• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What to do to help with gas problem?

KCG

Warren Veteran
Cookie has been on treatment for a lung infection for a week, also on gas treatment. He has gas for a week, I see him sitting in a hunched position during the day. He has syrup for gas in the morning and evening, I give him. Cookie eats and poops normally, but sometimes sits in a hunched position during the day. I also do gas massage on his belly. What more can I do in this situation? I will talk to the vet about gas again tomorrow and Friday. But what else can I do at home or what more can the vet do?

Did vet prescribe or recommend gas treatment? Did his x-ray show gas?
Sometimes Gas forms when gut slows and/or when gut bacteria gets out of balance.

Last edited:
While diagnosed with lung infection 1 week ago, gas was also diagnosed at the same time. We have been using syrup for gas with antibiotics for 1 week. Cookie doesn't have intestinal stagnation but I'm worried it does because he really does have gas. Gas seems up on x-ray.
The gas problem was either due to the stress associated with his illness or I think it was because we overdosed on the fruit a bit last week. Frankly, I think it's a combination of both, the fruit has a big share too. I couldn't stand it when he looked at me while I was eating fruit and I made him eat more fruit than normal, I think that's why he got gas. :|

The name of the medicine given by the veterinarian is Metsil, I am sharing your picture:

https://images.app.goo.gl/CEJsqYzUNbdPsmxa7

Prospectus: https://prospektus.co/ilac/metsil-40-mg-5-ml-150-ml-suspansiyon/

I will also start Cookie with probiotics after the antibiotic treatment is over. Waiting for the treatment to finish.

While diagnosed with lung infection 1 week ago, gas was also diagnosed at the same time. We have been using syrup for gas with antibiotics for 1 week. Cookie doesn't have intestinal stagnation but I'm worried it does because he really does have gas. Gas seems up on x-ray.
The gas problem was either due to the stress associated with his illness or I think it was because we overdosed on the fruit a bit last week. Frankly, I think it's a combination of both, the fruit has a big share too. I couldn't stand it when he looked at me while I was eating fruit and I made him eat more fruit than normal, I think that's why he got gas. :|

The name of the medicine given by the veterinarian is Metsil, I am sharing your picture:

https://images.app.goo.gl/CEJsqYzUNbdPsmxa7

Prospectus: https://prospektus.co/ilac/metsil-40-mg-5-ml-150-ml-suspansiyon/

I will also start Cookie with probiotics after the antibiotic treatment is over. Waiting for the treatment to finish.

Metsil is Metoclopramide which is a prokinetic not an 'anti gas' med. It should increase gut motility which in turn should lessen the build up of gas. I would not feed him any fruit at all and keep his diet as simple as possible.

Metsil is Metoclopramide which is a prokinetic not an 'anti gas' med. It should increase gut motility which in turn should lessen the build up of gas. I would not feed him any fruit at all and keep his diet as simple as possible.

Oh Jane, I'm sure the vet here doesn't know as much as you. I worry 2-3 times more because I know this. I'll keep the cookie's diet simple from now on, thank you so much. I'm going to talk to the vet again about medication today.

But Metsil writes a carminative medicine, it is used in gas treatment in Turkey, it says so on the prospectus. Its active ingredient is simethicone.

Last edited:
On the box in the picture KCG shared it says Metsil is simethicone. It's a bit blurry, so easy to miss, and apparently in other countries Metsil is Metoclopramide like you said, so it's a bit confusing.

On the box in the picture KCG shared it says Metsil is simethicone. It's a bit blurry, so easy to miss, and apparently in other countries Metsil is Metoclopramide like you said, so it's a bit confusing.

Yes, I just told. It contains simethicone active ingredient and is used in gas treatment in Turkey. That's why I added a prospectus, you can also look at it by translating. The names of drugs vary according to the countries, this is the name of the drug in our country, but the active ingredient is simethicone. Metoclopramide is used for nausea in us and that drug is called metpamide. International turmoil :D

Urgh that's annoying if it's just that, it's basically infacol which most vets over here suggest is useless :/

I'd definitely stop the fruit! That seems like a really bad idea if he has gas. If he's eating the best thing is loads of hay, as it's fibre. Fruit would cause more gas I'd think and isn't natural for his digestive system.

Looks like it's simethicone.. Other ingredients, top one is an antifungal...? So I'm not sure it is emeprid! Not sure how useful it'll actually be
5caa77cc7569938ca670c1e727e78ef5.jpg

Urgh that's annoying if it's just that, it's basically infacol which most vets over here suggest is useless :/

I'd definitely stop the fruit! That seems like a really bad idea if he has gas. If he's eating the best thing is loads of hay, as it's fibre. Fruit would cause more gas I'd think and isn't natural for his digestive system.

Yes, ıt's my fault. He begs me while I'm eating watermelon, I couldn't stand it and gave him a watermelon for a few days. (I eat watermelon every day). :| I haven't given him any fruit in a week now, and I don't plan to. I also stopped giving daily pellets since yesterday as it could gas him. From now on I'll keep Cookie's diet simpler, I feed him too much. :| Is there anything more I can do about the medicine? :|

Yes, ıt's my fault. He begs me while I'm eating watermelon, I couldn't stand it and gave him a watermelon for a few days. (I eat watermelon every day). :| I haven't given him any fruit in a week now, and I don't plan to. I also stopped giving daily pellets since yesterday as it could gas him. From now on I'll keep Cookie's diet simpler, I feed him too much. :| Is there anything more I can do about the medicine? :|

Yea I just posted above, I had a look it doesn't appear to be a gut motility drug? I don't think?

If he has gas I'd ask for a prokonetic drug, as that will actually help and a painkiller as it can be painful... However if he's eating, eating loads of hay should sort the issue out.. With no meds needed, normally you'd get the meds because the animal stops eating, but once you get them eating again, that's basically most of the battle.. So him still eating is great news! I wouldn't remove the pellets, I'd keep his diet plain and normal, changes to his diet could upset his system.

Yea I just posted above, I had a look it doesn't appear to be a gut motility drug? I don't think?

If he has gas I'd ask for a prokonetic drug, as that will actually help and a painkiller as it can be painful... However if he's eating, eating loads of hay should sort the issue out.. With no meds needed, normally you'd get the meds because the animal stops eating, but once you get them eating again, that's basically most of the battle.. So him still eating is great news! I wouldn't remove the pellets, I'd keep his diet plain and normal, changes to his diet could upset his system.

These tips are very valuable to me, thank you very much. :) I will consider your advice. I will talk to the vet again today.

https://www.drugs.com/international/metsil.html

So Metsil is Metoclopramide in some Countries and not in others.

It is confusing enough when brands and generics differ from country to country, yet this is first time I saw same name with totally different ingredients.
I use metoclopramide, I never use simethicone.
I agree pain meds may be helpful, especially if he moves around more which can help him pass the gas.
Too much sugar/carbs can mess up bacterial balance in the guts.

Last edited:
The vet said Cookie didn't have much gas. We're going to check again on Friday. Also now that Cookie is on antibiotics, I don't really like the shape and color of his poop. Possibly the antibiotic affects the intestinal flora. I expect to start probiotics when antibiotic treatment is finished :|

It is confusing enough when brands and generics differ from country to country, yet this is first time I saw same name with totally different ingredients.
I use metoclopramide, I never use simethicone.
I agree pain meds may be helpful, especially if he moves around more which can help him pass the gas.
Too much sugar/carbs can mess up bacterial balance in the guts.

I really find it meaningless for them to produce different compounds with the same name. I think all drugs in the world should be one hundred percent the same, it's really confusing. If I have to buy medicine abroad, if I go to the pharmacy, the name is the same, but the content is different and if I look at the name of the drug and think it is the same, it would be very dangerous.

The vet said Cookie didn't have much gas. We're going to check again on Friday. Also now that Cookie is on antibiotics, I don't really like the shape and color of his poop. Possibly the antibiotic affects the intestinal flora. I expect to start probiotics when antibiotic treatment is finished :|

You can ask your vet, but from what I've read some experts don't think probiotics work for buns. It's common for that to happen to the poop whilst they're on antibiotics tho, after they've finished the course I've found things normally go back to normal in a few days naturally, so you may not need anything anyway :)

Back