• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's everyone doing to keep their rabbits cool?

I use some of those frozen Ice Pod things (look like snuggle safes, but for freezing :D)

I also use a fan and make sure there's a through flow of air, wherever they are.

I'm assuming the lounge temperature is acceptable to them since they are all currently lying on top of each other :)

I'm just relieved we have only got a few days of it and not weeks/months. I can't stand it - heaven knows what it must feel like with a big fur coat on, our poor darlings. Well, I always make sure their water bowls are changed regularly and topped up - it's handy working from home at least I can keep an eye on things. They have a large fenced in area just for them and they have their bunny house and Kirk's house opposite is left open (he sadly died a few months back) so they go in their too - very shaded. Lots of shade. Their houses even have electricity. Might even get the fan up on the top later if it gets really bad - they won't be able to get to the wire. I really must put some pictures on of their new place.. it's very smart. Going to check on them now actually :D

Your set up sounds great. Would love to see the pictures. Sorry you lost Kirk x

Glad your doing ok MrsC xx

Yeah, we have one of those pods MM, but they just seem to ignore it.

Thanks for all the replies x

The runs are on grass and have partial shade from the trees. I have just been out and pulled the corrugated roofing over to give more shade, and then used the hose to wet it all down to keep it cooler underneath. Normally I go out to pour the rain off it!

Indoors - we have the windows open slightly (so the cats can't get out) and the blinds practically closed to keep the sun out. It makes a big difference.

Sounds stupid, but I'm doing all I can to keep both cat & bunny cool. I took today off to keep an eye on them, cycling water every hour, ice pods, wet towels, cool pads, parasols etc.

Should I continue to stay home to keep an eye? Bunny is so hot despite all efforts! Hutch us reading 33, and she is in her well shaded run until she decides to go back in via the tunnel!

Sar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very little, I think ill wet a towel and make damp caves for them, they kinda like that. But they are inside, not in direct sunlight and don't like cold things. In previous years I've tried pretty much everything on this thread, they have always ignored me and just looked annoyed at being bugged :roll: so now I just leave them be! They seem happier for it.

My dog is miserable, she adores sunbathing but it is just too hot to let her today :( she keeps trying to go out when one of us goes out to the washing or something but she just looks uncomfortable and we send her back in. I was hopping about like crazy earlier as I tried to hang washing out without shoes... The floor was hot! Another reason to keep doglet in!

Sounds stupid, but I'm doing all I can to keep both cat & bunny cool. I took today off to keep an eye on them, cycling water every hour, ice pods, wet towels, cool pads, parasols etc.

Should I continue to stay home to keep an eye? Bunny is so hot despite all efforts! Hutch us reading 33, and she is in her well shaded run until she decides to go back in via the tunnel!

Sar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would recommend using a fan as it makes a huggeee difference. Just make sure they can get away from it if they need to and that they can't get to the wires if the fan is not battery operated :)

Should I continue to stay home to keep an eye? Bunny is so hot despite all efforts! Hutch us reading 33, and she is in her well shaded run until she decides to go back in

I know I've been glad that I'm at home and able to keep an eye on the pets in this heat, but it's obviously not possible for everyone x

kept her indoors windows open, ice pod, and cooling mat and at times put some cool water on ears, keep changing water so its nice and fresh to

is there such thing as them being too cool? i am also concerned with flystrike as i have a damo towel onto of her cage but don't want that to attract flies. she is in her cage because she was spayed last week so is resting up and is cold as it is without moving much, worried that i'll make her too cold? i have the towel on, water bottle and fan circulating air in the room xx

Mine and boarders have:

Wet towels draped over accommodation
Insulated roof and walls
Ice pods/frozen tiles
Fresh water 3x a day

My 3 do have a fan but it broke :( so will have to get a new one

On a side note, my cat has been lying under the patio door curtains, which are closed to keep the piggies cool, in direct sunlight!

is there such thing as them being too cool? i am also concerned with flystrike as i have a damo towel onto of her cage but don't want that to attract flies. she is in her cage because she was spayed last week so is resting up and is cold as it is without moving much, worried that i'll make her too cold? i have the towel on, water bottle and fan circulating air in the room xx

I think what you have done sounds good. I guess if she seems relaxed then she's probably ok. I've got some wet towels draped over my outside runs and haven't noticed them attracting flies x

I have damp towels outside laying over the hutch and even though flies can get in the run (which the hutch is inside of) the towel itself hasn't attracted any. I wonder if it would be worth getting non-chemical fly traps so that whatever flies to go near it will just be trapped? Obviously this would only be possible if there is somewhere high up you can hang it so she can't get to it, but if possible it would probably help to put your mind at ease :)

Back