• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unusual mycobactrial infection of GI tract presenting as dysautonomia.

Goodness I'm finding this waiting hard.
I don't know whether it's end of the road, or he'll pick up & eat a bit.
I wish I knew if he was coming home.

Hang on in there!! I'm sure Thumper wants to get back to you as much as you want him to be back with you! It hasn't been the best week on RU but I think Thumper will be a little ray of light and hope at the end of it :D All paws and fingers crossed here willing the new drug to work!

Just heard this minute that he's eating & not had any side effects.
Tears of joy!! He's coming home about 4.30 :D:D:D:D:D:D
We'll have to wait a while to see if it helps his caecum.

You wouldn't believe today. I got confused by the time in the morning, found I'd got a flat car battery, took urgent taxi to GWR, & arrived an hour early :shock: My insurance wouldn't give me a jump start. Finally found neighbour with a battery charger. My own GI system is hyperactive & how :oops: & I've aged 10 years. :lol::lol::lol:

I can't believe the joy & relief! I'll be seeing those expressive black ears this evening!

Just heard this minute that he's eating & not had any side effects.
Tears of joy!! He's coming home about 4.30 :D:D:D:D:D:D
We'll have to wait a while to see if it helps his caecum.

You wouldn't believe today. I got confused by the time in the morning, found I'd got a flat car battery, took urgent taxi to GWR, & arrived an hour early :shock: My insurance wouldn't give me a jump start. Finally found neighbour with a battery charger. My own GI system is hyperactive & how :oops: & I've aged 10 years. :lol::lol::lol:

I can't believe the joy & relief! I'll be seeing those expressive black ears this evening!

Yay!!!!!!!!! I've got a big silly grin on my face now!! :D:D:D

Hurrah that's great news :D let's hope he goes from strength to strength now!! Suggest you have lots of hay for dinner tonight to sort your own little problem :lol:

Hurrah that's great news :D let's hope he goes from strength to strength now!! Suggest you have lots of hay for dinner tonight to sort your own little problem :lol:

Many a true word spoken in jest Boudicca. A different vet once suggested that Thumper didn't know that hay was food. Reply, "Oh I'll come over & eat some with him then. He often copies me."
ETA I'm just relieved that he's sailed through the day, & didn't have any of my setbacks.

Last edited:
It has gone midnight here so I need to go to bed but I couldn't until I knew Thumper was responding.:) He is such an inspirational little man.

Yes, he's home, and in true style none too pleased with me :love: :love: :love:. A few people have noticed that Thumper can actually glare disapproval!

He's had 2 reasonable snacks thank goodness. He looks comfortable lying down. We just have to see how it goes.

I'd love to know how he does nice round poops at the vets but as soon as he comes home, one would be hard pushed to guess which small animal they came from.:roll:

It's hopeful we can buy some more quality time.
Thank you so much for all your support. I think this must have been one of the worst days I've had for bunny care. Your posts have meant so much to both of us.

Back