• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plant ID please! ;-)

chelle

Warren Veteran
Hi all...my inlaws planted a meadow garden....got loads of ribwort plantain...but there was like a ground cover - it was spread over alot of the plants....here is some pics...any ideas what it is? and can buns eat it? so far they have stolen some by accident with no adverse effetcs...but I see there are pods...first ones I actually saw was when I was photographing them....

hopefully the buns can eat them as there is loads! :p

IMG_4793.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4794.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4796.jpg

IMG_4802.jpg

Last edited:
if it has pods then must be related to the pea family. Could be some sort of vetch? I expect it is safe if related to the pea family but cant say 100%. Did it have a flower in the summer? If so what colour?

hi, I didnt see it in the summer...so have no idea about the flowers unfortunately ...but there is just loads of it covering the meadow garden he planted.:? It all comes up when you pull one piece.

sooooo...reckon I can feed them it?
:p
I was going to also dry some and add it to their winter foraged goods - dries up really small though...

I darn't say yes but I do think it will be fine if its got pea pods. Its either a type of vetch or wild pea but I don't want to say 100% yes! I will have another look on google images see if I can find it.

It looks very like Lathyrus vestitus (wild pea) and the pea (leaves and pods) are safe for bunnies.

Maybe search on google images and just check the leaves are the same as your plant.

I would give them a little bit first just to be sure but I really think it is safe.

thanks for looking for me!:p really appreciate it;)

Ive looked at the leaves of the Lathyrus vestitus...they seem to be identical opposite each other off the main stem...where as the plant i have has a small stem off the main stem and then leaves.:?

not sure now:)

lucerne seems right but then the pods are wrong arent they? the ones i have are not all curled up and twisted:?

alfalfa seems really right too...but the seeds seem small little round things.:?

edited to say...Ive just found this whilst searching the internet lol! But still not real conclusion?
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?247387-Seed-pods-in-hay-are-they-safe

Last edited:
Back