• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Odin

Well Odin, you have been well and truly duped. You are going to the Dentist, they said. It’ll be fine they said. Then before you can say Humpty Hump your plums are whipped away :roll:

I think extra treats are the very least you should demand when you get home !!

:lol::lol::lol:I know, poor soul!! And to add insult to injury, Freja ate his yummy fresh herb packed lunch all by herself while he was knocked out - apparently she wouldn't stop pestering until they gave her it all!!!! Luckily I have some more at home, and I will go out again if I need to later :lol:

So, we're home, he's still very sleepy and not seen him eat yet, but he's in the crate in their house with a pile of fresh herbs so I will pop back when I've written this and see if I can persuade him to have a nibble. He did come home literally as soon as he had come round though, he was only just standing up.

He's had the works - knackers off, lacrimal flush (took quite a bit of doing apparently but they got there in the end, nothing big but just lots of stuff built up presumably), and his uppers molars burred slightly as there were some minor sores. She said his teeth weren't a huge issue, but enough to be worth doing rather than waiting. Skull x-rays were clear which is a relief.

His spine is fine. His hips are fine. But his left femur is not good - there are 3 options, tumour, secondary tumours or badly healed fracture. I have seen the x-rays and it does look very like a healed fracture, there is a diagonal slant through the bone that looks like it has shifted and then had a mass of bone grown around it, but the x-rays are being sent off for second opinion just in case. We might re-xray to compare in the future if needs be, but I am pretty sure it's a healed fracture - at risk of sounding like a terrible owner, he was a bit off on it for a few days several weeks ago but gradually and constantly improved, he never stopped using it and it never stopped him doing anything, so it honestly looked more like a soft tissue strain. So who knows how he did it, but I suspect that we missed it :cry::cry::oops: Given that he is sound and equally weightbearing now, standing right up on his back legs of his own accord and everything, it doesn't look like it bothers him. I'm hoping that that's all it is, because I'd have thought that a tumour of any kind would be painful and wouldn't have improved, so fingers crossed. It hasn't shortened it more than a few mm, so it doesn't affect his movement tremendously, and we've got him on joint support now for life so hopefully it will never really bother him. Lesson learned though if that's what happened, they really do hide pain - I would never in a million years have thought he could have a broken femur yet still be eating, pooing, bouncing around, running like he was. Please don't think too badly of me :cry: There is also the chance it was done before we got him as obviously we have no real history on him and the staff at PAH had questioned his movement a while after we brought him home becase they'd thought it looked a bit odd.

Hey ho, his eyes look better already, just need to get him eating again now. We've got ranitidine for a few days to try and help his gut get back to normal, and metacam obviously - once his wounds heal we'll reduce the metacam and see what happens with his gut, if it was just the teeth causing the issue then that should go back to normal, but he can stay on ranitidine if it helps, or stay on metacam if he needs to. Fingers crossed he won't!

Last edited:
Gosh what a day! all in all it sounds pretty positive & I expect Freja concurs even if Odin isn't too convinced.

Hope he makes a speedy recovery. If it is a healed fracture of his femur it sounds like it has been healed for more than a few weeks . He may have fractured it as a baby. Not uncommon in Giant Rabbits, especially if not housed appropriately.I doubt PAH would have much reliable history x

Hope he makes a speedy recovery. If it is a healed fracture of his femur it sounds like it has been healed for more than a few weeks . He may have fractured it as a baby. Not uncommon in Giant Rabbits, especially if not housed appropriately.I doubt PAH would have much reliable history x

Thank you. I feel really awful, but I honestly would not have thought it could be something as serious as that with what we had. I don't know anything about his housing, but he was kept with a guinea pig, so they clearly weren't the most clued up owners - and there were a lot of things we didn't know, they couldn't even tell us if he had been vaccinated. No use crying over spilt milk though, it is what it is and it doesn't affect him now so I just need to find peace in my own mind and move on - and be (somehow) even more vigilant for the future. I do know that I have been trying to stay away from the vets in general because I can't go in, and I am sure that's why Odin's balls got missed, because I couldn't be sure my usual vet (who I do trust tremendously) had actually seen what we were seeing, I suspect Odin was "hiding" them when he went in. So it is hard, we took Freja when she was lame but I wasn't sure they were able to really examine her and see the problem, whereas if I could go in I could demonstrate the problems in seconds.

I love having animals who are trained in cooperative care, but it makes it immensely difficult when you can't be there to handle them and demonstrate.

He's just asked to come out the crate, and gone up into the back corner on a soft bed so I've left him there. He has eaten some banana- not ideal I know, but it's something at least. I'm going to go and find some fresh cow parsley for him and try him again in half an hour.

Thank you. I feel really awful, but I honestly would not have thought it could be something as serious as that with what we had. I don't know anything about his housing, but he was kept with a guinea pig, so they clearly weren't the most clued up owners - and there were a lot of things we didn't know, they couldn't even tell us if he had been vaccinated. No use crying over spilt milk though, it is what it is and it doesn't affect him now so I just need to find peace in my own mind and move on - and be (somehow) even more vigilant for the future. I do know that I have been trying to stay away from the vets in general because I can't go in, and I am sure that's why Odin's balls got missed, because I couldn't be sure my usual vet (who I do trust tremendously) had actually seen what we were seeing, I suspect Odin was "hiding" them when he went in. So it is hard, we took Freja when she was lame but I wasn't sure they were able to really examine her and see the problem, whereas if I could go in I could demonstrate the problems in seconds.

I love having animals who are trained in cooperative care, but it makes it immensely difficult when you can't be there to handle them and demonstrate.

Both Bunnies could not have a better home than the one you are giving them :love:

They are very lucky Bunnies, even though Odin may be submitting a written complaint to management regarding the theft of his jewels :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Well he's made good use of them for long enough!!

My clever boy is up and about, has eaten a handful of mixed fresh herbs, a chunk of banana and a cavallo nero leaf, and has nibbled at hay though not really eaten it (kind of normal for him). He's had a thorough wash too - he clearly doesn't think much of the vets cleaning capabilities! :lol: Am keeping an eye out in case he gets rough with his stitches but i think it's just his back legs really, where they would have washed him off and sterilised.
No poo yet but he might have had a little pee :D
Freja has been relegated to the outside (with the garden for compensation!) as she keeps stealing his herbs and I really think she's had enough for one day!!

Given that they've clearly bonded despite his balls, can I assume they will only improve from now on and I don't need to separate? I'm aware he might have a surge but I doubt it'll be anything we haven't dealt with before, and at least this time I know it will settle soon enough.

I would certainly leave them together. I very much doubt there will be any real issues even if he does have one last hormone surge. Hopefully he won’t start humping for a few days to give the surgical wound time to heal.

Adding my post op vibes for an exhausetd Odin. The fact he can relax and feel safe with you is testamount to the love and depth of feeling you show towards him. He has the home he deserves and I hope he has a restful night, some poops and some noms. xx

Back