• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unusual mycobactrial infection of GI tract presenting as dysautonomia.

I'm beginning to be more hopeful now.
He definately feels better in the evenings than for a long time, 7 it's such a joy to see.
He even ate a little during the day on his own today.
Spoke to Marie. We're increasing the dose to 0.09ml 8 hrly.

This is really positive news! :D x

3 hours after the increased dose - I hardly dare post - He's just run the length of the garden with me.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
He actually wants to go out a lot.
He's rushed up & down stairs a few times now.
(On Sunday he couldn't make it upstairs in 1 go for the 1st. time, & has been loath to tackle the stairs, for a while.)

I've just noticed a minute hock sore on the left, with a lot of fur wear. (He normally lies on his side, or with his belly flat sticking his hocks up behind, but he's been taking more weight on his hocks recently). I'm praying his tummy feels more comfortable soon. Getting Thumper to lie on a blanket/duvet, whatever the weather is nearly as bad a critical care feed!!!

I really think we're going to get there.

Getting Thumper to lie on a blanket/duvet, whatever the weather is nearly as bad a critical care feed!!!

Tell me about it! My lops who have some sore hock issues seem to think that EVERYWHERE in my room is preferable to the towel/vetbed/sheet combo I put in there for them. :roll: Oh and sitting behind a door is even better. :roll:

SO glad to hear Thumps is getting much better!!

Tell me about it! My lops who have some sore hock issues seem to think that EVERYWHERE in my room is preferable to the towel/vetbed/sheet combo I put in there for them. :roll: Oh and sitting behind a door is even better. :roll:

SO glad to hear Thumps is getting much better!!

You know I love Thumps to pieces, & even love him for the personality he has, but he ain't half challenging at times. Did you find an answer to the "soft underlay"?

Glad to hear Thumps is much better- and your endeavours and experiance will help another sickly bunny when the time comes.

I think they're all challenging at some point or another!!

I'm going to try them on the lino in the bathroom some time. I'm hoping they will accept that the t/v/s is superior and if they get on ok I'll look into lino-ing my room. Other than that I'll just have to put another duvet down and hope they quit sleeping behind the door. :roll:

I think they're all challenging at some point or another!!

I'm going to try them on the lino in the bathroom some time. I'm hoping they will accept that the t/v/s is superior and if they get on ok I'll look into lino-ing my room. Other than that I'll just have to put another duvet down and hope they quit sleeping behind the door. :roll:

Thank you halfpenny. I hope our experience can help others too. I always chuckle to think I've been taught by a rabbit! :lol::lol:

I had to put carpet down on vinyl, because Thumps couldn't grip, & tended to skid uncontrolably. I was concerned he might damage a ligament.
He also completely rearranged ground level in the kitchen/ utility area.
I was fascinated by how he'd get an old 2lb bag of flour over the 2" rim of the bottom shelf. When shoulders didn't work, it was the power packed punchers at the back, to rip the bag open. He learned immediately that flour on his feet improved his grip. (Like ballet dancers use chalk on their shoes) Of course I left him a pile to hop into when he wanted - softee that I am!!

I'm seriously thinking of carpeting "our" bedroom with stable matting.
I've a sneaky suspicion that the final straw for Thumper was excessive humping his toy rabbit while I got some kip yesterday evening.

Wow, it never amazes me how sharp and clever your Thumps is!!!

I was going to go for that textured lino like the stuff we have in our bathroom. Sometimes they follow me in there and when they were free-ranging, back when they were a trio they had the run of the landing, Mini would often disappear in there if someone (usually me) had been so lax as to leave the door open. I also bonded Nutmeg and Smudge on that lino without them being too angry at me so I think it'll be ok. I'll do a trial run anyway. Least that way if I need to put stuff down I can put a duvet or whatever down safe in the knowledge that if they DO wee on it, I can clean it up, without worrying about putting some sort of sheeting underneath to protect the carpet.

I've just read through this thread and wanted to add my best wishes and positive thoughts for you and Thumper. What you have learnt from him is truly fascinating. I hope he continues to improve with his new medication.xx

Tentative good news.
I slept for a lot of yesterday, but when I was awake, Thumps was lying more comfortably, with ears saying "I'm feeling fine".:D:D:D:D
I saw him eating caecs in the afternoon!!!:D:D:D:D
In the evening he experimented with snacking small amounts of a bit of everything, every 1/2 hour.
He's drinking regularly :shock: so he's no sludge in heat, & poops are easier to pass. (Relief cos he's still moulting)
Much, much less protest over his meds!!!

The metacam is working. I believe it's stopping tummy ache.

I've slept on the floor to allogroom him while he's been so ill. The little darling allogroomed me several times yesterday while I dozed. :love::love::love::love:

He can fluctuate a lot but there are a lot of good signs here.

I havent posted before but have been following Thumps and his ups and downs over the last month or so.. I am so pleased he seems to be a bit better now and fingers crossed that it continues x

Thank you so much everyone. Your support is a massive strength to me.
I'm hoping for a miracle too.

I've just seen him eat a meal of caecs!! - he dipped down 10 times!! :D:D:D

We've also got something funny. I put the alarm clock on for med times. It only took about 4 alarms until he started running to a hidey hole when it goes off! I've seen Thumps use every trick Iused as a child to avoid that disgusting cod liver oil we were all given.
Our buns are incredibly bright when it comes to things which are important to them.

I agree totally with parsnip bun's comment on another thread.Too many buns bred in tiny hutches with no stimulation "shut off" to stop them from going insane with boredom.

Back