• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Skye :-( - weight loss UD 8th July another GA

That's interesting Jane, thanks. She certainly has never stopped eating like a horse! :lol::love:

Can I ask you something? How did you notice when Morse was having these flare ups? I was very shocked and saddened when JC told me about her inner ear infection as I honestly hadn't got a clue, I had always known that a head tilt could mean an inner ear infection but she didn't have any head tilt, nor balance issues (she could jump on and off her box and shelf normally) so I hadn't suspected a thing. Infact, neither did JC until he saw her Xray, when he examined her ears he said there was some build up but that is quite normal in lops.

I'm just concerned that if we treat this flare up, I might not notice again when she has another one and we can't keep putting her under a GA to check :?

I had to use an otoscope to check his ears every day. Morse only had a head tilt on one occasion when his tympanic membrane ruptured. But the tilt resolved quickly

You would be surprised how many Lops have otitis and show no symptoms at all. That's why I now regularly check all my Lops ears with a scope as I have found it to be the only way to spot a small problem before it becomes a big problem

Tilts/balance issues only occur when the infection is deep within the middle/inner ear. So I suspect that Skye's infection is not yet that deep and more within the outer ear (Otitis Externa).

I had to use an otoscope to check his ears every day. Morse only had a head tilt on one occasion when his tympanic membrane ruptured. But the tilt resolved quickly

You would be surprised how many Lops have otitis and show no symptoms at all. That's why I now regularly check all my Lops ears with a scope as I have found it to be the only way to spot a small problem before it becomes a big problem

Tilts/balance issues only occur when the infection is deep within the middle/inner ear. So I suspect that Skye's infection is not yet that deep and more within the outer ear (Otitis Externa).

Thanks. Skye does have an inner ear infection as it showed up on the Xrays, but as it's both sides is not displaying the classic head tilt signs. I will have to ask JC when I next speak to him/see him what to look out for in future. I do feel awful that it went un-noticed but I know that if she had been displaying any kind of symptom I would have noticed it as I'm always fussing over their health.

What do you look out for down the otoscope? As JC looked down her ears with one and said she does have some build up, but that's not uncommon in lops

Thanks. Skye does have an inner ear infection as it showed up on the Xrays, but as it's both sides is not displaying the classic head tilt signs. I will have to ask JC when I next speak to him/see him what to look out for in future. I do feel awful that it went un-noticed but I know that if she had been displaying any kind of symptom I would have noticed it as I'm always fussing over their health.

What do you look out for down the otoscope? As JC looked down her ears with one and said she does have some build up, but that's not uncommon in lops

Behind the wax build up there can be pus. The ear canals can look inflamed and if you sniff the end of the speculum it can have a nasty smell.

Glad you've got some answers. Hope the treatment helps and she puts weight on again soon. Sending lots of vibes for Skye xx

I'm pleased that you have, at least, found part of the problem. Hopefully the bloods won't take long to come back.

Bloods indicate liver issues, so she is going in week after next to have her ear flushed/cleared and potentially something put in to help clear the inner infection, and a biopsy taken.

She seems a lot brighter and more active now the medication has started to kick in :) hopefully she will put on some more weight between now and when she goes back to see John

Bloods indicate liver issues, so she is going in week after next to have her ear flushed/cleared and potentially something put in to help clear the inner infection, and a biopsy taken.

She seems a lot brighter and more active now the medication has started to kick in :) hopefully she will put on some more weight between now and when she goes back to see John

I missed this update.
Good news that the medication is helping.
Hope all goes well at your next appointment.

Thanks

Skye is fine, she seems a bit brighter (although she was never really not-bright in the first place!) and she looks as if she has steadied her weight in the past week - but as my scales are not particularly accurate I will have to wait until Monday to see if she has put on any more weight.

She is booked in next Tues for the ear flush and biopsy, currently I am unsure as to whether she will need another operation to remove the antibiotic capsule they may inplant in her ear (he will put one in if he thinks it's necesary) but will ask that Q on Monday eve when I drop her off.

In the meantime there has been lots of DBF'ing, she really is the queen of DBF in our household :love:

Dropped the frenchies off at the vets earlier, Skye is having another GA tomorrow for an ear flush and liver biopsy, I hope it all goes ok. I'm a nervous wreck when they're at the vets, I hate leaving them there :cry:

Loads of vibes, hope everything goes well and you have your lovely girly home soon! :love:

Skye is such a star, she sailed through the GA today, they flushed her ears out (they were awful) and put some antibiotic capsules in

She was weighed properly and now weighs 2.92kg :D which was the best news ever as 2 weeks ago she weighed 2.2kg, I can't explain how relieved I am she is putting the weight back on

Back next week to have the capsules removed, still continuing with the meds for the foreseeable future

So glad to hear that the op went well and that Skye has put a good amount of weight back on. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery xxx

Well done Skye :) bless her. I've not heard of those capsules before, are they slow release? hope they help her & that the biopsy is ok. Top up vibes x

Well done Skye :) bless her. I've not heard of those capsules before, are they slow release? hope they help her & that the biopsy is ok. Top up vibes x

Yes, they release antibiotics over a week period - she had another GA yesterday to remove them and this time he scanned the liver (didn't do it last time) and said it's very gritty and so has taken a biopsy. John is very happy with her ear infection, he said it's cleared up lots but we are still on antibiotics for at least the mid-term.

She worried us all last night as she has been fab with all the other GA's and been her normal bouncy self when we got home but last night she was clearly unhappy and hunched up in the corner not really interested in food, so I had to manually medicate her (usually I just make a pellet mush and put it all in there) and thankfully when I checked on her before I went to bed and gave them some more pellets she was more interested in them (it was either she ate them or we were hot footing it to the emergency vet - she must have heard me saying! :lol: ) - I'm now wondering whether they gave her the morning medication dose as she looked in pain, and after her evening Metacam dose she perked up :?

Thanks for your vibes everyone :love:

John has rang with the results of the liver biopsy, he said there's excess yeast present which he said is very unusual. Anyway it's continue as normal with current meds to get her weight back up and monitor the liver from now on as it doesn't seem to be causing ancilliary problems (bloods are now back to normal)

So my girly is over the worst now, 3 GA's down and we are on the road to recovery with no more invasive procedures for the forseeable future :D

Oh bless her, 3 GA's :shock: your nerves must be in shreds! I really hope she continues with her recovery.

What does the excess yeast mean, did the vet say? Sorry I'm just nosey :eek::

Nose rubs for your brave girl x

Back