• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Jack

<3jackyboy<3

Young Bun
hello! :) I am the owner of the 8 year old, who is an inquisitive outdoor rabbit that i absolutely adore!!!
jack has never received myxomatosis vaccinations- or any vaccination for that matter. In fact, he has never been to the vet! This may sound extremely bad on me, but Jack has never given me any concern to go to the vet, i never wanted to neuter him either, and i am positive that no diseases that could harm him in the area (and the fact that he is 8 proves this :) )in fact, i had not even known about vaccinations until maybe a year ago, by which point i thought it would be waayyy to stressful for him to go to a vet, when he struggles to be comfortable with any member of my family except me! :) .However, i would like to understand why these vaccinations are treated as if they are essential, when jack is doing just fine without them :p ? :) do not get me wrong- i am not saying the vaccinations are unimportant, and i do believe that they should be administered in areas where other animals (or anything else for that matter) could pass them these diseases! but, are the vaccinations really necessary in areas like mine, where there is virtually no threat? :)
thank you very much!! :D

I am not sure whereabouts you live, I know there are areas in the world which don't have Myxomatosis and VHD but nowhere in the UK is free from these 2 killer diseases for rabbits. When I first kept rabbits I wasn't aware of the necessity for vaccinations and unfortunately I lost several beautiful rabbits to Myxi. It is a horrific disease with no cure, but if a rabbit has been vaccinated and he happens to still catch it, he stands a much greater chance of recovering.

VHD is also a fatal disease.

Myxi can be carried by rabbit fleas, mosquitos, in fact any biting insect. It can be carried on your shoes etc, rats can bring it into the garden, so your rabbit has been very lucky.

Hello, glad your rabbit has been healthy so far. What kind of area do you live in? I don't think rabbits have to actually come into contact with wild rabbits to catch myxi. I've heard it can be carried in their poo and even the poo of wild birds. Hence why it is important to vaccinate. Even for indoor bunnies. I think most people on here would rather be safe than sorry

i live in a small town on top of a hill, in a house with very little wildlife, in a countryside area- but not as in a place surrounded by fields, my town is quite modernized if you no what i mean :p. There has never been any rats near my house, or my neighbors' (thank god!!! :p), and i am EXTREMELY conscientious of the cleanliness of my rabbit in the way of bugs :p :D I have bought many rabbit friendly sprays which have resulted in many bug bustings :p I have owned a rabbit before jack, and he never suffered from any such problems, and was sadly killed by a Labrador :'( :'( just out of interest, how long have these vaccinations been available? :)

Do you get mosquitos?
Does your rabbit have access to grass, fresh air etc?

Mosquitos transfer Myxi and VHD and so do little Mites which live in the grass, hay, trees etc.
Do you have contact with other pets? Fleas transfer Myxi and VHD as well and easily travel on your clothes and onto your rabbit.
Just standing next to dog or a cat is enough.

You need to vaccinate your rabbit because there is no treatment against VHD once your rabbit has it is fatal within hours.
The survival rate for Myxi is next to none.

There have been a couple of people on here who didn't vaccinate their rabbits and it ended very badly- for the rabbits.

Mine are indoor rabbits and I still vaccinate them for the above mentioned ways a rabbit can be infected.

I asked my vet if I could get my rabbits used to.her surgery before they actually got vaccinated. I visited twice and each time they just received treats and cuddles so they associated the vet with treats and cuddles.

To this day mine love going to the vets cos they associate a vet visit with naughty rabbit treat they only ever get at the vets.
I am also the one who holds them when they get the vaccinations.
This is very important cos your animal knows you.

At my vet £30 for both vaccinations and they last for 12 month :thumb:

Last edited:
i hav no mosquitos, i have never found any form of flea on jack, and i do hav a yorkie- but he has never ever had fleas! :p cookie is fully vaccinated, and is very much a lapdog (hes a yorkie :p ) who has never come into contact with a rat, or any other type of animal related :p! how much do vaccinations cost :) ? thank you!!! X

Even if you've never seen a mosquito, flea or rat etc doesn't mean there not around. All my rabbits are vaccinated even my indoor bunny. A once yearly vaccination of around £30 could save your rabbits life. I think it's definitely worth ringing around local vets to find a rabbit savvy one and discuss the options for your bunny with them. Your incredibly lucky to have not had to visit the vets in 8 years, I'm there so much I will have my own chair in the waiting room soon :lol:

My outdoor and indoor rabbits are vaccinated but I don't spend long enough outside (overnight etc) to see if there are any bugs etc ;) I don't think anyone could say for sure that where they live is disease/predator proof etc, unless you lived in a bubble or on lock down. Like Amy said, even if you can't see them they're definitely around. I also live in an area that sounds very much like yours, but personally I wouldn't want to risk it, myxi & VHD are killers.

The cost depends on your vets so you would have to ring up/check their website. Ours is £20.50 for the combi jab and that includes a free check up so it's totally worth it. A check up at least once a year is something I would aim for too, for a full check over to make sure teeth, eyes etc are fine.

Last edited:
thank you so much! :D I am definitely seriously considering gettimg my jack vaccinated! just have to move house first :thumb::thumb::thumb:
thank you again for all your wonderful info!!! :D X

:O

Oh my goodness! Just went to vets- costs £38.32! Going to go to other vet where I live too tho- hope the price is a bit lower!!! :) do any of u no the cost of the vaccines in petsathome?! X :D

Back