• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Woohoo im on Telly 9 oct/updated with details when

Status
Not open for further replies.
It upsets me so much - I think it is sick. I would live to put a breeder in a small cage, with a mesh floor, let them be picked up when they don't want to be - just to see if they like it!! :censored:

Mine have free range of the house, dig my garden to bits too and now sleep in our huge garage.....so not every breeder keeps them inside to keep them white....mine are dutches so have alot of white on too :)
Just thought id answer that one.
Also quite a few people I know let theres out in the garden the whole day to freerange.
Just thought I would answer the question of the person above that asked, now wait to being pelted again :lol:

The rabbit can't be groomed once it's in it's pen, so woodshavings stuck in the coat could get really tangled. Besides, I know most long haired breeds prefer metal/plastic mesh to bedding.

My Westie has a long coat, she goes swimming in ponds etc. If she gets anything tangled i her coat I trim it out. She does sometimes look odd, but I love her whatever she looks like and would never condition her to prefer pavements to mud undergrowth etc. Which is what has happened to the rabbits you speak of.
But then I would never show my dog or children! And they would never win because I don't preen at them but let them get messy.

Less space for each bun = more space to cram in more buns... if you catch my drift.

They just want as many hutches in a small space as poss

Oh and of course Nethies and the like HAVE to be kept in a microscopic hutch because if they have too much room they cant be handled :roll:

Must remember to tell my Chloe that !! :lol:

Can I just ask, do breeders let their bunnies out? Or would they be too worried about feet getting dirty ect..
Because those hutches really arent suitable for rabbits to live in.

Also, why do they have such small hutches? is it just so the breeders get more rabbits in or is there an actual purpose? :?

Yes, breeders do let their rabbits out, some more than others. Flash gets a little stained after being out, but with a bit of chalk he's white as snow.

Personally I cannot understand why people want to show their rabbits. I genuinely find it difficult to comprehend what enjoyment can be obtained from taking a bunny into an inevitably stressful environment to have someone judge their 'quality' against a breed standard.

I know there are people on here who show and apologies that I am about to offend you - but why on earth if you genuinely love your bunnies would you put them through the kind of ordeal shown on that programme or care at all whether or not they conform to a standard? Surely their health, happiness and wellbeing is more important, and you can do your best to make sure you fulfill those needs without reference to a judge brandishing a rosette.

I think both my bunnies are beautiful and no amount of awards would increase my love for them or make me value them anymore than I do now.

Couldn't have said it better GBM, my thoughts exactly.

It upsets me so much - I think it is sick. I would live to put a breeder in a small cage, with a mesh floor, let them be picked up when they don't want to be - just to see if they like it!! :censored:

Long haired buns are usually only kept on mesh at shows (In the UK anyway).

Yes, breeders do let their rabbits out, some more than others. Flash gets a little stained after being out, but with a bit of chalk he's white as snow.

A bunny is made to run around and have fun and get dirty - if you ever saw my buns playing in mud, you'd think I had two black buns! I don't see why all this needs to be done.
In my eyes - it's plain cruel!!

I was just thinking of my two :lol: and how dirty their feetsies get when they are out :lol: hence why I asked :lol:

So, take that girl bunnie for instance.. he will now just breed from her?
Because she cant be handled?

A bunny is made to run around and have fun and get dirty - if you ever saw my buns playing in mud, you'd think I had two black buns! I don't see why all this needs to be done.
In my eyes - it's plain cruel!!

Yes, and lots of breeders to let their rabbits run around and get dirty. In my opinion, after a run about it's easy to get them clean again anyway.

And I've seen much crueler. At least most breeders let their rabbits exercise, and feed them a good diet.

I was just thinking of my two :lol: and how dirty their feetsies get when they are out :lol: hence why I asked :lol:

Honey digs for england, she spends her whole days digging up my nans plants and at the momment weve had most of the top garden dug up so its all mud....shes straight out there and flops in it. Never know she was a yellow dutch :lol: its so easy to get off she washes herself clean most of the time too.

Honey digs for england, she spends her whole days digging up my nans plants and at the momment weve had most of the top garden dug up so its all mud....shes straight out there and flops in it. Never know she was a yellow dutch :lol: its so easy to get off she washes herself clean most of the time too.

I agree, if you have the right equipment it's really easy to clean up a rabbit.

the old breeder argument again..
sadly..with the exception of two breeders who also are members on here...I've nor found another to be completely honest about their care of their rabbits

Such as look at my five feet hutches..which were actually 3.5 feet and the person never explain why breeders tape measures are always incorrect:?

and I'll slap my own wrist for that one:roll:

Not because she can't be handled, because if he practises a bit more she should become more relaxed. If a judge notices a black spot on the ear, the rabbit will be disqualified. This dosen't mean every baby will have the same black spot though. The hotot is a rare breed, a lot of other people will probably have a lot of interest.

Oh and of course Nethies and the like HAVE to be kept in a microscopic hutch because if they have too much room they cant be handled :roll:

Must remember to tell my Chloe that !! :lol:

Ah, man, I have been doing it all wrong!! No wonder why Rimmi is so cheeky and lovely.... I let him have run of the house, I best make him to 2 x 2 x 2' enclosure so he doesnt move too much.....

:roll::roll::roll::roll:

Rimmi would become so destructive if I did that, poor love. Rimmi comes from a breeder so I dred what conditions he was kept in :(

so how often do you breed from them?

Im just so surprised that most of these rabbits are so good natured or too scared to kick or bite the judges! I know that Ogs would be too scared to do anything but just sit there and will be seriously hyperventilating and Delly would probably bite out of annoyance.. although she has never bitten me I wouldnt be too sure about a random stranger..

ETA - bite a random stranger that would be trying to pull it around :lol: not just randomly biting. :lol:

don't forget that BH have to be kept in small hutches otherwise they can run too fast and kill themsleves by bashing into a wall :roll::roll::roll:

have sent a complaint to the BBC!!
anyone else that wants to send a complaint to the BBC about this programme go here - click.
and heres the programme in question - click!

I really hope they do a follow on about this entitled 'the proper care of a rabbit', but who knows if they really care. I wouldn't mind starring in it myself!!!!! :lol:

the old breeder argument again..
sadly..with the exception of two breeders who also are members on here...I've nor found another to be completely honest about their care of their rabbits

Such as look at my five feet hutches..which were actually 3.5 feet and the person never explain why breeders tape measures are always incorrect:?

and I'll slap my own wrist for that one:roll:

I know PLENTY of breeders/exhibitors not on this forum that truely care for their rabbits.

And is that second part not attacking a certain member? Seen as she is probably reading this now?

so how often do you breed from them?

Im just so surprised that most of these rabbits are so good natured or too scared to kick or bite the judges! I know that Ogs would be too scared to do anything but just sit there and will be seriously hyperventilating and Delly would probably bite out of annoyance.. although she has never bitten me I wouldnt be too sure about a random stranger..

ETA - bite a random stranger that would be trying to pull it around :lol: not just randomly biting. :lol:

If you are refering to me, I don't breed rabbits. If you are refering to the owner on the video, I have no idea.

Most breeders rabbits are handled from birth. I know some people will even wear the coats, put on the radio and practise handling the rabbits to get them really used to showing.

The thing is though, plently of people care for their rabbits but they often dont accomodate the rabbits needs.

This is not a personally attack on either of you two breeders. But at the end of the day - there is probably alot more bad breeders than good. Again, not wanting to be cruel but because they dont know better.
If I were to ever get a rabbit from a breeder I ould much rather see happy rabbits in big cages that rabbits sitting in one place all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back