• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I'm worried about Atticus

Graciee

Staff member
He's falling over a lot more and is very unstable on his feet now :(

I so wish we hadn't booked this holiday now tbh, we booked it in January but I had no idea this would be the case now. Currently got no one to do his injections whilst I'm away and I'm just Idk I'm worried about him generally because he seems to be getting worse body wise but also still very much wants to rush over for a fuss and noms :( and I don't wanna leave him :( I wish I had someone I trusted to look after him and do his injections :( my mum is staying here and can look after everyone np but can't do injections. But I just feel like leaving is the worst thing for him rn :( I worry if he gets worse and I'm not here :(

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Can your mum get him to the vet for injections? Or do your vets do boarding or home visits? Sometimes vet nurses will do it

I forgot to say I would take him to the vet anyway and see what they say. I’m sending lots of vibes and hugs too xx

How often does he need the injections? I think it’s weekly isn’t it ? Perhaps you could speak with William about the situation and ask him if a VN could do home visits to do them.

Sadly the falling over does get a lot worse toward the end for Rabbits with a wasting disease such as that Atticus has. But it can vary on a day to day basis, as you might have noticed. It doesn’t necessarily mean that the Rabbit is suffering. The fact that he is still so bright within himself indicates that he ‘just’ doesn’t have the muscle mass left to support himself too well. If he was a frail human he’d use a walking aid as we tend to not be able to rely on our legs to keep us on our feet.

What I would do is contact William and discuss things with him. I feel sure he would do his best to try to help so you don’t have to worry about Atticus missing the injections. It would also give your Mum some reassurance that a Veterinary professional was actually seeing him every few days.

Can your mum get him to the vet for injections? Or do your vets do boarding or home visits? Sometimes vet nurses will do it
Not really unfortunately, she works a drive away and it's not always guaranteed she'll get home okay. I could ask that tho

How often does he need the injections? I think it’s weekly isn’t it ? Perhaps you could speak with William about the situation and ask him if a VN could do home visits to do them.

Sadly the falling over does get a lot worse toward the end for Rabbits with a wasting disease such as that Atticus has. But it can vary on a day to day basis, as you might have noticed. It doesn’t necessarily mean that the Rabbit is suffering. The fact that he is still so bright within himself indicates that he ‘just’ doesn’t have the muscle mass left to support himself too well. If he was a frail human he’d use a walking aid as we tend to not be able to rely on our legs to keep us on our feet.

What I would do is contact William and discuss things with him. I feel sure he would do his best to try to help so you don’t have to worry about Atticus missing the injections. It would also give your Mum some reassurance that a Veterinary professional was actually seeing him every few days.

Nah its every other day. Yea I spoke to him about it he didn't really have any ideas tbh. Other than switching to tablet forum but said it would be twice a day probably then.

Problem is I don't live near to my vets really so it's not local for veterinary nurses.

Yea the falling is hard to watch :(

I forgot to say I would take him to the vet anyway and see what they say. I’m sending lots of vibes and hugs too xx
I don't think it's really a vet visit needed tbh this is just how it is, it's either he's well enough to be here or he's not unfortunately x

So sorry. I know of a couple of registered vet nurses who do home visits for things like claw clipping, meds etc - I haven't used them personally but I'll send you their details a bit later today & you could maybe have a chat with one of them.

Nah its every other day. Yea I spoke to him about it he didn't really have any ideas tbh. Other than switching to tablet forum but said it would be twice a day probably then.

Problem is I don't live near to my vets really so it's not local for veterinary nurses.

Yea the falling is hard to watch :(

Is it prednisolone ?

So sorry. I know of a couple of registered vet nurses who do home visits for things like claw clipping, meds etc - I haven't used them personally but I'll send you their details a bit later today & you could maybe have a chat with one of them.
Thanks Karen, do any of them do boarding? I only found one place who had insurance for injections everyone else said they couldn't do it [emoji51]

Thanks Karen, do any of them do boarding? I only found one place who had insurance for injections everyone else said they couldn't do it [emoji51]

Just pet sitting, visits etc I think. :( I'll send the details across anyway. They're both vet nurses (one definitely still working in a practice too) so they might also have contacts who can help. I'll ask my daughter if she knows of anyone too.

I'll check hang on, I think it starts with a K for some reason

Colvasone, not sure where I got K from [emoji58]

Dexamethasone then

Do you think that it has reduced the frequency/severity of his gut episodes ?

Dexamethasone then

Do you think that it has reduced the frequency/severity of his gut episodes ?
No not really, they're the same. It just allowed him to put on some weight but now he's lost it again I think tbh.

No not really, they're the same. It just allowed him to put on some weight but now he's lost it again I think tbh.

Has he had a blood test recently? As you probably know, corticosteroids can damage the liver and kidneys. Also, if the treatment is no longer of any benefit is it worth continuing it anyway, given the risks of doing so?

Has he had a blood test recently? As you probably know, corticosteroids can damage the liver and kidneys. Also, if the treatment is no longer of any benefit is it worth continuing it anyway, given the risks of doing so?

6 weeks ago now, Idk what would happen if we stopped, surely he'd go down hill..?

6 weeks ago now, Idk what would happen if we stopped, surely he'd go down hill..?

Well, you said he isn’t benefitting at all now. IE his gut episodes are no less frequent/ less severe and he’s now losing weight again. So I’d question whether the steroids are now causing some renal and/ or liver damage ( which would account for weight loss). I am not saying the treatment should be stopped, but with the lack of any benefits of continuing I would want to consider doing so.

Well, you said he isn’t benefitting at all now. IE his gut episodes are no less frequent/ less severe and he’s now losing weight again. So I’d question whether the steroids are now causing some renal and/ or liver damage ( which would account for weight loss). I am not saying the treatment should be stopped, but with the lack of any benefits of continuing I would want to consider doing so.

But they were never for his gut, that never changed or was meant to change. It was just for weight gain. I figured if we stopped he'd get even thinner? Which is pts territory.

I need to call for an appointment for their vaccines too anyway so I can talk to William then, but I'm not sure what else he'll say tbh [emoji51] it's hard getting blood, like really challenging so they try to limit the frequency a lot.

But they were never for his gut, that never changed or was meant to change. It was just for weight gain. I figured if we stopped he'd get even thinner? Which is pts territory.
:thumb:
I need to call for an appointment for their vaccines too anyway so I can talk to William then, but I'm not sure what else he'll say tbh [emoji51] it's hard getting blood, like really challenging so they try to limit the frequency a lot.

My vet usually prescribed anabolic steroid for myRabbits who had a complex problem like Atticus’s. Which is what I had actually meant when, months ago, I suggested asking William about anabolic steroids for Atticus. I assume there must have been a reason why he prescribed a corticosteroid instead though.

I am not sure I would have Atticus vaccinated while on the corticosteroid, corticosteroids affect the immune system so he might not produce any immune response to a vaccine. That’s something else I’d suggest asking William about.

My vet usually prescribed anabolic steroid for myRabbits who had a complex problem like Atticus’s. Which is what I had actually meant when, months ago, I suggested asking William about anabolic steroids for Atticus. I assume there must have been a reason why he prescribed a corticosteroid instead though.

I am not sure I would have Atticus vaccinated while on the corticosteroid, corticosteroids affect the immune system so he might not produce any immune response to a vaccine. That’s something else I’d suggest asking William about.

Oh yea I assume Atticus won't have his this year, but I'm gunna take all three along because they're all due etc.

Yea he didn't think that would be the best option at the time. His gut issues are well managed most of the time except for flair ups which vary in duration and time in between.. Maybe that's why?

Back