• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Widget has a strange illness. Help! .....UPDATE post 28

The hay is 2 years old, originally from Taggs. I haven't bought any this year yet. Widget is quite thin and boney but feeling better when I get to pick him up. I slept better last night, but was still up at 6 am.

The hay is 2 years old, originally from Taggs. I haven't bought any this year yet. Widget is quite thin and boney but feeling better when I get to pick him up. I slept better last night, but was still up at 6 am.

Hopefully he will start to regain condition once the awful infection has been fully eradicated xx

He's a bit of a mongrel. Chinchilla fur, one uppie and one downie ear, only weighs 2.3 kgs when he's well. He was seized by rspca inspector. We got him for our Ginny who had already lost two partners. Widget is so docile she couldn't leave him alone and chewed his eyebrows off. This week the vet said they were inseparable in the hospital.

He's a bit of a mongrel. Chinchilla fur, one uppie and one downie ear, only weighs 2.3 kgs when he's well. He was seized by rspca inspector. We got him for our Ginny who had already lost two partners. Widget is so docile she couldn't leave him alone and chewed his eyebrows off. This week the vet said they were inseparable in the hospital.

:love:

They do fare better when with their partner :D

Ginny's nearly 10 and when she's on her own she stops eating. They're a funny pair, she had a stroke 4 years ago and drags her legs a bit. Widget gave her a new lease of life 2 years ago. He's dopey. When he's well, he sleeps upside down. They very often look like a huge bundle of fluff, all squashed up together.

Widget is so much better today. He's drinking from his water bowl...nice long slurps. I'm hoping the pain has gone away now for him. He still has an injection tomorrow, but hopefully that will be his last.

DSC_0126.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Widget and Ginny are enjoying the sunshine. I'm having terrible trouble with the internet this morning. The only thing that seems to work is my mobile, when the 4G kicks in. There must be an easier way to put pics on here, other than Photobucket. I seem to have an intermittent service from Wightfibre this morning.

Last edited:
Widget and Ginny are enjoying the sunshine. I'm having terrible trouble with the internet this morning. The only thing that seems to work is my mobile, when the 4G kicks in. There must be an easier way to put pics on here, other than Photobucket. I seem to have an intermittent service from Wightfibre this morning.

Cant help with the techi issues, it's all a mystery to me. I dont even have a mobile phone !

Widget is looking good now, it seems as though the abx has worked well for him :D

You have to use something like Photobucket I'm afraid - I have never got the hang of it! It's now very hot in my garden!

Widget is so much better today. He's drinking from his water bowl...nice long slurps. I'm hoping the pain has gone away now for him. He still has an injection tomorrow, but hopefully that will be his last.

DSC_0126.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thank you for posting this beautiful piccie of the pair of them.

Sending loads of get better vibes xx

Thank you everyone for your continued good wishes. As you can see Widget is looking more 'rounded' although he's still quite boney. He's eating Harringtons pellets as well as his veg. He's drinking more and his droppings are getting a bit bigger. He's peeing properly too. When we went to vet on Monday he said Widge wasn't so sore around his neck.
So, here's lookin' at ya, kid! Rock on for tomorrow evening, Widge,!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for your continued good wishes. As you can see Widget is looking more 'rounded' although he's still quite boney. He's eating Harringtons pellets as well as his veg. He's drinking more and his droppings are getting a bit bigger. He's peeing properly too. When we went to vet on Monday he said Widge wasn't so sore around his neck.

I wonder how on earth he managed to contract such a nasty infection. Has your Vet made any suggestions ? Not that it's really relevant, all that matters is that Widget's getting better. It's just that I am always interested in unusual cases xx

It's all looking much more positive :D

Great news, and a lovely second photo Fluffybunny :D

Hello Jane,
Vet has no idea how he got so sick. He's never seen it in a bun before. None of my others are ill. If it was infectious, Ginny would have gone down with it, seeing as they're always grooming each other and joined at the hip. It was such a rapid decline. Good job my vet worked out what was wrong, none of the others at the practise had any idea. This has been the most frightening three weeks recently. I can only be eternally grateful to my vet, again. Also, thank the vet who admitted Widget and handed him over.

Widget certainly doesn't come over as bony on the photo, just shows you can't always tell from a picci.

It's his fur, tonibun, makes him look huge. Since he's been drinking, the fur has fluffed up lovely. You can still grab handfuls of loose skin, though. Across his hips it feels quite sharp.

Thanks for your comments MightyMax.

Latest update.

We're just back from vet. Widget is so much brighter. The vet was one who was in the hospital when Widget was admitted. Vet said he was pleased to see how good Widget is looking. It really was touch and go last week and that Widge had a huge lesion in his throat. Vet didn't want to upset Widge so just felt him all over today and didn't attempt to look down his throat. He gave him another injection and said they don't want to suddenly stop the antibiotics, risking a relapse. We go back next Tuesday. Widge is now lying on the cold concrete in the shade in the garden, with Ginny in attendance. Funny pair!

Back