• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"Tummy bunny" parents please help.

thumps_, have you found it to be a local issue? I know the freshness of veg in supermarkets often depends on the distance from distribution centres, etc (e.g. when we only had one Waitrose in the area, the fresh fruit and veg from there was not good at all).

I have 24 rabbits here ranging in age from less than 1 year to more than 12 years old...so quite a good 'test group' for trialling foods...so if anybody has any doubts about the veg from a particular supermarket, I'm happy to try it out on my bunch :wave:

Abbymarysmokey, I may have misunderstood you, but took this comment to mean that you would try your own buns on veg from supermarkets which seemed to be implicated with GI issues in some buns. My response to this, is to advise stongly against doing so, in view of the fact that some buns seem to have prolonged illness with caecal dysfunction. As you say it may be a transport issue.
A simple comparison of bacterial /yeast/fungal types & counts across the brands, is what would be required,+ details of source & preparation methods.

I wasn't saying about my bunnies to disagree with anything you have said, I was just sharing my experiences of stasis and veg, which is what I thought you wanted from this thread :)

Another pair fell ill at the same time in Dec. again when supermarket veg was needed. Coccidia were isolated from the stool & full treatment given, but there has been no improvement in the gut issues. Neither bun has had previous GI issues. No other illness has manifest over the last 3 1/2 months.

Was it Hepatic or intestinal coccidia? I've heard that in cases of hepatic c. at least (possibly also intestinal?), rabbits can carry the disease for life

Was it Hepatic or intestinal coccidia? I've heard that in cases of hepatic c. at least (possibly also intestinal?), rabbits can carry the disease for life

Intestinal. I believe that the carrier state is more common. There was no exposure to wild rabbits. The owner has a rabbit savvy vet who asked for further advice from an exotics referral center re. treatment.

I wasn't saying about my bunnies to disagree with anything you have said, I was just sharing my experiences of stasis and veg, which is what I thought you wanted from this thread :)

Thank you Hugo's There. It is very much what I wanted. A pattern is emerging of no response from Wales, Scotland, North East England, East Anglia or Kent as far as I know.
Of course members may not read this thread, or those who do so may choose not to respond.

Back