• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Washable Bunny Pee Pads

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
I'm so pleased I decided to give these a go after taking inspiration from Reader of Books. There is no downside for me. My positives:

* no plastic / unrecyclable paper packaging
* save about £30 a month on not using litter
* much easier to change their litter boxes as I just roll the pad up, shake off the hay & poop in the green bin then pop in the dedicated dirty pee pad bag

We've actually gone rogue in our house & abandoned litter trays altogether. This was because of Boo's arthritis really. Upstairs there is a carboard box that contains a plastic storage box lid, the pad fits perfect on that. Downstairs in pee corner there are less thick floor coverings for extra protection & a pee pad on top.

I make mine out of fleece & mattress protectors cut into rectangles then sewn in to old pillowcases 🤣

Who else uses them & whats your experience?

We haven't had litter trays for ages :censored:

I got a job lot of washable rug style mats for 10p each last year so Daisy uses one of those for her business and I just throw it out 😳

We haven't had litter trays for ages :censored:

I got a job lot of washable rug style mats for 10p each last year so Daisy uses one of those for her business and I just throw it out 😳
bloody hell that's cheap how many did you get?

Got to say Boo does get confused when I put the pad down but delay the hay topping. She bumbles in to that corner but is reluctant to wee until she feels hay under her bottom 😍

Another thing (same subject) that got me excited is they've needed a 40 wash to come out smelling fresh. Last night I tried them on a rapid 15 but plonked 2 homemade dishwasher tabs in - they are just vinegar, bicarb & citric acid - & they came out lovely

Another thing (same subject) that got me excited is they've needed a 40 wash to come out smelling fresh. Last night I tried them on a rapid 15 but plonked 2 homemade dishwasher tabs in - they are just vinegar, bicarb & citric acid - & they came out lovely
That's interesting to know, I use a mixture of disposable and reusable, and have always found a wash at 30 leaves them a bit pongy still. Will give your trick a try! Although I bought soap nuts recently and am sure that's helped as well.

I am using dog pads now and I change them every day. How often do you change the pads you use and do they smell?

That's interesting to know, I use a mixture of disposable and reusable, and have always found a wash at 30 leaves them a bit pongy still. Will give your trick a try! Although I bought soap nuts recently and am sure that's helped as well.
let me know if it works for you

I am using dog pads now and I change them every day. How often do you change the pads you use and do they smell?
Another puppy pad user. My buns have their toilet areas upstairs & downstairs (one in each). I change ours daily . I don't think they are smelly in use but they are a bit stinky when I'm shaking the hay off & wafting it in my face 🤣

Another puppy pad user. My buns have their toilet areas upstairs & downstairs (one in each). I change ours daily . I don't think they are smelly in use but they are a bit stinky when I'm shaking the hay off & wafting it in my face 🤣
It is best not to shake it towards the face hahah 😂😂

That's clever to do without litter trays at all because of Boo's arthritis. It's cute that she waits to pee until she has hay under her feet.

I'm happy with my washable pads, especially how easy it is to do the daily cleaning now, but I do find them smellier than when I had hemp litter. Sometimes when I go into Sophie and Casper's room I can smell them even when I'm not close to them. I don't know if that's because they've maybe recently peed in those cases, though. It doesn't help that they do almost all their peeing in their smallest litter tray, so the pad is quite wet when it's time to replace it, which is not ideal.

That's clever to do without litter trays at all because of Boo's arthritis. It's cute that she waits to pee until she has hay under her feet.

I'm happy with my washable pads, especially how easy it is to do the daily cleaning now, but I do find them smellier than when I had hemp litter. Sometimes when I go into Sophie and Casper's room I can smell them even when I'm not close to them. I don't know if that's because they've maybe recently peed in those cases, though. It doesn't help that they do almost all their peeing in their smallest litter tray, so the pad is quite wet when it's time to replace it, which is not ideal.
aww that's a shame you're finding them a bit smelly..its also making me think maybe mine are too but my sense of smell isn't amazing (thankfully 🤣 as most smells I come across I don't like). Do they smell more the longer it is since the pads were changed or is it unrelated?
I think its pretty considerate that Sophie & Casper do almost all their pees in the one place

I'm so pleased I decided to give these a go after taking inspiration from Reader of Books. There is no downside for me. My positives:

* no plastic / unrecyclable paper packaging
* save about £30 a month on not using litter
* much easier to change their litter boxes as I just roll the pad up, shake off the hay & poop in the green bin then pop in the dedicated dirty pee pad bag

We've actually gone rogue in our house & abandoned litter trays altogether. This was because of Boo's arthritis really. Upstairs there is a carboard box that contains a plastic storage box lid, the pad fits perfect on that. Downstairs in pee corner there are less thick floor coverings for extra protection & a pee pad on top.

I make mine out of fleece & mattress protectors cut into rectangles then sewn in to old pillowcases 🤣

Who else uses them & whats your experience?
I bought washable puppy pads for Raven after reading the post from Reader of Books too, yet they are not as thick as I like even though I change them daily. I may use your idea of sewing fleece to mattress pads. I already make the bunnies double layer fleece blankets and just got some more fleece to make Heidi new blankets. What type of mattress protectors do you use?

Last edited:
aww that's a shame you're finding them a bit smelly..its also making me think maybe mine are too but my sense of smell isn't amazing (thankfully 🤣 as most smells I come across I don't like). Do they smell more the longer it is since the pads were changed or is it unrelated?
I think its pretty considerate that Sophie & Casper do almost all their pees in the one place
Hm, or maybe my sense of smell is too good? 🤣 Now that you ask that, I'm realising that they don't smell more the longer they've been in their litter trays, just random moments during the day, sometimes not even that long after they've been changed, so it probably is because they peed recently...
It is, but it would be nice if they used both litter trays the same amount so the pad in the smaller one wouldn't get so dirty that my hands get wet when picking it up the pad to change it. 🤣

I bought washable puppy pads for Raven after reading the post from Reader of Books too, yet they are not as thick as I like even though I change them daily. I may use your idea of sewing fleece to mattress pads. I already make the bunnies double layer fleece blankets and just got some more fleece to make Heidi new blankets. What type of mattress protectors do you use?
Any, I'm not fussy - I just bought a kingsize one from my local supermarket, similar to this

https://www.dunelm.com/product/supe...TzZgJRcn1b6ferjop3kaAp0CEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hm, or maybe my sense of smell is too good? 🤣 Now that you ask that, I'm realising that they don't smell more the longer they've been in their litter trays, just random moments during the day, sometimes not even that long after they've been changed, so it probably is because they peed recently...
It is, but it would be nice if they used both litter trays the same amount so the pad in the smaller one wouldn't get so dirty that my hands get wet when picking it up the pad to change it. 🤣
Ewww 🤣 ok I have some empathy for your situation now 🤣 bunny pee is toxic & nobbun wants it on their hands

Back