• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unusual mycobactrial infection of GI tract presenting as dysautonomia.

The poops are pouring out this evening - nice big round ones - normal "Thumper"smell, OK black on the outside, but I don't care about that. Plenty of wee too. He's lying comfortably. I'm over the moon, but still a little cautious. :D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm delighted for you both :D
I'll get those plantains in the post after the bank hol weekend: I don't want them turning to compost before they get to you. Is it best to just stick them in an envelope as they are or pack them in something: I was thinking or damp newspaper- unless you want me to try to dry them?
Lucia xx

I'm delighted for you both :D
I'll get those plantains in the post after the bank hol weekend: I don't want them turning to compost before they get to you. Is it best to just stick them in an envelope as they are or pack them in something: I was thinking or damp newspaper- unless you want me to try to dry them?
Lucia xx

Exactly the same question Judy for me too! Plantains picked and in fridge - like Lucia I'm thinking of drying them otherwise they could just turn up limp and not very appetising. :?
On another day I might pick fresh and post immediately and hope it comes the next day. Lots of very long blueish soft wide-bladed grass at the cemetery - would Thumps like some of this too? Dandelions are still off the menu right?

Sorry folks. Thumper's feeling so well tonight I'm being threatened with being cut off from the internet, if I ignore him much longer. (He didn't get any play yesterday. I've been sleeping alot)

It would be wonderful if the plantains were dry please. He doesn't like them fresh for some reason. I can't dry them fast enough to get an extra day's supply in, & run out of windowsills! An envelope full would be a massive help towards getting that reserve.

I can't wait until Tues when we'll find out if he's filling his caecum better!

Sorry folks. Thumper's feeling so well tonight I'm being threatened with being cut off from the internet, if I ignore him much longer. (He didn't get any play yesterday. I've been sleeping alot)

It would be wonderful if the plantains were dry please. He doesn't like them fresh for some reason. I can't dry them fast enough to get an extra day's supply in, & run out of windowsills! An envelope full would be a massive help towards getting that reserve.

I can't wait until Tues when we'll find out if he's filling his caecum better!

The things us Bunny Mummies get excited about !! :lol:

I am thrilled to read of how well Thumper is responding to the Domperidone :)

Im so happy for you Judy,Its about time you had some good news.I have sent you some plantain seeds as I dont come across that many of them when Im out foraging for Baby and the tortoises

Judy, would putting them in the airing cupboard dry them out ok? There is a massive plant up the allotment. I picked loads from it the other week but I suspect when I go this evening there'll be more up there.

Also does Thumps like sage? I have a MASSIVE sage bush on my allotment. It seems to be starting to flower though. Can they eat the flowers?

I am really pleased Thumper is seeming so much more comfortable.

It is good too that you have both been able to catch up on some rest.

All the very best for Tuesday.

It's a good suggestion Schuette. My boiler is big (solar) & very well insulated, so I don't have an airing cupboard. I used to use the loft but don't go up unsupervised, after narrowly avoiding falling from the top of the ladder, & down the stair well!!! I had to get rid of the greenhouse, to keep a shed - long story about sewer flooding.

I need to make a wooden framed perspex "coldframe", no sides for ventilation, with slatted drying rack, & black plastic over bubble wrap under, to absorb heat. Once had the skills to do it, (Wood work's like orthopaedics :shock:)

I'd also like to make an out door coolhouse for Thumps in summer, part underground, & cooled by evaporating water off the roof (water tight to the inside, & vented to stop humidity building up). Evaporating water is incredibly effective for cooling. I aerosol spray Thumps with water, & damp his ears in the heat - not to soak him. He's so fastidious about his coat he grooms it off!!!
It's more than important he doesn't dehydrate & block his bowel with dried out food.

I've massive difficulty co-ordinating what's in my mind to any motor action - :censored: stroke & depression!!

I'll try and get you some plantains then and try it. What about sage?

I'm sorry he doesn't eat sage.
On the surface he's an incredibly fussy eater, & now very limited. When I researched what he would eat, I found it was the most efficient way to get a very high fiber diet (gut stimulation) & the nutrients are high in vitamins, low in starch, & most of the wild plants have a medicinal effect on the gut.
There's his dental & sludge issues to consider as well - getting enough food & fluid in when his spurs grow, (very fast). (With us, sludge is a hydration issue).

Poor chap has never eaten for pleasure but to keep his gut going, & to avoid mouth sores. He doesn't even want his culinary herb treats at the mo.

just wanted to say i always think of you and thumper. can't offer advice, but i do think about you. xxx

Like me! I feel a bit powerlesss to help. You've been so kind to me Judy - you've really kept me going with the whole Ginger thing. I just wish I could help you now.

Thinking of you loads.

Thank you so much for thinking of us; it means so much to me.

I've a lot of respect for the knowledge on here. You folks with stasis buns get to know your buns backwards, & every trick in the book. It helps me so much to know you are all keeping an eye on me, & would make gentle suggestions if I'd forgotten something.

He passed a "9 bead necklace" today!! He's only blocked on 1 which got tangled up inside him once, in his 1st. year before I understood the signs of a slow gut. He seems to be one of those buns who spins his moultings in his colon. 3 & 4 poops strung together are fairly normal in a moult & will pass, as long as he's well hydrated, & his gut is moving well.
He hasn't eaten much yet - but there's still plenty of time.

I now wonder whether he's been lying on his towel with his rear end over the tray, cos he's passing "necklaces". ("This is going to be a long job")

I'm beginning to get used to his changed routine. He rests much more, especially in the morning, but picks up & is really lively in the evening. I'm so relieved that he's taking his weight off his hocks again.

A big thank you for all your support.

A 9 'bead' necklace! that's quite impressive!
I read on 'tinternet that you could dry herbs in the microwave so I had a practise with some raspberry leaves- they caught fire :shock: I told you I was a terrible cook :lol: I offered the remaining leaves to the bunbuns and they were all 'you must be joking, we're not eating those!' so I ate them instead. They were a bit like melt in the mouth crisps, but without the flavour!

I'm now trying more traditional drying methods....:)

I'm sorry he doesn't eat sage.
On the surface he's an incredibly fussy eater, & now very limited. When I researched what he would eat, I found it was the most efficient way to get a very high fiber diet (gut stimulation) & the nutrients are high in vitamins, low in starch, & most of the wild plants have a medicinal effect on the gut.
There's his dental & sludge issues to consider as well - getting enough food & fluid in when his spurs grow, (very fast). (With us, sludge is a hydration issue).

Poor chap has never eaten for pleasure but to keep his gut going, & to avoid mouth sores. He doesn't even want his culinary herb treats at the mo.

Okies. I didn't get any tonight cos I didn't have time but I have spied some. They are loads so I'll try drying them out in the airing cupboard and see what happens!

Oh Lilbun :lol::lol::lol::lol: I can just see the charred raspberry leaves!
I can't get it right in the micro wave either!
I remembered I had partial success with brambles in a pillow case in my neighbour's tumble drier, but they went brown - probably in it for too long. Thumps isn't keen on them brown either. It's probably best to use the tumble drier to speed up the process rather than complete it.

Which wild plants do your buns eat Lilbun?

Back