• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Emmy :( U/D 24/7 Feeling better

Sending tons of vibes for Emmy :( when Daisy is like that it seems to really help her if I just sit with her stroking her head. If she lays down I stroke her tummy which also seems to help. Sometimes she will take bits of hay from my hand but not from the floor, try hand feeding her hay. Or bramble leaves if there's any nearby! I hope she picks up very soon x

She hasn't really improved at all. Has only eaten a strand or 2 of hay and hasn't had any water as far as I can tell. Tiny tiny poops so back to the vets this morning I think.

I'm so worried about her :cry:

She hasn't really improved at all. Has only eaten a strand or 2 of hay and hasn't had any water as far as I can tell. Tiny tiny poops so back to the vets this morning I think.

I'm so worried about her :cry:

Did she only have the meds the Vet administered yesterday- ie you were given nothing to continue her treatment at home ?

With gut stasis treatment needs to be ongoing, so Metoclopromide is usually given every 6-12 hours, Ranitidine (Zantac) every 12 hours. Analgesia also needs to be maintained, frequency of dose and type of drug will vary. Ongoing SQ fluids are very helpful, dehydration of ingesta occurs rapidly when gut motility is reduced. This just exacerbates problems. Oral fluids remain important too.

In some cases Lactulose, an osmotic Laxative can be useful

Exercise and abdominal massage is often helpful, but abdominal massage should not be attempted without specific Veterinary advice/guidance

Maybe the Vet could admit Emmy for ongoing intensive care ?

Last edited:
Did she only have the meds the Vet administered yesterday- ie you were given nothing to continue her treatment at home ?

With gut stasis treatment needs to be ongoing, so Metoclopromide is usually given every 6-12 hours, Ranitidine (Zantac) every 12 hours. Analgesia also needs to be maintained, frequency of dose and type of drug will vary. Ongoing SQ fluids are very helpful, dehydration of ingesta occurs rapidly when gut motility is reduced. This just exacerbates problems. Oral fluids remain important too.

In some cases Lactulose, an osmotic Laxative can be useful

Exercise and abdominal massage is often helpful, but abdominal massage should not be attempted without specific Veterinary advice/guidance

Maybe the Vet could admit Emmy for ongoing intensive care ?

We got sent home with metacam, zantac and luctulose. He gave her an injection of metacam yesterday and said it would last for 24 hours so she hasn't had anymore of that yet. She has the other 2 twice yesterday. I have been trying to give her water but I don't know how much she is actually swallowing. I feel like most of it is ending up on me.

I have been trying to get her to move around a little.

Will be giving them a call at 830am when they open. Do you think I should give her a dose of all 3 drugs before I call or will they give it to her at the vets?

I just gave her all 3 medicines and will just tell the vets when I call them what I have done. How long does oral metacam take the kick in?

She is getting really annoyed at all the picking up and the scratches on my chest prove that!

Last edited:
I just gave her all 3 medicines and will just tell the vets when I call them what I have done. How long does oral metacam take the kick in?

She is getting really annoyed at all the picking up and the scratches on my chest prove that!

I think fluids may be the key here

Lactulose needs to be given after and during aggressive fluid therapy to obtain optimum effect.

So personally I would discuss this with the Vet, they could maybe admit her for the day to get some fluid therapy going and continue the meds. It would also give you a break as I know how stressful it is caring for an anorexic Rabbit.

In my experience oral Metacam appears to 'kick in' after about 30-45 minutes. But if it is either the wrong (too low) dose or the wrong type of analgesia (sometimes a more powerful type is needed) there may be no apparent effect at all.

If it is her cecum that is the root of the problem it can take several days of ongoing intensive treatment before a significant improvement occurs.

I think fluids may be the key here

Lactulose needs to be given after and during aggressive fluid therapy to obtain optimum effect.

So personally I would discuss this with the Vet, they could maybe admit her for the day to get some fluid therapy going and continue the meds. It would also give you a break as I know how stressful it is caring for an anorexic Rabbit.

In my experience oral Metacam appears to 'kick in' after about 30-45 minutes. But if it is either the wrong (too low) dose or the wrong type of analgesia (sometimes a more powerful type is needed) there may be no apparent effect at all.

If it is her cecum that is the root of the problem it can take several days of ongoing intensive treatment before a significant improvement occurs.

Thanks Jane. The vets close at 11 or 12 I think so don't know if they will admit her :( Hopefully the vets can give her some more fluids.

Can you ask the Vet to show you how to give subcutaneous fluids ?

I'm really not confident with giving needles like that. He has given her another load today. Had a feel of her tummy and said that she has eaten something (when I wasn't watching obviously). She has also had metaclopramide (sorry about the spelling) and baytril. I've got to keep going with all the things that he has given me and see how she gets on.

I have also just seen her eat another piece of hay.

He examined her again. Gave her metaclopramide and more sub cut fluids. He also gave her some baytril.

There doesn't seem to be a reason for the statis which is very frustrating!

This is really stressful! She hasn't really eaten since Thursday evening :(

:cry: This happened with Mr Bennett, x rays, a dental, his temperature up and and down. Was there 3/4 nights. No known cause. Not eating. He recovered. Don't worry. Hopefully she will pick up soon.

We have given her some baby food twice now and she has eaten a couple of strands of hay but is still very quiet. We will give her some more baby food before we go to bed and see how she is in the morning.

She gave me a nice llittle nip when I was holding her before. Went through my jumper and broke the skin - maybe she is starting to feel better?

Did Mr B have an obstruction in the end?

Last edited:
Back