• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Experience with dental issues and insurance?

lucyb2797

New Kit
Hi there,

I don't post very often but I have a little 2 year old cross (probably mini rex x lop but could be anything as apparently mum was a stray) Nuri who might potentially have future dental issues. Recently on a health check a vet picked up that his teeth had slightly uneven wear and may need filing in the future but were apparently okay for the time being. Personally I would've asked more questions but it was my boyfriend who went for the checkup with him so I don't know any more than that.

I'm a bit concerned about future dental issues as I've heard these can be costly and cause all sorts of complications. My boy is on a pretty much the ideal diet for dental buns anyway as he's pellet free, is a great hay eater and gets loads of wild forage like brambles, tree leaves and twigs and is also a big chewer of wood and loves his willow toys etc, so fingers crossed the wear evens itself out I guess.

However, I am looking to get him insured and I notice a lot of insurance providers exclude things like teeth trimming, so I'm wondering if anybody who has dental buns has had good experiences with insurance that covers them, in the case that Nuri does need dental work in the future?

Also I am slightly concerned if it was noted on his file that he had the potential for future issues that he might be considered to have a 'pre-existing condition' or 'previous signs of illness' by insurance companies thus dental issues are noted as an exclusion, but I'm hoping that as it was never something he's received treatment for or actually caused him any issues it won't be? Has anyone tried to get insurance cover in such instances and been refused?

Thanks so much for any help, if anything I'd love to hear more about your experiences with buns with similar issues to Nur, and also experiences with insurance any any recommendations you have!

I've included a pic of Nur for appreciation of his cuteness :love:

319805770_5795264233894776_6618201872363483571_n.jpg

Ah he is cute! :love: I work with pet insurance through my job, you are right many would see this as a pre existing now. However some policies have clauses such as if the pet hasn't had any treatment/problems for a year, and the vets confirm this through letter, then the exclusion can be removed.

There isn't as many companies that have rabbit polices. I've been with PetPlan and they paid for a dental, they put a note saying they don't cover teeth trimming but since this was done as part of treatment (for not eating) it was covered. This rabbit was insured since very young though so no query over pre existing.

I now have my rabbits insured with Agria and have claimed for dental but it hadn't been paid out yet so we will see if they cover it!

I personally have never had an insurer cover dentals but hopefully as Liz47 says you can find a company that does cover them. Mine have all specifically said its excluded unfortunately. That said, it seems like Nuri does have a really good diet so hopefully that can put off any potential dentals.

And yes he is very cute!

It's highly likely to have been written in the records from my experience, sadly. I can't add anything useful about the insurance aspect, other than has already been said. However, I have several rabbits where the vets comment on uneven teeth every year and have never needed dentals.

I thought nearly all pet insurance companies had excluded dental issues now as it's the most common problem with Rabbits.

However if a dental cost about £100 or so, usually the first £75 isn't covered anyway.

Back