• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Widget has a strange illness. Help! .....UPDATE post 28

Thank you so much Omi. I'm hoping his weight has gone up a bit. He feels so thin and boney. He looks very small when he sits in his litter tray.

Tonibun: I think Ian is empathetic with any animal. He has saved several bunnies of mine in the past. Particularly my late Snowy, who was a nethie dwarf, when he had a bladder stone jammed in his penis. Snowy was aged 4 at the time of the op and lived on until he was 10. The other vets tend to refer difficult cases to him, which is what has happened with Widget. I've been going there 16 years. He saved my African Grey parrot too. He is highly respected. The trouble is, everyone at the surgery wants to see him. He has always got a full list. Do you go there too?

I wonder if Rabbits can get something similar to a Quincy ? :?

I hope the Vet appointment goes as well as possible tomorrow ?

Yes Jane. I thought that too. Vet said it was swollen all around his larynx. Far too sore for him to do a biopsy. I had wondered if he'd got a furry grass seed stuck at some stage. He sneezes occasionally but it's a throaty sneeze. There was nothing stuck when they scoped him. Quincy is like having broken glass in your throat, it is so painful.

Yes Jane. I thought that too. Vet said it was swollen all around his larynx. Far too sore for him to do a biopsy. I had wondered if he'd got a furry grass seed stuck at some stage. He sneezes occasionally but it's a throaty sneeze. There was nothing stuck when they scoped him. Quincy is like having broken glass in your throat, it is so painful.

It sure is ! I could not even swallow my own saliva when I had one.

Jane, Thank you so much for taking the time to show an interest, as you are so poorly yourself. It is great to get a reply from you, you are always so knowledgeable.

Yes I've been going to G & F for about 18 years. I really liked Caroline Randolph but she's left :cry: She was very good with the bunnies. Fingers crossed for tomorrow xx

Thanks tonibun. I liked Caroline too. She dealt with me one night when Heather pulled a claw out and I was hysterical with all the blood. I thought Heather had opened her spay as she'd already pulled her stitches out. Caroline was very calm and, dare I say, slightly amused.

Widget's latest update.

Some hopeful news.
Widget had a check-up at vet tonight. We are hopefully optimistic. He was much improved and had even put on a little weight. The throat noises have quietened and he's eating quite well. Not as well as before he got ill but, getting there. The vet says Widget had the bacteria and symptoms of DIPHTHERIA. It was lucky that the bacteria responded to the penicillin, sometimes it won't work. He had another injection tonight and another one due Thursday. Fingers crossed for him.

Some hopeful news.
Widget had a check-up at vet tonight. We are hopefully optimistic. He was much improved and had even put on a little weight. The throat noises have quietened and he's eating quite well. Not as well as before he got ill but, getting there. The vet says Widget had the bacteria and symptoms of DIPHTHERIA. It was lucky that the bacteria responded to the penicillin, sometimes it won't work. He had another injection tonight and another one due Thursday. Fingers crossed for him.

:thumb:

Some hopeful news.

Blimey :shock:

I really hope he will now make a full recovery xx

Thankyou for the good wishes for my Widgie. He's been out in the sun and looks very relaxed. I gave him his Metacam earlier and a syringe of watery recovery. I haven't seen him drinking from his dish yet. He stopped eating and drinking when he was so poorly. I just watched him do a good clear yellow pee just now, so he must be drinking. He's very cheerful and avoiding being picked up. Hubby is on his way home with some dandelion leaves and blackberry leaves, so all buns will have a nice treat later.

Last edited:
Thankyou for the good wishes for my Widgie. He's been out in the sun and looks very relaxed. I gave him his Metacam earlier and a syringe of watery recovery. I haven't seen him drinking from his dish yet. He stopped eating and drinking when he was so poorly. I just watched him do a good clear yellow pee just now, so he must be drinking. He's very cheerful and avoiding being picked up. Hubby is on his way home with some dandelion leaves and blackberry leaves, so all buns will have a nice treat later.

I am glad to hear that he's bright within himself. I am sure you have already covered this, but I'd be wary of feeding fresh forage if taken from an area where Wildies may hang out. With the RHD2 problems at the moment I dont think it's a risk I'd take.

Thanks everyone and to Jane for your wise words. Dandelions coming from hubby's friends garden. He has no pets and no wild bunnies around, also not much pride in his garden!

Last edited:

More good wishes :wave:

Keep going!

cb737716106a80d74c4f312e56fa7b68.jpg
[/IMG]

Hope this comes out. Difficult to get my head round putting a pick on, from my tablet and photobucket. Here is Widget avoiding me and trying to hide in his haybox.

Back