• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very worried about Apricot :(

Personally I would clean out where Willoughby lived with Apricot now. I would put lots of interesting things in the area. I have found empty cereal boxes with just one flake of cereal in works as a distraction. Obviously I remove the box if Bunny is a cardboard eater. Also toys that can be chucked about. Old books that can be ripped up (removing all the paper when unsupervised). Feeding veg dangled from a high area making finding food more interesting. A dig box, if there isn’t one.

With regards to getting him another friend. Don’t rush into it. He might need a bit of time on his own. I wouldn’t attempt to bond him with Atticus and Clementine given Atticus’s chronic health problems and the fact that his bond with Clementine can be fragile.

You also need to give yourself time to process the loss of Apricot. Sending you supportive hugs x

Personally I would clean out where Willoughby lived with Apricot now. I would put lots of interesting things in the area. I have found empty cereal boxes with just one flake of cereal in works as a distraction. Obviously I remove the box if Bunny is a cardboard eater. Also toys that can be chucked about. Old books that can be ripped up (removing all the paper when unsupervised). Feeding veg dangled from a high area making finding food more interesting. A dig box, if there isn’t one.

With regards to getting him another friend. Don’t rush into it. He might need a bit of time on his own. I wouldn’t attempt to bond him with Atticus and Clementine given Atticus’s chronic health problems and the fact that his bond with Clementine can be fragile.

You also need to give yourself time to process the loss of Apricot. Sending you supportive hugs x

Okay I'll clean it all out today, thanks I just wasn't sure :(

Oh I'm not gunna rush into it, but he's only max 3 years old so I do need to think about what to do with him, coz he can't just be alone. I suppose the other option is to rehome him, but Idk if I'd be able to do that. Either way he can't be alone long term.

Yea 100% about Atticus and Clementine, fragile bond sometimes and his health issues rules them out.

I did what you suggested for Evelyn btw, hopefully one day it'll be a nice memory, ima print some pictures out of her and Apricot together too and keep them with the stuff x

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

I agree with all of this. I would definitely clear out the area, move things around and add a few new things.

Reagrding a new friend for Willoughby, I would say don't rush. Get him and you more settled first. You might find that some bunny somehow turns up and you will think, yep that's the one for Willoughby :)

I'm glad Willoughby is eating a little bit for himself now. Hopefully he will start to feel like moving around a bit soon.

I think this part is one of the hardest things about having rabbits. It's difficult enough for us when we lose them and it's even more heartbreaking to see the grief and loss their friend has to go through.

Your loss is still very, very raw so it's understandable that you're struggling with the thought of getting another friend for Willoughby. I don't think this is something you need to rush into as my gut instinct is that he may need a fair amount of time to grieve Apricot.

I'm so glad he is nibbling - clever & brave soldier :love: Do you think he'd like me to send him a box of fresh forage ? If I kept the raspberry, hawthorn & hazel on the branches it'd be easy to do the food + enrichment thing

Yea you're all definitely right, this is the bit I hate about rabbits :( I'm never ready for a new one after I've just lost one but I feel like I have to do something for the rabbit that's left. It wouldn't be for weeks and weeks anyway because the shed still isn't here anyway. He's staying indoors with us all til it's arrived and I've had a chance to insulate it and decorate it etc, that was always the plan. And I doubt it'll be quick I take ages to work out paint colours.. [emoji38]

His area is all cleaned out now and he's got lots of new willow things which are his absolute fav.

I'm so glad he is nibbling - clever & brave soldier :love: Do you think he'd like me to send him a box of fresh forage ? If I kept the raspberry, hawthorn & hazel on the branches it'd be easy to do the food + enrichment thing

That's such a kind and lovely offer, I'm sure he'd appreciate that, he always loves your forage packages, but I know you're busy atm so only if you have the time xx

Yea you're all definitely right, this is the bit I hate about rabbits :( I'm never ready for a new one after I've just lost one but I feel like I have to do something for the rabbit that's left. It wouldn't be for weeks and weeks anyway because the shed still isn't here anyway. He's staying indoors with us all til it's arrived and I've had a chance to insulate it and decorate it etc, that was always the plan. And I doubt it'll be quick I take ages to work out paint colours.. [emoji38]

His area is all cleaned out now and he's got lots of new willow things which are his absolute fav.

That's such a kind and lovely offer, I'm sure he'd appreciate that, he always loves your forage packages, but I know you're busy atm so only if you have the time xx

I'd really like to. I shall take a box & address label, forage after work (nice spot 5 mins away), pop in PO - it should make last post. If weathers nice I'll go on way in xx

I'd really like to. I shall take a box & address label, forage after work (nice spot 5 mins away), pop in PO - it should make last post. If weathers nice I'll go on way in xx
Thanks L, he'll love that :) xx

Bless Willoughby, but glad to hear he's nibbling a little now, really hope that continues. That is such a lovely thing to do J & B :love: Another hug for you Graciee xxx

Bless Willoughby, but glad to hear he's nibbling a little now, really hope that continues. That is such a lovely thing to do J & B :love: Another hug for you Graciee xxx
Thank you xx

Willoughby is just quiet today, not really eating much either and just sitting in a divot he's made in the hay. He looks so incredibly sad :(

I gave him new things to do last night but he wasn't really interested, the new willow ball was the only thing, he chucked it around a bit.

I really hope he picks up soon tbh

Aw, poor lad. :( I hope he can pick up soon, of course it's not really a process that can be rushed, grieving. :cry: If only they could talk!

How're you holding up, Graciee? (((((Huge hugs)))))) xxxxx

:( Its so sad to think of Willoughby with his broken heart, you, Evelyn & Michael too. I think we could all predict he'd take it hard as he was so besotted with her.

I hope he likes his forage & it helps distract him a little. Its mainly (non weeping) willows, hawthorn, hazel but a bit of plantain, cow parsley & sow thistle . It was sent 10am so all paws crossed it will arrive tomorrow. I check when gathering for bird poop but do 2nd check back home so can you give it the once over before feeding please xx

Aw, poor lad. :( I hope he can pick up soon, of course it's not really a process that can be rushed, grieving. :cry: If only they could talk!

How're you holding up, Graciee? (((((Huge hugs)))))) xxxxx

Thanks, not great tbh, but trying to carry on, thrown myself into fitting out Evelyns cupboard atm to keep my mind off things xxx

:( Its so sad to think of Willoughby with his broken heart, you, Evelyn & Michael too. I think we could all predict he'd take it hard as he was so besotted with her.

I hope he likes his forage & it helps distract him a little. Its mainly (non weeping) willows, hawthorn, hazel but a bit of plantain, cow parsley & sow thistle . It was sent 10am so all paws crossed it will arrive tomorrow. I check when gathering for bird poop but do 2nd check back home so can you give it the once over before feeding please xx
Yea I kinda knew it would be like this :'(

Thank you so so much, I'll give everything a thorough check, I'm sure he'll love it, I hope it gets him happy nomming again xx

Topping up the vibes. If he’s not a chewer you could maybe try him with a cuddly toy?

Thank you so so much joey&boo, also Willoughby wants to know if you've got any space in your warren? He wouldn't mind moving in [emoji38]

He had some earlier which Michael gave him and I think he did a better job of keeping it on top of the cage than me because he said it kept him busy for ages, but I just gave some more and within about a minute he'd dragged it all through to the floor to munch [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

He really seems to be enjoying it though when he moves outside ima ditch the cage top and only use the base, so ima get one of those peg things for him coz he really enjoyed this. We've ordered him some tunnels too to put in his puppy pen section coz I can buy much smaller ones now and more of them coz they take up way less space than stuff I had to buy for Apricot to be able to use.

But yea thank you so much its really perked him up today, Michael sent me a message just after it arrived asking about it and he said he shot up when he saw it all [emoji38] he's not used to fresh forage since we've moved so this was a real treat for him! He's a very happy bun [emoji7]
2cf29565560939909e95914cab2e70d4.jpg
74914921ed377e784915c67c71ba1c4f.jpg
36ce343ab1d352b0c3ba2a71f3f870b2.jpg
6199fd1a75abb3581f3fc3a4beccec6d.jpg
29823bb377c20703d182af690d7f021f.jpg

He looks perky with his forage:love:
Yea he's really perked up since having it, he's been rearranging everything in his space too, hence the tiny litter tray being backwards [emoji38] it's nice to see him doing stuff. He also flopped a min ago, which is good!

Back