• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help, I don't trust my judgment

Full house

New Kit
Help. I don't know what to do.

I have an appointment at the vets at 4.30 for Robin to be helped to Rainbow Bridge. He's been phenomenal, but he lost the use of his back right leg 11 days ago, his tummy is still difficult to manage and now his teeth are playing up too. He is just too frail and tired for yet more poking around at the vets.

After an initial bad first night when his legs failed him, he has been very determined, eating for England and dragging himself around at quite a pace. He'd been coping very well, but the last day or so has been less good.

He's eating some veggies now, after a morning when he has been very flat and I'm scared to death I've made the wrong decision. He will liven up for both veggies and syringed food and to move himself around, but mostly he is very quiet and looks very weary.

I am not coping with this very well at all. I keep having panic attacks and I don't trust my instincts anymore. I am finding it impossible to separate how Robin was before all this, asleep most of the time, moving little and eating everything in sight, to how he is now, which frankly is essentially the same.

Am I having him put to sleep for acting like an elderly rabbit, which he is?

I am so angry with myself for being so useless, but I am really struggling to see how Robin is objectively. I've always had animals pts a day earlier rather than later and always known it was the right thing to do, but I feel blind here.

I have had Robin for nearly 8 years. He was a rescue and very frightened. He's had dental issues his whole time with me and we have a very special bond. I know he loves me very much and he is the air I breathe. I absolutely do not want to keep him alive for me. His life is his own. This is 100% about Robin. But I have never felt so frightened in my whole life. I am suffocated with guilt after every animal of mine dies. I have PTSD because of horrendous things I've seen and I can't get this wrong. I will be haunted for ever if I do this too soon or too late.

I know I sound deranged and hate to think it seems as though I'm too useless to have animals. But I honestly don't know what to do. Part of me thinks that if I'm not sure, maybe it isn't time. To reiterate, I would have him pts this second if I was certain it was the right thing to do for Robin, but I don't know if it's quite time yet. Maybe I'll know for sure tomorrow, but I felt I knew for sure earlier.

I'm so sorry, but any advice is greatly appreciated. x

Hi there. Do you have a good and trusting relationship with your Vet ? This can help enormously when it comes to making ‘the decision’. I know for certain that my Vet will tell me if I am making the right decision for the Rabbit.

If Robin’s day is mostly being ‘flat’ with just a transient amount of activity about food, if he is unable to clean himself at all, if he gets stressed by a lot of hands on care and of course if he is in any discomfort not well controlled by analgesia then perhaps now is his time. But really no-one else can make the decision for you as you know Robin better than anyone else does. Whatever decision you make it is obvious that it will be based on what is best for Robin.

You poor thing. I can relate to this so much, as I always struggle with the final decision. As you say, it's so easy to get used to the way they have become. Honestly, I just don't know. These decisions are a complete nightmare, but I think the one thing I always consider is whether there is any possible treatment to help or not and, if not, question whether prolonging the situation is a good idea. That said, I've never had a pet put to sleep on a 'good/better' day for them, whatever the situation.

Lots of love to you x

Hi there. Do you have a good and trusting relationship with your Vet ? This can help enormously when it comes to making ‘the decision’. I know for certain that my Vet will tell me if I am making the right decision for the Rabbit.

If Robin’s day is mostly being ‘flat’ with just a transient amount of activity about food, if he is unable to clean himself at all, if he gets stressed by a lot of hands on care and of course if he is in any discomfort not well controlled by analgesia then perhaps now is his time. But really no-one else can make the decision for you as you know Robin better than anyone else does. Whatever decision you make it is obvious that it will be based on what is best for Robin.

My vets are sadly in the camp that suggest rabbits are pts for virtually everything. Sadly I have no alternative, hence the responsibility of all decision making being solely mine. Obviously that's part of the deal. What has made this so difficult emotionally is that I have lost a fair amount of bunnies in a relatively short period of time because I had been adopting the old/ill/useless teeth bunnies. One was very elderly and frail and didn't last the night. I was happy doing this and will never regret it as I had the most special bunnies in my life, but after a particularly agonising year, I realised I couldn't do it anymore. Unfortunately, I have been damaged by this and for a variety of reasons Covid has triggered my PTSD to a degree where despite increased medication it is barely controllable.

I have been with Robin all day and I do, sadly think it is time. Know it is. I would hack off both arms if I could change this, but I know I have to be the bravest I have ever been and help Robin on his way. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do, harder than when my step dad died from cancer and he meant the world to me.

Thank you for your kindness. x

You poor thing. I can relate to this so much, as I always struggle with the final decision. As you say, it's so easy to get used to the way they have become. Honestly, I just don't know. These decisions are a complete nightmare, but I think the one thing I always consider is whether there is any possible treatment to help or not and, if not, question whether prolonging the situation is a good idea. That said, I've never had a pet put to sleep on a 'good/better' day for them, whatever the situation.

Lots of love to you x

Thank you for your kind words. I realise now that it is time for Robin to go to Rainbow Bridge. I would do anything for it not to be, but he is worn out. He's an astonishing bunny and I have had nearly 8 years with him, which whilst not nearly enough, is longer than any other animal I have had as an adult. I am so lucky.

I will return to Robin under the bed, for our last time together. I have to be braver than ever before, but I will be, because Robin has taught me well. Thank you again. x

Thank you for your kind words. I realise now that it is time for Robin to go to Rainbow Bridge. I would do anything for it not to be, but he is worn out. He's an astonishing bunny and I have had nearly 8 years with him, which whilst not nearly enough, is longer than any other animal I have had as an adult. I am so lucky.

I will return to Robin under the bed, for our last time together. I have to be braver than ever before, but I will be, because Robin has taught me well. Thank you again. x

I can relate to all you say. I too have CPTSD and I had to make ‘ the decision’ for my Soul Rabbit Inspector Morse. He was my world and he literally saved my life on more than one occasion.He had multiple health problems including cancer. Letting him go was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, but like you know that it is Robin’s time now I knew it was The Inspector’s time on 2nd February 2014.

A part of Robin will remain with you forever, a bond so strong cannot be broken by death.

Sending you many supportive hugs.

You have enough to deal with your ptsd and past losses without having this weight on your shoulders. Sending positive vibes for you.

Back