• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timothyhay.co.uk in boxes?

They should be in boxes from now on from the sound of it. Much more difficult to move and store for us :( They do have the advantage of making good bunny toys later but.. My real issue right now is how much less you get for the same price. A whole kilo less but still for £40 is going to have a big impact on us. We go through so much :(
Are there any decent alternatives out there that might be cheaper? I've had to spend £80 in hay this week to try to get a stock for over the holidays and we will feel that 2kg less :/ It was already expensive to start with

For me it’s not just the price, it’s how much waste there is and how much they like it. Thankfully the goats hoover up wastage but I’ve swapped to haybox at the moment as it is the preferred hay. These are the prices I’ve looked up recently, some involve a minimum order for free delivery but these are some ideas. I’d suggest getting samples. To get cheaper prices it’s necessary to order more in some cases. Haybox hay comes in 3 boxes when I order 15kg.

Timothy hay.co.uk 8.5kg £22 = £2.58 kg
Hay box 15kg £39.95 = £2.53 kg
Hay and straw Timothy and rye 9.5kg £18 = £1.89
Sweet green hay from nature’s own 3.5 kg £5.19 = £1.48 kg

If your bunnies like baled meadow hay then baled hay from equine feed merchants is the cheapest option by far. You can get bags to put them in your car or use old duvet covers.

Greater hay consumption = happier rabbit and less likely dental issues.

If your bunnies like baled meadow hay then baled hay from equine feed merchants is the cheapest option by far. You can get bags to put them in your car or use old duvet covers.
I drive 18mi for mine, since the place just 9mi away stopped doing baled feed and bedding. That costs £5, and according to the internet a bale is somewhere between 15 and 25kg. So let's call it 15kg at 'worst' and add in my petrol+car maintenance costs etc.; I'll use the Uni rate of 43p per mile. That makes it about £1.37 per kg. If you just take the base hay cost and not the car costs associated with it into account, then it's 33p per kg.

For me it’s not just the price, it’s how much waste there is and how much they like it. Thankfully the goats hoover up wastage but I’ve swapped to haybox at the moment as it is the preferred hay. These are the prices I’ve looked up recently, some involve a minimum order for free delivery but these are some ideas. I’d suggest getting samples. To get cheaper prices it’s necessary to order more in some cases. Haybox hay comes in 3 boxes when I order 15kg.

Brilliant! Might try some hay box hay once in a while. It does look good. Off to google natures own!

I can confirm Haybox is really good, its very dust free and excellent all around. it probably does works out about the same per kilo as others tbh; but I've never sat down to work it out personally :lol: it just looks more expensive at face value than the others.

I'm kinda curious what will happen to hay&straw? they use plastic bags. surely they would/should face the same issue..right..?

I drive 18mi for mine, since the place just 9mi away stopped doing baled feed and bedding. That costs £5, and according to the internet a bale is somewhere between 15 and 25kg. So let's call it 15kg at 'worst' and add in my petrol+car maintenance costs etc.; I'll use the Uni rate of 43p per mile. That makes it about £1.37 per kg. If you just take the base hay cost and not the car costs associated with it into account, then it's 33p per kg.

farm hay is always much cheaper, I am always jealous of those who have that option!! I used to at my parents house, also cost £5 for something utterly massive. we have a few equine feed shops nearby now but none stock hay unfortunately :( or I'd buy a wheel barrow to walk a bale home :lol:

thanks for putting these values in one place.

Less likely to have digestive issues too. I've recently adopted same kind of rationale with J&B by giving them daily Oxbow Joint support as a preventative measure- they show no signs of problems, unlike Mousey (she is far gone enough for me to know they help her) but if it stops J&B developing arthritis itsa solid investment

farm hay is always much cheaper, I am always jealous of those who have that option!! I used to at my parents house, also cost £5 for something utterly massive. we have a few equine feed shops nearby now but none stock hay unfortunately :( or I'd buy a wheel barrow to walk a bale home :lol:
I was somewhat appalled by the equine hay supply around here: I'm in south Nottingham, surrounded by farmland, the rolling fields of Leicestershire are a few miles away, but I have to go up to mid-Nottinghamshire for hay! That's not so bad on a day when I'm going to the Air Museum anyway, as it's kind of on the way (10mi detour maybe?), but it still works out better value than online to drive there and back. I'm always trying to use different Google parameters when searching but nothing comes up, or it's all haylage :S Although the quality was a bit hit&miss at the last place, it's really good at Forrest Feeds, I even got the just-cut stuff in June/July last time I went and it only stopped smelling of fresh-cut fields about a month ago :)

You'd want a fishing cart for a hay bale: sturdy, four wheels and can take a lot of weight :thumb:

I was somewhat appalled by the equine hay supply around here: I'm in south Nottingham, surrounded by farmland, the rolling fields of Leicestershire are a few miles away, but I have to go up to mid-Nottinghamshire for hay! That's not so bad on a day when I'm going to the Air Museum anyway, as it's kind of on the way (10mi detour maybe?), but it still works out better value than online to drive there and back. I'm always trying to use different Google parameters when searching but nothing comes up, or it's all haylage :S Although the quality was a bit hit&miss at the last place, it's really good at Forrest Feeds, I even got the just-cut stuff in June/July last time I went and it only stopped smelling of fresh-cut fields about a month ago :)

You'd want a fishing cart for a hay bale: sturdy, four wheels and can take a lot of weight :thumb:

very few people round here do the old fashioned small bales any more. mostly round big-bales as so much less handling required.
I do miss the old days farming. I remember having to chuck bales onto a trailer, don't think it could do it now though especially at the end of the load when you had to chuck them so high :(

Last edited:
very few people round here do the old fashioned small bales any more. mostly round big-bales as so much less handling required.
I do miss the old days farming. I remember having to chuck bales onto a trailer, don't think it could do it now though especially at the end of the load when you had to chuck them so high :(
Interesting! Most of what I see on trucks here is the rectangular bales (are they the double-size ones?), but being near three major cities with a fair few semi-urban equine centres (so lacking space) I expected there to be more of a normal hay supply. But it's all haylage in bags :S

Back