• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Skye :-( - weight loss UD 8th July another GA

Hope the appointment is going well.

Am happy to come and give her some more reiki at any time. She seemed content enough taking it.

Thanks for your vibes everyone

Skye has been admitted and they are going to put her under a GA tomorrow and do a full dental exam, more bloods, X-rays and ultrasound to try and identify what's making her so poorly. Noah is there with her keeping her calm I hope.

Whilst it was horrible leaving her there I also feel very relieved as I finally feel like we might get to the bottom of what's making her poorly

Well the receptionist just rang me (was expecting the vet to tbh!) and wanted to arrange for me to pick Skye up this evening at 6 and see a vet nurse at the same time. Wouldn't give me any more information than that :? - so I assume she has got through the GA ok, and they will tell me more later.

Well the receptionist just rang me (was expecting the vet to tbh!) and wanted to arrange for me to pick Skye up this evening at 6 and see a vet nurse at the same time. Wouldn't give me any more information than that :? - so I assume she has got through the GA ok, and they will tell me more later.

Glad she's woken up and I hope you finally get some answers xx

Right, only just managed to sit down to update this thread

Skye had x-rays, more blood tests and a full examination under GA today.

Her teeth and teeth roots are fine (thank goodness as they are excluded from insurance due to her previous dental)

She has an inner ear infection - this really confused me as she has been showing no signs of head tilt or balance problems, apparently the head tilt only will show if it's one side of the ear that's got the infection, as both sides of hers are, she didn't show any usual signs

She also has arthritis in her hips and knees - I'd noticed in the past few weeks she had been slowing up a bit but I had (wrongly) assumed that was muscle wastage due to the extreme weight loss.

She also had a gassy caecum - which even JC was surprised at as she is eating and pooing normally and has been throughout

So she has been sent home tonight with Septrin for the ear infection, Metacam for joints/ear and Cisapride for her gassy caecum

So although I'm pleased that she is being treated for the issues she has, unfortunately it brings us no closer to diagnosing her rapid weight loss as those things alone wouldn't really cause it.

We are waiting on the results of some further blood tests so hopefully they will shed some more light on what is wrong.

She is happy as ever though, and enjoyed a very long head rub tonight and a run out on the grass. She especially liked her pellet mush which I hid all the medication in :love:

ETA: Also - thank goodness for insurance. Skye's vet bills are now at a total of just under £800 for the diagnostics so far :shock:

Really glad you've got some answers at least. Hopefully the medication will sort out those issues, odd about the weight loss though :?

I'm pleased you have found some things and been able to start treatment for them. Sounds like she was happy to be home :love:

When Morse had flare ups of his chronic ear disease the weight would fall off him overnight. Yet he continued to eat like a Horse throughout. So I would not totally discount chronic otitis as being at least in part the reason Skye has lost a lot of weight xx

When Morse had flare ups of his chronic ear disease the weight would fall off him overnight. Yet he continued to eat like a Horse throughout. So I would not totally discount chronic otitis as being at least in part the reason Skye has lost a lot of weight xx

That's interesting Jane, thanks. She certainly has never stopped eating like a horse! :lol::love:

Can I ask you something? How did you notice when Morse was having these flare ups? I was very shocked and saddened when JC told me about her inner ear infection as I honestly hadn't got a clue, I had always known that a head tilt could mean an inner ear infection but she didn't have any head tilt, nor balance issues (she could jump on and off her box and shelf normally) so I hadn't suspected a thing. Infact, neither did JC until he saw her Xray, when he examined her ears he said there was some build up but that is quite normal in lops.

I'm just concerned that if we treat this flare up, I might not notice again when she has another one and we can't keep putting her under a GA to check :?

I agree with this. We just cannot get extra weight on taz despite him eating loads more than a normal rabbit. I find that any rabbit fighting a chronic infection anywhere in their body have weight issues

Back