• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

They must be a way of keeping water clean

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
Seriously, have I missed an invention somewhere?! My water bowls are constantly filled with poops and hay, even changing them 3 times a day isn't keeping them clean. There MUST be a way of keeping them clean, or at least, cleaner. Anyone got any tips? I'm thinking a slightly raised platform or stand, or perhaps a half covered box that they can only get to half the bowl, so the other half would be less likely to get bits in.

I had dispensers, and they kept toppling them over and flooding the floor. So I went back to bottles, but they really do prefer bowls. So I bought the biggest, heaviest bowls I have ever seen on Sunday. They seem to be enjoying watching me change them each time I walk past the shed. :roll:

It's really getting frustrating! :evil:

Last edited:
I keep my bunnies one as far away from their litter trays as poss, that stops them dragging hay and poops in it. :thumb:

I swear sometimes Scamp picks his treat ball up and drops it in the water bowl just because he's feeling grumpy.

I guess if your rabbits are fit and active a raise platform might work, providing they can't check them off :lol:

I have bowls underneath my bottles, not only do they catch drips, but because they're right at the edge of the hutch they don't poop so much there... they are a nightmare for tipping them tho' :roll:

My two kept getting hay and poo in their bowl, so I moved it to their bedding area which is on carpet and separate from hay and litter trays. I haven't had a problem since, it stays clean for 24 hours! :) I have a bottle and second bowl downstairs just in case someone decides to throw a tantrum though :lol:

Both my boy buns love piling things, their bowls are far enough away from the litter trays to stay reasonably clean but most days I have to keep removing the floating toys! :roll:

Poppy does not do this. She is a good girl :love:

Kizzy will sit in front of her bowl (she refuses to drink out of a bottle) have a little scratch, fur will float down onto the surface of the water. She will then sniff at it, back up as if disgusted to find hair in her water and then thump loudly. Clearly this is a signal for one of her human slaves to provide a fresh bowl. Naturally we comply immediately.

re putting the bowl on a raised platform. I put Luna's bowl on the paving slabs that the run sits on while she was enjoying the grass in the outdoor pen. She hopped over to the bowl, and seemed a bit put out that it was an inch higher than usual. She started pulling it towards herself, and I told her it would end badly (but did she listen? :lol: ) she pulled it off the edge, drenched herself in water and then ran off, seriously affronted, and kicking water everywhere. She then sat in the corner and sulked for a good 10 minutes :lol:

Kizzy will sit in front of her bowl (she refuses to drink out of a bottle) have a little scratch, fur will float down onto the surface of the water. She will then sniff at it, back up as if disgusted to find hair in her water and then thump loudly. Clearly this is a signal for one of her human slaves to provide a fresh bowl. Naturally we comply immediately.

:lol:

as always, I'm going to recommend this.
52042_kerbl_kaninchentraenk_1.jpg

It has a little bowl on the end so from their point of view it's virtually the same (mine actually seem to prefer it), but it's off the ground so stays much cleaner. I find it a lot easier than bowls as well.

Otherwise, you could look at a coop cup which you could attach to mesh a bit off the ground?

I swear sometimes Scamp picks his treat ball up and drops it in the water bowl just because he's feeling grumpy.

I guess if your rabbits are fit and active a raise platform might work, providing they can't check them off :lol:

My Nahla puts all of her toys in her water bowl, sometimes I just sit and watch her do it because it's so funny :lol:

re putting the bowl on a raised platform. I put Luna's bowl on the paving slabs that the run sits on while she was enjoying the grass in the outdoor pen. She hopped over to the bowl, and seemed a bit put out that it was an inch higher than usual. She started pulling it towards herself, and I told her it would end badly (but did she listen? :lol: ) she pulled it off the edge, drenched herself in water and then ran off, seriously affronted, and kicking water everywhere. She then sat in the corner and sulked for a good 10 minutes :lol:

Aww but did she learn not to do that again? I'm quite happy for mine to have a soaking if it teaches them not to repeat that! :lol:

Our setup has a ramp so I tuck the bowl underneath that, the buns can get their heads in to drink but it's protected from falling hay and fat bunny bottoms!

Back