• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's the line between being a bunny lover and a hoarder?

A horder has so many the level of care is being compromised. They think they are doing the right thing by the animal but can't cope with them all.

I agree with the person who said we all have off days. I have days where I think 'I can't do this' and get angry with litter trays (and break them :oops:) but the majority of the time I'm ok. I actually find I'm better when my parents don't help me. It's like the energy to explain it all is more draining than just doing it myself :oops:

I don't think you're a hoarder Nicola. I think you're just having an off day. *sending cuddles*

I love the image of you with a camping torch strapped to your head :lol: I guess the very fact you do that means you could never be classed as a hoarder!

Sometime i'm in my dressing gown and slippers as well :oops: My neighbours think i'm "special" :lol:

Sometime i'm in my dressing gown and slippers as well My neighbours think i'm "special"

Ditto this. Even my turby hair towel goes on display when I'm putting the buns to bed. :lol:

I couldn't cope with anymore than four buns if I am to give them the most love and attention I can from me. I can give more than four the space, the diet, the toys and a partner; but I can;t bond with anymore than four personally unless I had nothing else going on in my life; then I could because I'd just sit in with them all day. :lol:

I could be a hoarder; my heart strings are pulled a heck of a lot, but I do have a strong will power..most of the time.

I don't know how to answer your question but if it were me; I'd say I was a hoarder; because I know personally I can't make that bond and I wouldn't want my current buns to get any less love due to a newcomer iygwim.

ETA: I can cope, but I mean if I had anymore than I have now! :oops:

Last edited:
Hi Nicola :wave:
You are in no way a hoarder hun. Your buns are well cared for in every respect, loved and given vet treatment when needed.

To me hoarders are people who take on way too many animals to look after. They have neither the funds or the time/capability to meet their animals needs and as a result the animals suffer.

This is NOT you ;) You're obviously having a down day sweetie, but try to have faith in how you look after your animals. Youre a good caring bunny mum :wave:

I agree with most of what has already been said, but I also think there is an aspect of hoarding when the activity is detrimental to the person's health or aggrevates an existing condition but still they continue. I think this particularly applied to pet hoarding as apposed to nick-nacks or never throwing things out etc. There are many people with health problems where pet ownership is incredibly helpful and positive, but when their health suffers because of the quantity of animals or the effort or exertion it takes to care for them then I think thats probably hoarding, whether that means 5 rabbits instead of 2 or 40 rabbits instead of 10 - everyone has their own threshold so there is no line in terms of quantity. But insisting on obtaining yet more animals when this situation has already occured to me implies a lack of rationalism and some obsessive behaviours. Ultimately the animals will also suffer when the hoarder's health deteriorates such that they can no longer care for them adequately, or have to be hospitalised with no-one available to care for them, or ultimately dies.

I see a hoarder as somebody who treats an animal like an ornament, they may well be fond of animals but they fail to recognise the animals needs. I don't think they would admit to not providing the care.

You are always seeking to improve your animals lives and spend a lot of time with them.

I class a hoarder as someone that takes on far too many to cope with, i.e. everyone is living in their own filth, but as far as they are concerned the animals are better off with them than anywhere else.

I have 10 rabbits but I confess to being an hoarder of dental buns I have 8 at the moment, they have regular vet checks and treatment as required, I have 3 sheds which 7 rabbits share all with walk-in runs attached. Harry monopolises the living room with Gizmo and Dodger having the kitchen and hallway.

I would have 10 more but unfortunately I don't feel I could give them enough time (and my hubby would possibly object:oops:)

I think the following quote sums it up in a nutshell:

Gary Patronek defines hoarding as the "pathological human behavior that involves a compulsive need to obtain and control animals, coupled with a failure to recognize their suffering."

My friends at work often joke that I'm a pet hoarder, and recently it's been upsetting me because I really feel strongly that I'm not. I have 8 (5 bunnies, a guinea pig and 2 small dogs), the bunnies/piggy only take up the very end of my living room as the cages are stackable (they get free range time daily, too) and the dogs both weigh less than 12lbs. Most of the flat is still taken up with our computers, TV, sofa and other "normal" things you'd expect to find in an average dwelling so it's not as if you open the door and suddenly there's 300 bunnies or cages stacked to the ceiling.

Regardless, if you can provide all of them with the care that they need then I don't see it as hoarding. Hoarding is a problem that people need genuine help with and results in animal AND human suffering due to lack of attention, poor air quality etc. Our flat is clean (not always tidy but that's not because of the pets), the air quality is good, it smells fresh, and we have plenty of time in the day to care for all of the pets. I really don't see it as an issue and it annoys me greatly when my friends joke about it. :(

AMETHYST

My friends at work often joke that I'm a pet hoarder, and recently it's been upsetting me because I really feel strongly that I'm not.

Dont worry people say it without knowing what it really means. I get called an animal hoarder and the owner of a menagerie... I have 1 hamster, 1 rabbit and a small fishtank with various fish and a small frog in it :roll: I am blatently not a hoarder, and neither are you, its just peoples perceptions of it are weird.

thanks everyone, I went and shared an apple with the 5 (quintet?) and got used as a bunny climbing frame/snuggler/chew toy, so I feel a bit better now :) I guess I'll never think my best is good enough :oops:

Dont worry people say it without knowing what it really means. I get called an animal hoarder and the owner of a menagerie... I have 1 hamster, 1 rabbit and a small fishtank with various fish and a small frog in it :roll: I am blatently not a hoarder, and neither are you, its just peoples perceptions of it are weird.

Thanks! :) It's just the emphasis they put on it, and they say things like "that's ALL you see when you go in! Bunnies everywhere!" I'm like, um, no, the first thing you see as you go through the front door is the sofa! :lol: You don't see bunnies until you reach the opposite end of that room! It didn't help that yesterday someone from our Madrid office visited and when we used to live there the woman opposite complained about the bunnies because she would see us taking a lot of rubbish out (because we were doing what we *should* be doing and keeping them clean! :roll:) and assume that because we were taking out a lot of rubbish that we were messy. :? Anyway the person who visited from Madrid was all "Still got the pets? Oh yeah I remember that woman complaining about them." :roll: It's like, yeah, thanks for the reminder about that stupid :censored: who made us look bad.

People totally get the wrong idea about me and it's so annoying. :evil:

AMETHYST

Thanks! :) It's just the emphasis they put on it, and they say things like "that's ALL you see when you go in! Bunnies everywhere!" I'm like, um, no, the first thing you see as you go through the front door is the sofa! :lol: You don't see bunnies until you reach the opposite end of that room! It didn't help that yesterday someone from our Madrid office visited and when we used to live there the woman opposite complained about the bunnies because she would see us taking a lot of rubbish out (because we were doing what we *should* be doing and keeping them clean! :roll:) and assume that because we were taking out a lot of rubbish that we were messy. :? Anyway the person who visited from Madrid was all "Still got the pets? Oh yeah I remember that woman complaining about them." :roll: It's like, yeah, thanks for the reminder about that stupid :censored: who made us look bad.

People totally get the wrong idea about me and it's so annoying. :evil:

AMETHYST

I love how you are obviously dirty and messy because you put your rubbish in the bins outside :lol::lol: How does that make any kind of sense?

Back