• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unbelievable

Why on earth would they dress a rabbit up...a rabbit is not a doll, nor is it a dog yet it's on a lead! :cry:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Geez what's wrong with people... I already have my views on rabbits on a lead... but I know some people do it... but putting some kind of dress on them... well that's just, unbelievable.
I had to put Bunbuns in a tshirt before, a vet one, because after her spaying (she's such a clean freak) she kept going until she managed to get one of the internal stitches nearly undone, but spotted it quickly and took her back, they then put her in one of those body/tshirt things, designed for them not to get it off... few days later, she got it off, vet couldn't believe it lol, that's my girl. But I hated putting it on her, so cant see why anyone would put their bunnies in stuff like that for "fun".

yeah definitely not a harness. those I find bad enough... bunnies are, in my opinion, not meant to walk on leads, but yeah that looks like a collar. I wish someone would put a collar on them and show them how it feels like... oh well, people.... what can you say really

That is so sad. For anyone who knows rabbits we can see that that is not a happy bun, its scared and being forced to do things it doesn't want to do :cry:

Good God :shock:
Whoever did that to this poor rabbit needs a good smack around. :evil: How horribly cruel.
Even dogs can only tolerate so much clothing and some should never be in collars attached to leads due to the risk of tracheal collapse. I feel so bad for this bunny. Is there somewhere to report this as abuse?

I'm sure the owner didn't realize though. I mean I doubt they're some horrible abusive person like people are making out...

The collar is bad (I'm a fan of harnesses though) but with the shirt, how do you know that it doesn't mind clothes? How do you know the owner didn't put the shirt on it just for 2 mins to take a picture? I've put clothes on rabbits before and they didn't freak out. Some rabbits are calm and friendly and don't mind much. Obviously unless for medical reasons you shouldn't keep clothes on rabbits and I wouldn't actually advise it since many rabbits are stressy but it doesnt automatically make the owner an ignorant cruel person.

No, it wasn't a good idea for the owner to post those pictures because maybe anyone looking to adopt the rabbit and even other people that see it might think it's ok to use collars and dress rabbits up without considering whether the rabbit may get stressed out (although I bet they thought it would indicate how friendly the rabbit is, what a good pet it'd make, that it's well loved etc). If it weren't for that part I'd say people are way overreacting.

I'm sure the owner didn't realize though. I mean I doubt they're some horrible abusive person like people are making out...

The collar is bad (I'm a fan of harnesses though) but with the shirt, how do you know that it doesn't mind clothes? How do you know the owner didn't put the shirt on it just for 2 mins to take a picture? I've put clothes on rabbits before and they didn't freak out. Some rabbits are calm and friendly and don't mind much. Obviously unless for medical reasons you shouldn't keep clothes on rabbits and I wouldn't actually advise it since many rabbits are stressy but it doesnt automatically make the owner an ignorant cruel person.

No, it wasn't a good idea for the owner to post those pictures because maybe anyone looking to adopt the rabbit and even other people that see it might think it's ok to use collars and dress rabbits up without considering whether the rabbit may get stressed out (although I bet they thought it would indicate how friendly the rabbit is, what a good pet it'd make, that it's well loved etc). If it weren't for that part I'd say people are way overreacting.

It's obvious from the Rabbit's body language that 1- he hates being on lino/vinyl flooring and 2- he is anxious, his ear position 'says' that.

The bunny looks so utterly miserable. I do hope some sensible person will rush off and rescue him/her.

It's obvious from the Rabbit's body language that 1- he hates being on lino/vinyl flooring and 2- he is anxious, his ear position 'says' that.

yeah but that's part of my point, they most likely didn't realize that. The fact they posted them shows they just thought it was cute and showed what a good rabbit he is to potential adopters. I mean I'm not saying their ignorance makes it ok but I don't think it's fair for people to act like they're horrible.

I think people can be too careful about rabbits too...I mean people put clothes on their dog or cat when they know their dog/cat doesn't like it and they'll admit that and post the pics and say 'isn't this cute, lol, as you can see he wasn't very impressed but I gave him a treat afterwards to make up for it!' and no one bats an eye, but it's like a crime if someone does that with bunnies.

I just don't think it's all that bad really. I wouldn't make a habit of it (and I haven't even put a shirt on a rabbit in several years) but for the odd quick picture I don't think it's going to do any harm to many rabbits. I guess maybe it's because prretty much all of my buns have been calm and friendly. I've never went a day without buns since I was about 2 years old so I do know a lot about them and can tell if they get stressed and they never have been stressed when I've done unconventional things with them, so I guess I kinda lean towards being sympathetic towards the owners when these topics come up. It just doesn't seem very fair to bash them and say they deserve to be slapped and have a collar put around their neck when they probably have no idea. I remember recently reading a thread on RU where a newbie had put collars with bells on their buns, they just didn't know it was wrong.

yeah but that's part of my point, they most likely didn't realize that. The fact they posted them shows they just thought it was cute and showed what a good rabbit he is to potential adopters. I mean I'm not saying their ignorance makes it ok but I don't think it's fair for people to act like they're horrible.

I think people can be too careful about rabbits too...I mean people put clothes on their dog or cat when they know their dog/cat doesn't like it and they'll admit that and post the pics and say 'isn't this cute, lol, as you can see he wasn't very impressed but I gave him a treat afterwards to make up for it!' and no one bats an eye, but it's like a crime if someone does that with bunnies.

I just don't think it's all that bad really. I wouldn't make a habit of it (and I haven't even put a shirt on a rabbit in several years) but for the odd quick picture I don't think it's going to do any harm to many rabbits. I guess maybe it's because prretty much all of my buns have been calm and friendly. I've never went a day without buns since I was about 2 years old so I do know a lot about them and can tell if they get stressed and they never have been stressed when I've done unconventional things with them, so I guess I kinda lean towards being sympathetic towards the owners when these topics come up. It just doesn't seem very fair to bash them and say they deserve to be slapped and have a collar put around their neck when they probably have no idea. I remember recently reading a thread on RU where a newbie had put collars with bells on their buns, they just didn't know it was wrong.

Finally someone who speaks sense and doesn't shoot someone down just because they see something on the internet...

We'll simply have to agree to differ yet again :)

It baffles me how anyone can defend doing this to an animal.

I think its a lack of basic common sense, which annoy me because I would hope anyone would have a certain amount of common sense...I made mistakes when I first got my boys, but I certainly would not have dressed them up in pretty clothes....not even for a second. Or put a collar on them, they are rabbits, not dogs...

Also we do not know what was written in the ad....wouldn't surprise me if it was the same sad ''kids aren't interested'' or ''we are moving'' ****....

It baffles me how anyone can defend doing this to an animal.

I think its a lack of basic common sense, which annoy me because I would hope anyone would have a certain amount of common sense...I made mistakes when I first got my boys, but I certainly would not have dressed them up in pretty clothes....not even for a second. Or put a collar on them, they are rabbits, not dogs...

Also we do not know what was written in the ad....wouldn't surprise me if it was the same sad ''kids aren't interested'' or ''we are moving'' ****....

It baffles me too.

Animals are only ever dressed up to please the human, end of. It is of no benefit to the animal at all. I prefer seeing an animal in the fur, much cuter than ridiculous clothing.

It isn't only rabbits, people also dress up guinea pigs :(

I wish they were closer to me because we currently have space for a bun having just put up Dora's new shed! I don't understand how anyone can think that it's ok to put a collar and lead on a rabbit! I know that harnesses are often debated and I have sat in both sides of that fence (my lovely old bun took to it really well and it was a way of making it possible for her to come on caravan holidays with us and still get lots of outdoor exercise, but one attempt with Dora was enough to know that she'd never be safe on a harness) but a collar could never be right!

I've also never contemplated putting any kind of clothes on a rabbit! I've been prone to a santa hat on the cats but they aren't a prey animal and they react totally differently to life than rabbits do! It's very sad when people get it so wrong!

I assume that the owners thought it was okay because people dress up dogs and put collars on them. They probably have no idea that they are distressing the bunny, and if it didn't protest they'd think it didn't mind.

It's a failure to understand rabbits. To me it seems like a natural progression from the idea that rabbits are cuddly children's pets, like living breathing soft toys - of course I don't approve but it makes sense. Cuddly toys don't mind having clothes put on them, and if the rabbit didn't give out any "please stop this" signals that the owners understood (blaming owners here not rabbit) then they'd carry on and not realise. I'd think "clueless owner" rather than "malicious owner".

I don't like to see clothes on dogs either unless they are functional, useful clothes like the coat I got for my old arthritic Lab to wear in the winter, or a tshirt for a dog that needs to have its skin protected from the sun. If you want to dress something up, get a doll.

Back