• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD in Kidderminster!!!

Well Im sorry but im not going to NOT post something that may effect MY rabbits just because one person has issues!!!!
If you dont want to know about it, dont read the thread?
And also, since when was 'Rabbit Chat' GENERAL Chat???????

I fully understand OCD issues, but I do feel your being rather selfish....wheres the concern for me and my rabbits??? At least your miles away, Im IN Kidderminster with 2 possibly unvaccinated rabbits....so yeah, thanks for the concern.

Debs I hope willow and holly are ok!!

Does anyone know of a good place to get f10 or Virkon from??

I thought about Rachy as soon as I saw this topic but at the end of the day its a rabbit forum and peoples main concern should be for the safety of the rabbits...what if someone missed it on the little VHD thread and their rabbits died?? Its unfair to say it shouldn't have been made obvious to everyone!

That's scary :( thanks for the alert! I don't live really close to Kidderminster, it's an hour drive, but I know it can spread. Can vaccinated bunnies get VHD, or a milder form of VHD, like with myxi?

My two have 7 weeks left of the last vaccine, but they've been vaccinated early as well (2 days ago) so they should be protected, and definitely will be in 2 weeks time!!

Debs I hope willow and holly are ok!!

Does anyone know of a good place to get f10 or Virkon from??I thought about Rachy as soon as I saw this topic but at the end of the day its a rabbit forum and peoples main concern should be for the safety of the rabbits...what if someone missed it on the little VHD thread and their rabbits died?? Its unfair to say it shouldn't have been made obvious to everyone!

I use Virkon: you can buy it on-line.

Well Im sorry but im not going to NOT post something that may effect MY rabbits just because one person has issues!!!!
If you dont want to know about it, dont read the thread?
And also, since when was 'Rabbit Chat' GENERAL Chat???????

I fully understand OCD issues, but I do feel your being rather selfish....wheres the concern for me and my rabbits??? At least your miles away, Im IN Kidderminster with 2 possibly unvaccinated rabbits....so yeah, thanks for the concern.

I am sorry but I don't think Rachlous polite request is selfish at all. It's makes no difference to you and your rabbits if the thread is in health instead of chat and yet it would make a big deal to Rachlou.

Whilst we obviously can't always accommodate everyone on here I think if we can do a small thing to make a big impact on another member the. Why wouldn't we?

The last 24 hours have really shown me this forum in a different light.

Kidderminster is in Worcestershire, about half hour from Birmingham!

If this thread was in health it's more likely to be missed and puts rabbits lives at risk!!

Thanks for posting, thankfully its not near us but I always keep an eye out for outbreaks as obviously some of our rabbits aren't vaccinated.

I never knew it could live for 200 days outside the host!

I don't live near there but to be honest I didn't know there was a section to put the outbreaks in. So if I did live in that place and this had been put in the outbreaks bit, I wouldn't have known. Hope all your bunnies stay safe! xxx

ETA just mapped it, its only an hour and 52 mins away from me down the M1! :shock: had Lola vaccinated Wednesday though

Last edited:
I think this kind of important information needs to be in a place that as many people as possible will see it. Unfortunately that means rachlous is also more likely to see it which obviously is something ideally noone wants, why would anyone WANT to trigger something like OCD? But in this case surely it's so important that as many people as possible are reached and as many rabbits protected as possible that the downside of badly affecting one person is an unfortunate necessity? Rachlous already says she avoids the health section which is a good step, so maybe one day as she starts to recover she'll learn not to open suspiciously titled threads too. But for now, this is a rabbit forum and this is an important and scary message that needs to reach everyone affected in the best possible way, which is not by writing it in a proxy little thread not many people know about, but putting it in the most viewed section.

I hope I haven't offended you rachlou, I didn't mean to, this is just my opinion on the matter. I'm sorry you have to suffer with such a horrible condition :( I wish you every luck for recovering one day!

I am sorry but I don't think Rachlous polite request is selfish at all. It's makes no difference to you and your rabbits if the thread is in health instead of chat and yet it would make a big deal to Rachlou.

Whilst we obviously can't always accommodate everyone on here I think if we can do a small thing to make a big impact on another member the. Why wouldn't we?

The last 24 hours have really shown me this forum in a different light.
It's a rabbit forum and no one should be stopped from posting things in the place where most members will read it.

Not everyone will be aware of an individuals problems and to be honest the welfare of the rabbits is paramount. If someone is so easily triggered by a thread title I can only suggest staying in general chat only.

Firstly I apologise if I offended anyone.
I have really bad signal where I live as its the middle of nowhere and once I realised I had said general chat instead of rabbit chat I couldnt get back on to change it.
But in theory that is inmaterial,at the top are stickys one which states remembering to keep topics in the correct section, there is a specific section for raising awareness of VHD so would it not be natural to post and alert IN the section specificely started for that reason??

Peanut-Toffie, I do not think I am being selfish in asking for this to be moved to the correc section. Obviously I understand your concern for your rabbits and I sincerly hope they will be ok.
I understand how scary this is due to having been and still being in the same situation, the difference being that you are mentaly well so can look at it from a realistic point of view, I however being serverely mentaly unwell can not and now feel there is another risk. I purposefully avoid the VHD OUTBREAKS section because I know it will trigger my ocd so I can not be said to be selfish when I come across a thread that should be in that section but isnt.

I don't see why this should be in the health thread... It's an awareness thing not a health issue if a bun actually had the disease then maybe it's a health issue

If the mods thought it belonged there they would have moved it by now

I have really bad signal where I live as its the middle of nowhere and once I realised I had said general chat instead of rabbit chat I couldnt get back on to change it.
But in theory that is inmaterial,at the top are stickys one which states remembering to keep topics in the correct section, there is a specific section for raising awareness of VHD so would it not be natural to post and alert IN the section specificely started for that reason??

Peanut-Toffie, I do not think I am being selfish in asking for this to be moved to the correc section. Obviously I understand your concern for your rabbits and I sincerly hope they will be ok.
I understand how scary this is due to having been and still being in the same situation, the difference being that you are mentaly well so can look at it from a realistic point of view, I however being serverely mentaly unwell can not and now feel there is another risk. I purposefully avoid the VHD OUTBREAKS section because I know it will trigger my ocd so I can not be said to be selfish when I come across a thread that should be in that section but isnt.

Surely you understand though that very few people look at the VHD section and therefore would miss the warning? I for one didnt even know it existed. Many probably dont look at health either unless they have a poorly bun or medical knowledge to help others.

I think the OP is just trying to warn as many people as possible and help bunnies, perhaps now you know its here just dont look at the thread, that would be the best solution. As an OCD sufferer also I know how hard it can be but unfortunately sufferes cant expect other people to understand/'pamper to our needs' apart from anything its not at sll helpful and makes the illness worse.

Surely you understand though that very few people look at the VHD section and therefore would miss the warning? I for one didnt even know it existed. Many probably dont look at health either unless they have a poorly bun or medical knowledge to help others.

I think the OP is just trying to warn as many people as possible and help bunnies, perhaps now you know its here just dont look at the thread, that would be the best solution. As an OCD sufferer also I know how hard it can be but unfortunately sufferes cant expect other people to understand/'pamper to our needs' apart from anything its not at sll helpful and makes the illness worse.

Good, thoughtful post, which I think sums things up.

I wasn't going to say anything but this has really annoyed me. To say that peanut toffee is ok because she doesn't have mental health problems is extremely unfair. The risks to her rabbits at this time are real . She lives in the area and I think her rabbits maybe unvaccinated. So she has every right to share her fears with everyone and be able to discuss any precautions she can take inc the best disinfectant etc. that is not what the vhd outbreak section is for.

Everyone has always been very patient and understanding of your fears even when they have no factual base and are completely unfounded. So it is only fair others are treated the same especially when their fears are real as unfortunately not all of us are lucky enough to be able to vaccinate all our rabbits through no fault of our own

I agree, I didn't even know there was a VHD section :shock:

Plus I don't think this should go into health as her buns aren't ill, she is not looking for medical advice, she is sharing a worry she has over her buns. I think that should be in rabbit chat. I have a field of wildies living less than 2 minutes walk from me, if I'd walked down there and seen myxi buns I'd post in rabbit chat saying so. My buns are vaccinated so I know there is nothing more I can do but it would stay on my mind so I'd want to share with people who would understand and let me know that they understand my concern. That would be chatting about rabbits as I don't need help, my buns aren't ill but I'd want to talk about it.

Triggering anybody is the last thing I'd ever want to do. But life can't be censored, on a rabbit forum we are going to discuss outbreaks of VHD, and a discussion that involves rabbits should go in rabbit chat IMHO, sorry.

I cant believe how off topic this has gone.....for starters I wasnt aware there is a VHD Outbreak section, so certainly wouldnt ever check it as most people wouldnt.
And whether Im mentally well or not (I do suffer from depression and anxiety issues if you must know) Im still worrying about my rabbits and other people who may have rabbits in this area.

I cant believe how off topic this has gone.....for starters I wasnt aware there is a VHD Outbreak section, so certainly wouldnt ever check it as most people wouldnt.
And whether Im mentally well or not (I do suffer from depression and anxiety issues if you must know) Im still worrying about my rabbits and other people who may have rabbits in this area.

its close to me too but there was an outbreak close to her brinsley made the vets aware of it the buns got vacced yesterday so I am worried...

There's a sticky for VHD outbreaks (and Ros from the RWAF has posted an announcement in the Health section about the outbreak so I'm going to link to that thread in the sticky in a moment so that it gets maximum coverage).

The sticky is probably best kept to details of the outbreaks themselves though, with any discussion elsewhere, so that it's easy to see details at a glance. This thread could maybe have been in the Health section if anything (although the OP wasn't asking any health related questions, but more to voice her concerns at the outbreak being so close to home so Rabbit Chat is as good a place as any in that respect I think).

If there are any concerns in future, or if anybody feels something needs moving, then it would be better to report the post and explain so that it can be dealt with discreetly by the mods.

I never knew there was a VHD section either.
I hope your buns get through unaffected peanut toffee. How scary, and I think it was nice of you to alert other members.

I don't think it's fair to ask for it be moved either, I know you really suffer rachylou and as soon as I saw it I thought of you but I'm afraid as this is a rabbit forum VHD is going to crop up now and then. A new member posting wouldn't know about your MH issues so would post unknowingly about this.

Anyway lets not turn this into a locked thread as it could really be helpful to people round the area!

((Hugs)) peanut toffee, I really hope your buns will be ok xxx

Back