• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dieting for bunnies

Hi everyone

Thank you to Grace for finally helping me log on! [emoji847]

I have put our buns on a diet and wanted to check how much we feed them now. Mr Chief is now 6.1kgs and Lillabelle is 6kgs. They are both similar size and build naturally but Lillabelle may possibly be slightly bigger? I think they should be around 5.8kgs although I would have to check this with a vet. Mischief has a big belly but Lillabelle feels about right but has a slightly pot belly.

The main problem is that Mr Chief is an absolute piggy. He puts his feet in the bowl of greens so it is harder for Lillabelle to get any. He also lies by the bowl to guard it. We realised he has been gaining weight but I didn't realise until weighed him just how much!!

We have decided to feed their greens seperately. They now have 70-80g each in the morning and evening. They have 3 of the following each feed...greens, curly kale, spinach, cavolo nero, cabbage, coriander, parsley and celery.

Mischief guzzles his greens down in one go whereas Lillabelle is a dainty eater and only eats about a quarter in first go. We now put her bowl up until later and she gradually eats hers. Hence why Mischief has got so fat as we fed them more than this jointly!

They have dried feed in the evening. They have this to share and both love this! Lillabelle eats as good as Mischief in this feed I think. I use a bowl to measure this out which is about a good handful size. They have a bowlful of dandelion leaves, a bowl of plantain and 2 bowls of a mixed feed of herbs, flowers and leaves usually. They also have equivalent of medium size dandelion root. Before I fed them more and did not measure it. Just gave them a handful or more of each!

They also have 1-2 loops from Selective Naturals each per day if they really beg and won't leave me alone! (I have 3 boxes of these to get rid of)Or a half each of fibrestick. They did have 4 loops a day so I am phasing these out slowly.

They have a mixture of good quality meadow hay and timothy hay which I fill up every evening in material hay nets by their litter trays. And I fill up lots of ball type toys with hay aswell. They both eat a lot of hay and their poops are big and soft. They wee plenty aswell.

My queries are if this is a good healthy diet for them and help Mischief and Lillabelle lose weight? Once they reach 5.8kgs I was thinking of adding half an egg cupful of pellets which again I would feed seperately and watch carefully. Would that be a good thing to do? Or are they better off without pellets?

What changes (if any) would make their diet healthier? Are the amounts ok for now or what should I change? Are these dried feeds ok for them? Are there dried foods to avoid if they are dieting?

Should I cut out treats totally? I have already dropped this from 4 loops a day so I will phase these out slowly.

Also should they have probiotics if they do not get fed pellets? If so which probiotics would you recommend? Do they need any other vitamins/minerals or anything else added to their current diet?

Thanks everyone [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Their diet sounds nice, very similar to what I feed my bunnies. but I'd wean them off nuggets (or feed more minimally) & lose the treat hoops, especially as they are heavier than you'd like them to be .
I personally don't think they'd need any supplements on top. I think your plan of cutting out the treats & slowly reducing nuggets is fine. You can reassess them then.

Their diet sounds nice, very similar to what I feed my bunnies. but I'd wean them off nuggets (or feed more minimally) & lose the treat hoops, especially as they are heavier than you'd like them to be .
I personally don't think they'd need any supplements on top. I think your plan of cutting out the treats & slowly reducing nuggets is fine. You can reassess them then.
Well I don't think I said but I weaned them off nuggets a year ago after reading on here that they don't need them. But yes I realise they shouldn't have the loops after reading the ingredients.

Thank you fo your reply. I will weekly to monitor their weight. I only have bathroom scales and they are not very good at showing their exact weight. What scales do you use? I need to get some.

I think they have lost a little weight already which is good. I realise they have to lose weight slowly so I am happy you agree with their diet [emoji847]

I have checked Lillabelle over today and she feels really slim with no extra tummy already and she keeps begging for food constantly.

I do see her eating hay a lot and she has been eating hay today. I'm not really sure what to do. Should I give her pellets in this case? I can feed her separately from Mischief.

Thanks

I would weigh her every 3 days. If she is maintaining her weight then she is eating enough without pellets. If her weight keeps dropping then she would need a small portion of pellets.You could give her a few hand fed pellets as a treat every few days. It’s far better for a Rabbit to be on the lean side than to be over-weight

Digital Baby scales are good to use to weigh Rabbits. You don’t have to pay a fortune for them

I have these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35280358...|tkp:BFBMzqrUmb1h&LH_BIN=1&LH_ItemCondition=3

Thank you. That helps a lot. I think she may need pellets in time as she appears to be losing weight quickly.

I did look at these. They are not that expensive either. Thanks Jane xx

We have done a weigh in and Mischief is still the same at 6.1kg but Lillabelle has lost 0.2kgs at 5.6kgs.

We have not yet bought proper scales so these ones we use are not accurate.

Lillabelle does not seem to be eating much hay tbh so we are going to introduce half an egg cupful of pellets fed to her by hand to make sure Mischief does not see or try to eat them. Also encourages her to come up to us more as she is a bit nervous. See what happens in 3 days time [emoji847]

Back