• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unusual mycobactrial infection of GI tract presenting as dysautonomia.

I hope the doperidone treatment will be positive for Thumper. You are both well overdue a good result.

Has a date been set yet?

I hope the doperidone treatment will be positive for Thumper. You are both well overdue a good result.

Has a date been set yet?

Thank you everyone. He'll have his 1st. dose as soon as it arrives, either tomorrow or perhaps Sat. It's a real struggle to keep him eating enough, & he's got tiny "stasis" poops.

The fundamental issue is that his own immune system is destroying the nerve ganglia in the gut, & this process will continue. We've looked at long term immunosuppression with steroids. Rabbits do badly, & succumb to overwhelming respiratory infection, within a relatively short time. Also steroids increase gut hypomotility!:roll:

Because the disease process is patchy & has mainly affected the caecum & all we can do is to "overstimulate" the autonomic nervous system, my concern is that areas of normal innervation will "cramp" painfully.
Because we cannot arrest the disease, only buy a little more time, I want any extra time to be good quality, not a misery of pain.
Also the caecum is not only the place of fermentation by bacteria to release nutrients, but a very important place for the absorption of nutrients.

Thumps has formed a very unusual relationship with me, & other humans. He's very much a rabbit, AND he has found a way to both communicate with people, together with some human social behaviour. I'm not only his owner, protector, & able to manipulate his environment in ways he can't eg. open closed doors/ put on the fire, I have done my best to give HIM as much rabbit behaviour as I can, so I'm all he has as a companion bun.

A friend keeps her buns in a colony. When a bun is seriously ill, a partner bun continously grooms the sick one, & hardly leaves it. Thumps knows he's very ill, because he has asked me to stroke him (a particular way of lying down) so frequently. When he's had enough, he sits up & I've always respected this. I've noticed that he can often poop after stroking, & sometimes manages a few mouthfuls of food.

I have been very deeply privileged indeed to have this quality of relationship with a rabbit. He has returned my efforts 100 fold, by adaptation to human ways, & in what he has given to me.

I have everything crossed for you and Thumper.I know how much your special boy means to you Judy xxxxxxxx

does thumper get his treatment today? good luck hun i have everything crossed for him xxxxx

Thank you donnamt. There's no phone call yet so I guess it hasn't arrived.

Last night was lovely, he asked to go out, & was really playful in the evening with slightly improved stamina. It 's pure joy to see him feeling a bit better.:D:D

sorry i haven't been around much judy.

you and thumper are in my thoughts. xxx

No worries from my viewpoint poppymoon. I know you are always behind us. Rather I've been concerned for you, with 2 dental/stasis buns.
I always think of you when I check Thumps ears for over heating :lol:

No worries from my viewpoint poppymoon. I know you are always behind us. Rather I've been concerned for you, with 2 dental/stasis buns.
I always think of you when I check Thumps ears for over heating :lol:

its me who's not been too great. until today the buns have been fine but now lord eric has decided not to eat his usual things - just cardboard, paper and some raspberry leaves (my poor baby plant is almost bald!):(

must admit tho, my ears feel pretty warm today - and my nose is wet (hayfever:roll:).

Oh dear! I hope Eric decides to get some proper food down this evening. Everything crossed for him.

Marie phoned - 1st. dose of domperidone at 8.45 tomorrow.
Please wish us luck tomorrow folks.

Thumps has decided he likes plantains (uk wild plant NOT mini bananas) but only likes them dry. They are said to be soothing for gut inflammation in buns as well as good fiber.

oh gosh, when will you know if its good results hun?

i hope you manage to get some sleep tonight and as always loads and loads and loads of vibes for thumper xxxxx

Should know if he tolerates it without nasty side effects by mid day.
I guess we have to wait & see whether it gets the caecum working.

I have had a quiet word in the four buns' ears and they have all their little paws crossed that this treatment will be beneficial for Thumper with minimal side effects.

I will be thinking positive thoughts for you both.

Thank you so much for the good luck wishes. He's in, & on good form despite poor food intake & poop output, so it's just the wait now.

Of course poor Marie has the most unenviable task of syringe feeding him first, or getting something in his tummy to reduce the risk of gut cramps.

Back