• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is a shreddie a day ok?

weeble

Albert has been put on metacam daily for the next couple of weeks possibly long term. He is a complete baby and cries when he is picked up and when you try to syringe him

I remembered reading someone had put meds on a shreddie so tried that and he Wolfed it down so as title is one a day ok?

Albert has been put on metacam daily for the next couple of weeks possibly long term. He is a complete baby and cries when he is picked up and when you try to syringe him

I remembered reading someone had put meds on a shreddie so tried that and he Wolfed it down so as title is one a day ok?

I would say that it should be fine.

For a healthy bunny as a treat, I'd say no. But for giving meds, the stress of forcing him to have it would probably be more harmful than the shreddie. Giving them something that you wouldn't usually, whether it be bread, shredded wheat, oats or fruit juice, is often preferable to stressing them out.

If you're after a healthier solution, or if he's got a sensitive tum, I'd recommend Critical Care/Recovery, a small amount made up and meds mixed in. The strong taste covers the taste of all medication I've tried, and the stuff is designed to be tasty but good for tummies. I just offer in a small bowl or spoon-feed.

Might be worth trying him with the metacam without picking him up... just offering the syringe or putting on a spoon as a treat, as a lot of bunnies actually like the taste of metacam. It may be the picking up or force feeding that he is objecting to, rather than the med itself.

Thanks guys will try the spoon option he does have a tendency to pick things up and throw them though so could get messy!

For a healthy bunny as a treat, I'd say no. But for giving meds, the stress of forcing him to have it would probably be more harmful than the shreddie. Giving them something that you wouldn't usually, whether it be bread, shredded wheat, oats or fruit juice, is often preferable to stressing them out.

If you're after a healthier solution, or if he's got a sensitive tum, I'd recommend Critical Care/Recovery, a small amount made up and meds mixed in. The strong taste covers the taste of all medication I've tried, and the stuff is designed to be tasty but good for tummies. I just offer in a small bowl or spoon-feed.

Might be worth trying him with the metacam without picking him up... just offering the syringe or putting on a spoon as a treat, as a lot of bunnies actually like the taste of metacam. It may be the picking up or force feeding that he is objecting to, rather than the med itself.

Like these ideas. As my bunny leah is now getting very unhappy and stressed from the amount of meds i have to syringe her.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

I would say it's okay, but I would also suggest that every few days you offer him the syringe on the floor. Nena cottoned on fairly quickly that she could eat it straight from the syringe and it saves a lot of hassle. He may not cotton on, but I think it's worth the extra 30 secs to give him the option every so often. It really helps for the future if he does get into the habit! Nena will eat anything but the most nasty stuff out the syringe. Alternatively, he may decide it's not worth taking it out of the syringe since he then doesn't get his yummy shreddie :lol:

Metacam on it's own it apparently quite tasty so I find poking their nose until they are annoyed and pick it up to throw, then realise actually this is quite tasty can be enough to mean they start grabbing the end of the syringe as soon as it's close in future :lol:

I think a shreddy is fine though, it's basically just wheat with a bit of sugar to stick it together but not enough that I think it would cause an issue (unless a bun has a particularly sensitive tum).

I use a tiny piece of weetabix for Doughnuts medicine but have discovered she likes most of it. I just offer her the syringe now and she puts her mouth over it and I push it in. This is for metacam as well as it's honey flavoured.

Metacam on it's own it apparently quite tasty so I find poking their nose until they are annoyed and pick it up to throw, then realise actually this is quite tasty can be enough to mean they start grabbing the end of the syringe as soon as it's close in future :lol:

I think a shreddy is fine though, it's basically just wheat with a bit of sugar to stick it together but not enough that I think it would cause an issue (unless a bun has a particularly sensitive tum).

I thought they were knitted by nannas...i've been misled :(!

i know our dogs love the taste of metacam even though they all fought not to have it at first.

Could you also try putting it on a strong scented herb? Something like mint, thyme, or basil could work?

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

Back