• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Rodney

Rodney has been doing OK on his meds over the weekend.

Is his usual cheeky self and his appetite is much better and output too.

But I've noticed he's letting one of his ears droop into helicopter mode when he's relaxing. It's the one that drooped badly last time he had an iv but that was in Jan.

I've not dealt with ear issues before, could this be an infection or EC?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I'm glad Rodney is doing better now.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of an ear infection. It might explain his recent episode. Is he scratching his ear and shaking his head a lot? Is he tilting his head or leaning more to one side?

The only reason I ask is that one of my buns does have an ear infection and is doing all of the above. Plus the affected ear does droop a fair bit.

Might be worth getting it checked out by the vet if he continues doing it. If there is an infection they'll be able to see the discharge when they look into his ear.

I really hope Rodney doesn't have an ear infection or EC.

If he is only drooping his ear when sleeping and he is not scratching it or shaking his head a lot it is less likely to be an ear infection. That said it would be worth getting his ears checked out by your Vet to err on the side of caution.

Rodders says, ‘ Nope, I am not about to nibble the cushion. Just licking it, honest !! ‘ :lol:

The Vet probably did use an ear vein to obtain some blood for a blood glucose

That makes sense. He has a note on his file asking them to not use his ear veins because he took so long to recover from it last time.

I will remind them next time (although fingers crossed there won't be one)

He loves these cushions and will spend forever grooming/nibbling them if I let him [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Back