• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Danny Please

He's 2kg and on 0.8ml Metacam twice a day. Just spoken to one of the vets who is happy to prescribe some Tramadol to try over the weekend. I'll keep him inside now, I don't think he has the body fat to cope with being outside now the temperature has dropped. I can monitor him better in here too. I'll weigh him on my scales now as well and monitor his weight too. I just want to see him moving around again :( We'll hold off on the xray for another week at least.

I'd guess they check blood pressure with a GA, but they didn't pass any comment about it and I forgot to ask on the phone just now.

Is his respiratory rate/effort normal ?

I assume the Vet has ruled out heart issues ? If not I'd run that possibility (although absolutely NOT a certainty) by him/her before you give Danny any Tramadol.

I've had a problem keeping rabbits warm over this winter, when there's been underlying issues that we can't get to the bottom of. Temperature has been persistently just below normal and not enough body fat to sustain, as with your Danny.

I got an electric heat pad which stays on 24/7 and is brilliant, and brings temperature back up to normal, where I feel bunnies can cope a bit better. Can you syringe some high nutrition food too? I think you said you were collecting vitamins from the vet - is it something like Vionate?

I personally wouldn't risk another GA a week after ..

The vet mentioned a couple of brand names of vitamins, that could be one of them. I'm syringe feeding Critical Care to help. I left the heating on over night for him and he's been lying on his Snugglesafe. He feels much warmer today x

Is his respiratory rate/effort normal ?

I assume the Vet has ruled out heart issues ? If not I'd run that possibility (although absolutely NOT a certainty) by him/her before you give Danny any Tramadol.

I've been watching his breathing and other than it slowing when he was cold last night, it's been normal. No increased rate or effort and no mouth breathing. The vet said his chest and heart sounded normal, but I don't know if that completely rules out a heart problem.

I've only seen him groom his face. He sometimes turns his head to the right to try to groom his side with all four feet on the ground then gives up. He hasn't tried to turn to the left, or tried to groom his back with his front feet off the ground, or clean underneath. His bum is clean so he must be eating his cecals when I'm not looking, but I haven't seen him try.

I've been watching his breathing and other than it slowing when he was cold last night, it's been normal. No increased rate or effort and no mouth breathing. The vet said his chest and heart sounded normal, but I don't know if that completely rules out a heart problem.

I've only seen him groom his face. He sometimes turns his head to the right to try to groom his side with all four feet on the ground then gives up. He hasn't tried to turn to the left, or tried to groom his back with his front feet off the ground, or clean underneath. His bum is clean so he must be eating his cecals when I'm not looking, but I haven't seen him try.

Certainly sounds to be signs of spinal discomfort then.

With spinal arthritis the muscles along the spine often feel very hard/stiff when you examine them. No 'squishiness' about them at all.

The vet mentioned a couple of brand names of vitamins, that could be one of them. I'm syringe feeding Critical Care to help. I left the heating on over night for him and he's been lying on his Snugglesafe. He feels much warmer today x

At least he isn't using his energy to keep himself warm ... Bless him, I hope you get some answers soon. Not knowing is just purgatory x

Sadly not. Even an X-ray can prove inconclusive, although it may be indicative of a heart issue. I have found ultrasound to be the only reliable method of determining the extent of a heart problem.

I hope that's not the case with Danny x

The tramadol made no difference at all, but I suspect the dose was too low. Not going to risk a higher dose until we have a diagnosis. Danny is booked in for xrays on Monday, then ultrasound, more bloods and whatever else they need to do to get a diagnosis. Not ideal only two weeks after the last GA, but he's still losing weight despite syringe feeds and he's not a happy bun so we need some answers.

I've spent a lot of time watching him and I really don't know if it's arthritis, heart problems or something neurological. Or something else entirely. He's an odd one!

Just out of interest, does anyone know if rabbits can get rheumatoid arthritis, or any of the diseases that would be dealt with by a rheumatologist like spondyloarthropathy, lupus, connective tissue disease etc.? I know dogs can get RA but I can't find any info about rabbits. I can find references to studies on mice and rabbits but I don't really understand the big words! Just curious.

Sorry I don't have any advice, but just wanted to send loads of vibes for Danny xxx I hope you can get to the bottom of whatever it is, and make things easier for him xxx

Thank you. Danny is at the vets having all the tests done now. Sandy has gone with him this time because Danny has a shaved ear from the last op, so the vet can tell them apart :lol: Hoping they find something...

I'm sorry Danny is so poorly. :( Sending him and you lots of vibes and I hope the tests he is having done will establish the cause so he can be put onto the right treatment. xx

Thank you. Still waiting for news :( The receptionist couldn't tell me anything and the vet has gone back to consulting. Surely she would have called if he hadn't survived the GA? So worried now :cry:

Thank you. Still waiting for news :( The receptionist couldn't tell me anything and the vet has gone back to consulting. Surely she would have called if he hadn't survived the GA? So worried now :cry:

I am sure you'd have had a call straight away if anything awful had happened. Sending lots more vibes xx

I agree with Jane, I'm pretty sure they would have called if the worst had happened. Did the receptionist give any indication of when you can expect an update from the vet? I hope someone does give you a call soon just to let you know that he's ok, it's an awful long time to have to wait for news xx

Sending lots of vibes for Danny and hugs for you. It is so stressful waiting for news after an op.

Still nothing :( I'm sure you're right and no news is good news. Maybe they're waiting on blood test results? No idea when she'll call.

Still nothing :( I'm sure you're right and no news is good news. Maybe they're waiting on blood test results? No idea when she'll call.

They may have had emergencies in too, something like an RTA victim. That might mean that Danny's planned procedures are done later than hoped.

They may have had emergencies in too, something like an RTA victim. That might mean that Danny's planned procedures are done later than hoped.

True, that could be it. If I wasn't so used to buns having ops I wouldn't know what the normal routine is and I wouldn't be freaking out so much! They're usually home by now. Going to get stuck in rush hour traffic getting across town now. If she doesn't call soon I won't make it before they close!

True, that could be it. If I wasn't so used to buns having ops I wouldn't know what the normal routine is and I wouldn't be freaking out so much! They're usually home by now. Going to get stuck in rush hour traffic getting across town now. If she doesn't call soon I won't make it before they close!

If he was done late they may want to keep him in overnight xx

Back