• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Odin

Well I'm a bit happier now because he's eaten some more herbs, lots of fresh cow parsley, a bit of dried plantain, and a bit of carrot and apple that he sought out himself - everything else he ate when I presented it to him on a silver platter but he wouldn't look for it himself :lol:
And we had poo!! Not much, and not good (lots of very tiny ones stuck together, more like caecatrophs but not quite) but it's movement!!
He's got a bucket of fresh grass and cow parsley to munch on now, hoping he will eat the grass. I got the ranitidine into him in a raisin too so hopefully that will help.

You are doing an awsome job. Glad you located his jewels and had everything addressed. He is on track for full recovery. Sending lots of vibes.

Lots of poo this morning - some of it still obviously his, a bit small, but some of it not too easy to distinguish from Freja's which is awesome. Both on top form, had to let Freja out to let off steam so she's having a run and can get back in when she wants but he can't get out. His eyes look lovely and bright and clear and WIDE!! Not been like that since we first got him I don't think. Eating like the clappers!!!
How long should he stay indoors? Their run is half covered but the grass is mud, I don't want him to get infected or catch on a twig or branch.

Pleased to hear Odin is doing well after his castration and tear duct flush. I would keep him quiet for a couple more days, if you can!

I’m glad he is doing well :love: will he be having a post op check in a few days? You could ask the vet about when he would be healed enough to go out, then.

Aww sounds like he's doing really well.

More healing vibes for him so he can get back to outdoor mischief.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I’m glad he is doing well :love: will he be having a post op check in a few days? You could ask the vet about when he would be healed enough to go out, then.

I've emailed her to ask just now - my vets know me well enough that they don't ask for them to come back in unless there is a problem, and I can send photos before we need a visit too. Minimises stress on them. I just wondered if there was a standard timeframe?

He's being a pain in the backside, throwing his food cage all over the place, running riot :lol::love: I've filled every enrichment toy we've got for him to try and let him work off some energy!!

Hehe, poor boy, he is so unimpressed with it all already, I just caught him trying to break into the food bin - it's going to be a fun few days if he can't get out!!

Brilliant news from the specilists though - they agree that his femur looks like a healed fracture so no nasties lurking, and we can relax about it now :D:D:D

Hehe, poor boy, he is so unimpressed with it all already, I just caught him trying to break into the food bin - it's going to be a fun few days if he can't get out!!

Brilliant news from the specilists though - they agree that his femur looks like a healed fracture so no nasties lurking, and we can relax about it now :D:D:D

Great news re his femur. Good luck with keeping your boy entertained til he can get out and about again !

So, I'm at a bit of a loss. Obviously I will talk to my vet again tomorrow, but seeking any other ideas from the wealth of knowledge here to discuss with her.

Odin is eating better, and poos have been better but now, whilst volume is good, size is reducing again :( I'm not sure if it is pain related (possibly he will have some chronic pain as a result of his leg?) but it does seem better when he is on metacam. I wanted to gather info before going back to the vet, so as he deteriorated when he came off metacam (after 5 days or so from neutering) I put him back on, and have been trying to reduce it. It seems that dosing for a 15kg dog is ok, but a 10kg dog is not, though they are both so variable it is not easy to tell - some days there's not a lot of output in the house from either of them so I assume they do it outside, then other days there is masses. Given that I have no concerns at all about Freja, I presume something affects both of them and that's just the way they are, but this inconsistency is consistent.

BUT his breathing is also not a lot better - initially his eyes were lovely and clear, but within days they started being a little weepy again, and this is certainly not improving. Today he had white discharge again, one more than the other. He is very happy in himself, he sleeps all day but he always has, but he comes out in the morning for a play and graze, and he comes out in the evening to graze before heading indoors. I have antihistamines, but I'm not convinced they made any difference so I'm not keen giving them without an obvious benefit.

What else can cause this chronic mild and intermittent discharge? Could he just be very sensitive to his environment? He just seems to get stuff up his nose very easily, but he does sniff a LOT.
He had his head x-rayed to check roots as far as I am aware - the x-ray I saw was oblique, but they did say his roots were fine and he only had very tiny spurs which were burred down.
He is putting on weight too, so I don't think eating is an issue at the moment. It's just this eye discharge that bugs me, and his breathing always sounding like he's a little restricted in his airways. Maybe he just has narrow airways?

Not sure what other Diagnostics he had apart from the skull radiographs ?

Did the Vet flush the nasolacrimal ducts ? Not sure what topical eye treatment has been given and for how long ?

Did the Vet take deep nasal swabs if the respiratory problems were apparent then ?

Other possibilities for chronic nasal congestion , apart from infection or allergies is nasal polyps. Endoscopic examination of the nasal passages needed to check for this.

Re his pain management, maybe he will need to remain on longterm Metacam if the healed fracture is giving chronic pain. If this is the case the Vet will need to run a blood profile every few months to keep a check on his renal function.

The fact that he has gained weight is a positive :)

They did flush his lacrimal ducts, she said it took some doing before they got them running clear but there wasn't one object blocking them, they were just blocked with "stuff" if you see what I mean. We didn't have any eye treatments to give, and we didn't do any swabs - I will ask about these. But if there was an infection would it show so sporadically? He can be fine for days, then you just get an hour or so of slightly mucky eyes, then it's clear again. Likewise with his breathing, it is so inconsistent and sporadic, and it is not so much a breathing problem as you can just hear him when he breathes more than you can Freja.
I'll ask about nasal polyps.

They did flush his lacrimal ducts, she said it took some doing before they got them running clear but there wasn't one object blocking them, they were just blocked with "stuff" if you see what I mean. We didn't have any eye treatments to give, and we didn't do any swabs - I will ask about these. But if there was an infection would it show so sporadically? He can be fine for days, then you just get an hour or so of slightly mucky eyes, then it's clear again. Likewise with his breathing, it is so inconsistent and sporadic, and it is not so much a breathing problem as you can just hear him when he breathes more than you can Freja.
I'll ask about nasal polyps.

A 10 day course of Isathal eye ointment may settle any inflammation and bacterial infection. Noisy breathing, the noise coming from the nostrils, can occur when the eyes are runny

Back