• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

worried sick (heart murmur found, home )

What quantity of pellets does she have a day? I know both of mine would be too thin if I stuck to the amount many people on here give to their bunnies, she may well have a very fast metabolism and needs lots more to keep weight on.

What veg does she have? Herbs may help and small amounts of carrot - grated if teeth may be a problem?

she has cabbage medley and one chardoney carrot at night, sometimes, celery but not had for a while, ive been out to get her greens
and got her green leaves this time instead as morrions didn;t have cabbage medley which i get from tescos, getting her ready for her app

mabel saw a new lady vet, who is very interested in rabbit medicine, her guts sound fine, her teeth alittle tilted so will have them redone, but
the worrying bit is she heard a heart murmur :cry: she going to have a heart scan, and dental at same time, they also took her bloods, i donpt deserve this
the best rabbits ive had locksley and now mabel :cry:

mabel saw a new lady vet, who is very interested in rabbit medicine, her guts sound fine, her teeth alittle tilted so will have them redone, but
the worrying bit is she heard a heart murmur :cry: she going to have a heart scan, and dental at same time, they also took her bloods, i donpt deserve this

Oh, poor Mabel :cry:

(((hugs))))

Hope she can get good treatment x

I am sorry.

I don't know about rabbits but my cat had a heart murmur for about 10 years. In the end it was her kidneys. Hopefully it is the same for Mabel and it won't affect her.

Oh I am sorry, not the best news for you :(

Were Locksley and Mabel related? If so, could it be genetic in anyway do you think?

Oh no poor Mabel :( I hope that it isn't serious and she is ok xxx

Oh I am sorry, not the best news for you :(

Were Locksley and Mabel related? If so, could it be genetic in anyway do you think?

I'm really sorry Lisa! :cry:

I agree with Lily, and would contact their breeder asap so she doesn't breed from the same buns, and can warn other owners.

ive just sent the lady an email and asked if she is aware of any problems in mabels siblings, locksley never had any heart problems ie mumur or
dental issues he was a healthy boy, but then had that fall, then 2 days later stopped eating :cry:

i don;t want my best buns dying young, locksley was taken away too soon i don;t want mabel being taken away too :cry:

*squishes*

I would say don't panic. Many buns apparently get a murmur when under stress (such as at the vets), and then when re listened to at a different time, it's not there. My vet thought she heard on in Badger, then listened to my Rosie's heart and hers sounded pretty similar. Hopefully this is just a stress reaction in a poorly bunny.

They sound very thorough, so hopefully they can work out what's going on, and how best to help. Wait and see if they uncover anything in all the tests.

If you can, it might be worth trying her with Protexin pro-fibre pellets to help her gut into the best condition possible, and so maximise her absorption of foods- depending on the problem, that may help.

ETA- meant to say that neither Badger nor Rosie had a heart murmur at any point after that, and also one of the Dopeys had one too, at one appointment, and never again.

Last edited:

Oh no :cry:

Was Locksley related to Mabel ? If so maybe he too had a heart defect that contributed to his far too early passing.

I hope that Mabel's heart murmur is a mild one and that the bloods and scan dont reveal anything too drastic.

*squishes*

I would say don't panic. Many buns apparently get a murmur when under stress (such as at the vets), and then when re listened to at a different time, it's not there. My vet thought she heard on in Badger, then listened to my Rosie's heart and hers sounded pretty similar. Hopefully this is just a stress reaction in a poorly bunny.

They sound very thorough, so hopefully they can work out what's going on, and how best to help. Wait and see if they uncover anything in all the tests.

If you can, it might be worth trying her with Protexin pro-fibre pellets to help her gut into the best condition possible, and so maximise her absorption of foods- depending on the problem, that may help.

ETA- meant to say that neither Badger nor Rosie had a heart murmur at any point after that, and also one of the Dopeys had one too, at one appointment, and never again.

thanks, she is bright as a button, nothing fazes her, and vet trip doesn;t stress her but she obviously isn;t well with big weight loss in week
where can i get those pro-fibre pellets from? should i feed alongside her SS? and how much to feed, ive given her the junior burgess but she won't touch
them and only eats as much as she thinks, she has a carrot and some greens. but not much hay today :( vet gave me recovery incase i needed it
as i havn;t had any in since having rosie

just told my dad and he said maybe that why she has never grown much and always had weight issues, i said i hope she just like
me and it won't effect her as i have a heart murmur but not sure the diff between humans and bunnies

he said we just will feed her up abit more and try and get her weight on, by feeding the food sky-o mentioned

Back