• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Danny Please

So pleased to see a positive update. Hopefully the Metacam will make him more comfortable and you'll see an improvement.

He was stuffing his face when I arrived to collect him! Glad he's bounced back quickly. He's dropped from 2.3kg to 2kg in five weeks, but he feels so skinny to me.

Oh my what a time you've had :(

Glad Danny is home and that the dental op went well.

Sending vibes for his recovery and for things to get better for you x

Danny hasn't improved on the Metacam at all, he's got worse. I brought him and Sandy in last night as the temperature dropped. He's still eating but reluctant to move. He can move, but only when he has to. He was so flat last night I thought he was dying. He's brighter today but mostly hiding under the sofa eating hay. If I put him in the litter tray he'll stay for a bit and munch, then hop back under the sofa.

I think he needs an xray sooner than the 3-4 weeks the vet said for the repeat bloods. I can't figure out if it's arthritis or maybe a heart condition or tumours somewhere. I've never had a rabbit act like this. :cry:

Danny hasn't improved on the Metacam at all, he's got worse. I brought him and Sandy in last night as the temperature dropped. He's still eating but reluctant to move. He can move, but only when he has to. He was so flat last night I thought he was dying. He's brighter today but mostly hiding under the sofa eating hay. If I put him in the litter tray he'll stay for a bit and munch, then hop back under the sofa.

I think he needs an xray sooner than the 3-4 weeks the vet said for the repeat bloods. I can't figure out if it's arthritis or maybe a heart condition or tumours somewhere. I've never had a rabbit act like this. :cry:

Oh heavens Helen, that's awful :cry:

I'm glad to hear he's eating hay. He's not been thrown by being inside instead of outdoors?

Eating hay is still good but I think your right about wanting him booked in sooner.

Sending lots of vibes xx

Oh heavens Helen, that's awful :cry:

I'm glad to hear he's eating hay. He's not been thrown by being inside instead of outdoors?

They used to be housebuns, so they should be familiar with the room. He hasn't been moving around outside and was very flat when I brought them in last night. He didn't try to run away when I picked him up, which isn't right. Catching Sandy took much longer!

They used to be housebuns, so they should be familiar with the room. He hasn't been moving around outside and was very flat when I brought them in last night. He didn't try to run away when I picked him up, which isn't right. Catching Sandy took much longer!

:cry:

You definitely need a much sooner appointment. Sending hugs and vibes for a recovery, and an unearthing of what's going on with Danny x

Endeavour has arthritis in his lower spine/hips and he recently had a severe relapse of pain. For almost 36 hours he was very flat, eating but not with enthusiasm and consequently his gut motility was severely compromised. He really was very poorly. It was all due to pain. He was put on Metacam, Tramadol, Acupunture, Massage, heat therapy along with prokinetics and antibiotics (he had a raised temperature-maybe due to secondary infection triggered by the physiological stress of severe pain ) He has now responded to treatment and is doing OK. So it could well be that arthritic pain is causing all of Danny's symptoms. With Rabbits one primary condition can trigger secondary problems.

As the recent blood tests were normal I doubt a tumour is going to be involved. The slightly elevated liver enzymes could easily be attributed to the fact that he had been eating less, as your Vet explained.

I know it's hard not to think of worst case scenarios when we do not know what is wrong. When Endeavour was at his worst and also had the fever I was convinced it was RVHD2 ...................

Thankfully C has been on hand to not only help Endeavour, but to keep my over-thinking in check too !!

Lots more vibes being sent for Danny xx

Endeavour has arthritis in his lower spine/hips and he recently had a severe relapse of pain. For almost 36 hours he was very flat, eating but not with enthusiasm and consequently his gut motility was severely compromised. He really was very poorly. It was all due to pain. He was put on Metacam, Tramadol, Acupunture, Massage, heat therapy along with prokinetics and antibiotics (he had a raised temperature-maybe due to secondary infection triggered by the physiological stress of severe pain ) He has now responded to treatment and is doing OK. So it could well be that arthritic pain is causing all of Danny's symptoms. With Rabbits one primary condition can trigger secondary problems.

As the recent blood tests were normal I doubt a tumour is going to be involved. The slightly elevated liver enzymes could easily be attributed to the fact that he had been eating less, as your Vet explained.

I know it's hard not to think of worst case scenarios when we do not know what is wrong. When Endeavour was at his worst and also had the fever I was convinced it was RVHD2 ...................

Thankfully C has been on hand to not only help Endeavour, but to keep my over-thinking in check too !!

Lots more vibes being sent for Danny xx

Thank you, that all makes a lots of sense. One of the vets checked him over and couldn't feel any joint issues, did it take an xray to diagnose Endeavour or could a vet feel problems? I'm really kicking myself for not getting xrays done while he was under on Monday.

Danny was lying on the sofa for a couple of hours last night while I stroked him, he didn't even try to move. His breathing slowed and his eyes were glazed and I thought he was about to die. :cry: I didn't think he would make it to the vets, and the emergency vet would only have convinced me to let him go.

He's still eating and pooing, but I'm giving some CC as well. Going to collect some vitamins the vet has ordered for him shortly. He's on Metacam and Zantac, but I'm reluctant to ask for stronger meds without a diagnosis. Would you wait for the xrays before asking for Tramadol?

After such bad luck recently I've become a bit of a pessimist about everything! Hope Endeavour is having a good day xx

I'm sorry your Danny's recovery is slow and hope it sparks a bit with all the RU vibes to which I would also like to add mine.

Try not to overthink tumours. In humans a simple blood test called a "tumour marker" can be performed. Essentially it looks for an excess of certain types of blood proteins which is an indicator of activity. It is only an indicator, not a diagnosis. I don't know if such a test is used by vets or even available. it may be worth raising with your vet at some time.

Thank you, that all makes a lots of sense. One of the vets checked him over and couldn't feel any joint issues, did it take an xray to diagnose Endeavour or could a vet feel problems? I'm really kicking myself for not getting xrays done while he was under on Monday.

Danny was lying on the sofa for a couple of hours last night while I stroked him, he didn't even try to move. His breathing slowed and his eyes were glazed and I thought he was about to die. :cry: I didn't think he would make it to the vets, and the emergency vet would only have convinced me to let him go.

He's still eating and pooing, but I'm giving some CC as well. Going to collect some vitamins the vet has ordered for him shortly. He's on Metacam and Zantac, but I'm reluctant to ask for stronger meds without a diagnosis. Would you wait for the xrays before asking for Tramadol?

After such bad luck recently I've become a bit of a pessimist about everything! Hope Endeavour is having a good day xx

Did you take his temperature last night ? He may have been hypothermic. That could explain last nights symptoms.

I think I would be reluctant to rush into putting him through another GA so soon after the last one. Maybe living indoors and close monitoring for a week or so, including daily weight checks, might be a way forward ?

It is always tricky trying to balance having diagnostics to try to establish a definitive diagnosis and not risking things like GAs. With Rabbits I sometimes feel permanently stuck between a rock and a hard place ! I swear my dogs never caused me as much stress as my Rabbits have !

Did you take his temperature last night ? He may have been hypothermic. That could explain last nights symptoms.

I think I would be reluctant to rush into putting him through another GA so soon after the last one. Maybe living indoors and close monitoring for a week or so, including daily weight checks, might be a way forward ?

It is always tricky trying to balance having diagnostics to try to establish a definitive diagnosis and not risking things like GAs. With Rabbits I sometimes feel permanently stuck between a rock and a hard place ! I swear my dogs never caused me as much stress as my Rabbits have !

I was just about to book him in for an xray on Monday, would a week after the last GA be too soon?

I didn't take his temperature, but he did feel cold, and that was an hour or two after bringing him in. That makes sense. After a couple of hours he perked up enough to hide under the sofa eating hay with Sandy by his side. I hoped it would be safe to go to bed at that point as Sandy would probably avoid him if she thought he was about to die. And he wouldn't be munching.

Going to ask the vet if we can try something stronger than Metacam over the weekend x

I was just about to book him in for an xray on Monday, would a week after the last GA be too soon?

I didn't take his temperature, but he did feel cold, and that was an hour or two after bringing him in. That makes sense. After a couple of hours he perked up enough to hide under the sofa eating hay with Sandy by his side. I hoped it would be safe to go to bed at that point as Sandy would probably avoid him if she thought he was about to die. And he wouldn't be munching.

Going to ask the vet if we can try something stronger than Metacam over the weekend x

What dose of Metacam is he on and is he having 12 hourly doses of just once daily ? 12 hourly doses tend to be better for providing continued analgesic cover over a 24 hour period.

He may have become hypothermic due to a combination of immobility and the sudden drop in temperature last night. Rabbits with any health issues can really struggle to maintain their body temperature. Hypothermia can set in quickly and can present in just the way you describe.

I assume that his blood pressure was taken/monitored on Monday when he had the GA ?

I would discuss risks v benefits about him having another GA next Monday. Personally I'd be reluctant unless the Vet felt it to be absolutely essential.

What dose of Metacam is he on and is he having 12 hourly doses of just once daily ? 12 hourly doses tend to be better for providing continued analgesic cover over a 24 hour period.

He may have become hypothermic due to a combination of immobility and the sudden drop in temperature last night. Rabbits with any health issues can really struggle to maintain their body temperature. Hypothermia can set in quickly and can present in just the way you describe.

I assume that his blood pressure was taken/monitored on Monday when he had the GA ?

I would discuss risks v benefits about him having another GA next Monday. Personally I'd be reluctant unless the Vet felt it to be absolutely essential.

He's 2kg and on 0.8ml Metacam twice a day. Just spoken to one of the vets who is happy to prescribe some Tramadol to try over the weekend. I'll keep him inside now, I don't think he has the body fat to cope with being outside now the temperature has dropped. I can monitor him better in here too. I'll weigh him on my scales now as well and monitor his weight too. I just want to see him moving around again :( We'll hold off on the xray for another week at least.

I'd guess they check blood pressure with a GA, but they didn't pass any comment about it and I forgot to ask on the phone just now.

I've had a problem keeping rabbits warm over this winter, when there's been underlying issues that we can't get to the bottom of. Temperature has been persistently just below normal and not enough body fat to sustain, as with your Danny.

I got an electric heat pad which stays on 24/7 and is brilliant, and brings temperature back up to normal, where I feel bunnies can cope a bit better. Can you syringe some high nutrition food too? I think you said you were collecting vitamins from the vet - is it something like Vionate?

I personally wouldn't risk another GA a week after ..

Back