful spines. It was there all last Summer and I wouldn't let OH pull it up as it didn't flower and I am having a big problem identifying which one it is. I'm hoping that it will become easier if/when it flowers :)

What are the plants that Rudey is munching his way through?

There are two Sowthistles which we often get here, one is the Smooth Sowthistle and the other the Perennial Sowthistle. I must admit I often used to get both of these horribly mixed up with Milk Thistles and even now I usually have to check in the book which one it is that I am seeing.

Talking of Thistles, we have an enormous one, a really evil monster, which has very painful spines. It was there all last Summer and I wouldn't let OH pull it up as it didn't flower and I am having a big problem identifying which one it is. I'm hoping that it will become easier if/when it flowers :)

What are the plants that Rudey is munching his way through?

willow, plantain, hawthorn, dandelions, herb bobert, grass & baby vetch (that looks really weird in the photo)

thats interesting about the sow thistle types. I need milk thistle for liver detox (my buns of course, not me)

Thanks Loobers. I love his ears too. He is enjoying his first moult since moving here so lost a point on the glossy scale

Lichen. Is it safe for bunnies to eat branches with it on ?

I don't know this for sure and googling isn't super helpful. It really just states the obvious that there are so many different lichen species and you would need to identify which one you had to confirm whether it had toxic properties or not.

I presume you've got some lichen on the Apple sticks? We get lichen on ours and also on the Ash branches. I still feed them with the lichen on, but I'm not sure whether it's safe to do so.

I don't know this for sure and googling isn't super helpful. It really just states the obvious that there are so many different lichen species and you would need to identify which one you had to confirm whether it had toxic properties or not.

I presume you've got some lichen on the Apple sticks? We get lichen on ours and also on the Ash branches. I still feed them with the lichen on, but I'm not sure whether it's safe to do so.

Yes, I googled and found the same! I’ve also fed apple sticks with some lichen on without any ill effects but can’t say it’s definitely safe.

We went out on our bikes down our normal forage route and I saw a wildie run out and binky away from me. It was so cute! Dennis gives me binkies at breakfast time

We went out on our bikes down our normal forage route and I saw a wildie run out and binky away from me. It was so cute! Dennis gives me binkies at breakfast time

Nothing better than a binkying bunny :love:

I also googled & got similar

lucy you Loobers, its such a treat when you see a bunny out foraging. I love that wildies have the same moves. Not as grand as Tobys but there were some super wildie sploofers near my old house

I've no idea :lol: Does it feel spiky or just look it? It's grown quite large hasn't it.

I moved it there last year thinking it was knapweed, I don't know why. it came up with roots during our lovely hot summer last year

Lovely beckside forage today with nobody about as its cloudy. My mission is to have enough dried forage to fill my timothy hay sacks as they empty. These will be mixed bags but I also have boxes of just hawthorn, raspberry, hogweed etc . Need more shelves in my bunny storage room

My garden is in such a state, I went foraging in it this morning and found lots of jumbo ribwort plantain and some giant dandelion leaves:lol:

Back