• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

I am hoping we will be able to identify some other forage between us:):) Looking forward to it. I've never been foraging with another bunny lover - only friends who have thought I was a bit weird picking strange, often prickly, plants in the woods, but humoured me!!!
Me too! Would you like to drive straight to my house after work? I can drive us to the new forest and a few places. Remember to bring your walking shoes! Would you like to come for lunch first? I might swing by and get us some vegan cakes from my local cafe.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Me too! Would you like to drive straight to my house after work? I can drive us to the new forest and a few places. Remember to bring your walking shoes! Would you like to come for lunch first? I might swing by and get us some vegan cakes from my local cafe.

You two are going to have so much fun. Remember to take lots of bags. There is an app that is supposed to be really useul for tree leaf iD but (very helpfully) I can't remember its name

I am only doing one job that Friday so finish at 1145. Lunch would be lovely - thank you

Can buns have Willow Herb, the tall weed with small pink flowers? I think Hamilton had a small amount earlier as it's sprouting up everywhere. Just want to check if it's safe for bunnies or not.

Can buns have Willow Herb, the tall weed with small pink flowers? I think Hamilton had a small amount earlier as it's sprouting up everywhere. Just want to check if it's safe for bunnies or not.

yes its fine. Mine don't like it so much but its perfectly safe

I'm so jealous of everyone that goes foraging for their rabbits. I wouldn't have a clue what to look for, and I'd worry even if I had this thread up on my phone that I'd pick the wrong things! I feel self conscious enough going out into my front garden to cut dandelion leaves and grass with my scissors :lol:

I'm so jealous of everyone that goes foraging for their rabbits. I wouldn't have a clue what to look for, and I'd worry even if I had this thread up on my phone that I'd pick the wrong things! I feel self conscious enough going out into my front garden to cut dandelion leaves and grass with my scissors :lol:

If you go onto the RWAF website, order the "Foraging for Rabbits" by Twigs Way booklet. It is very helpful in identifying what to pick. Start off with a few things that you can recognise. You can already tick off dandelions and grass :lol: A logical next step would be to identify a hawthorn tree or hedge and cut off small twigs. You can always post a pic on here to confirm that you have the correct plant before you feed it. We will help you :) You probably also know wild blackberry/bramble? Bramble leaves in particular are very beneficial to a rabbit's digestion.

We will soon be coming to the end of the foraging season for this year, but with the recent rain I've noticed that a lot of wild plants are springing up again with nice juicy new growth. Hampshire should be good for a while yet too.

If you read through this thread, you will see how everyone has to start from a place where you are atm, but you will get more and more confident in time. Even if you just stick to around 10 different plants, you will be able to feed a lot of forage.

And lastly don't feel self-conscious about picking leaves, especially in your own garden :)

Nice forage walk today.
8610397c1804bb39d9b123931fa821a7.jpg
2bf3f0ec13164da5ee378df2e3a543cf.jpg
59019d9093eb6fd8612f75f569399cb7.jpg
e21af8c0b5172ad961a3055335ecb38c.jpg
52ab3c7b0bb6ede26c1f00508101821d.jpg
f7483ec4cc1f15574a7ab27353c919af.jpg

I think i have found Yarrow?

I have just given it all a wash. Got hawthorn again
6a1a8d578384647dd5696dcab12edc3e.jpg
343103f88c7a1604a6ef88400260c87d.jpg
7fefc53a82452d34120ec50992396179.jpg

If you go onto the RWAF website, order the "Foraging for Rabbits" by Twigs Way booklet. It is very helpful in identifying what to pick. Start off with a few things that you can recognise. You can already tick off dandelions and grass :lol: A logical next step would be to identify a hawthorn tree or hedge and cut off small twigs. You can always post a pic on here to confirm that you have the correct plant before you feed it. We will help you :) You probably also know wild blackberry/bramble? Bramble leaves in particular are very beneficial to a rabbit's digestion.

We will soon be coming to the end of the foraging season for this year, but with the recent rain I've noticed that a lot of wild plants are springing up again with nice juicy new growth. Hampshire should be good for a while yet too.

If you read through this thread, you will see how everyone has to start from a place where you are atm, but you will get more and more confident in time. Even if you just stick to around 10 different plants, you will be able to feed a lot of forage.

And lastly don't feel self-conscious about picking leaves, especially in your own garden :)

Thank you, I'll have to have a go one weekend I think! My rabbits do enjoy the forage I've been buying from the hay experts so it would be great to be able to cut the costs for the amount they get through! :lol:

Nice forage walk today.
8610397c1804bb39d9b123931fa821a7.jpg

Looks like a lovely walk - your dog looks like he's having a great time too! Is that in the New Forest?

Your doggy always looks so happy - & young!! (I know she's not). I'm jealous of your Yarrow - do the buns like it? Will Toby eat it fresh?

Yes, well done :) That's Hawthorn and Yarrow. I'll have a think about your pink plant.
Thank you Omi. That's eleven noms I can find now. I never find dandies or plaintan. I reckon it's all the wildies eating it

Your doggy always looks so happy - & young!! (I know she's not). I'm jealous of your Yarrow - do the buns like it? Will Toby eat it fresh?
We shall see! I will let you know. I'm wondering if it's ok to eat the whole plant including flower heads?

Also thank you for complementing my doggie. Usually we get "awww isn't HE old" [emoji23] poor girl

Thank you, I'll have to have a go one weekend I think! My rabbits do enjoy the forage I've been buying from the hay experts so it would be great to be able to cut the costs for the amount they get through! [emoji38]

Looks like a lovely walk - your dog looks like he's having a great time too! Is that in the New Forest?
I used to do monthly massive orders from the hay expert and Galens garden. Now the only thing I order monthy is plantain as my buns are pellet free and this is their fave food that I want them to have everyday. Foraging is literally ...free food! They really enjoy it too, not only is it nommy but they enjoy all the branches and getting the leafs off.

We went to a place called Pepperbox Hill today. Where in Hampshire are you based? Maybe I could recommend somewhere I know there is noms

I used to do monthly massive orders from the hay expert and Galens garden. Now the only thing I order monthy is plantain as my buns are pellet free and this is their fave food and I want them to have everyday. Foraging is literally ...free food! They really enjoy it too, not only is it nommy but they enjoy all the branches and getting the leafs off.

We went to a place called Pepperbox Hill today. Where in Hampshire are you based? Maybe I could recommend somewhere I know there is noms

My rabbits love Plantain the most too! Yes well that is what I am thinking, I could save a fortune! :D

I'm based near Portsmouth but quite happy to travel Southampton way too (especially as my husband has finally agreed to come with me and give it a try!) :lol:

My rabbits love Plantain the most too! Yes well that is what I am thinking, I could save a fortune! :D

I'm based near Portsmouth but quite happy to travel Southampton way too (especially as my husband has finally agreed to come with me and give it a try!) [emoji38]
Ooo Rihannas neck of the woods. I have never been foraging that way but I want too!

Back