• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Washable Bunny Pee Pads

I'm beginning to get a god complex about my bunny pee pads 🤣 I've obviously hit a winning combo as mine absorb so well I dont have these issues ....& they are both great drinkers. Boobly has a pee every hour too🤣
maybe its cos mine are quite big

bunny momma it was all a bit ad hoc but I think most of my pee pads (I've 15) had 2 layers of either fleece & i layer of mattress protector (or 3 fleece 1 MP). The use of pillowcases was just cos the bunnies have used all out old duvet covers for years but the pillowcases were just kicking around unused. I did want cotton on the outside though to avoid trapping hay

Btw I've never used them for bunnies so can't say much about that, thats such a good idea I'll have to use for future though! But they're amazing for ducks!

A couple years ago another duck keeper recommended I use them when I had a few messy ducklings and I needed something that they weren't going to either eat or slip on (splayed legs is a risk for ducklings on slippery surfaces). And wow, they're so absorbent and wash well!

They're nice under an adult's feet as well, ducks love anything material, and especially good if they've got bumblefoot.

I've even heard of people using washable pads for elderly or sick cats, although I'd have to imagine the smell might be difficult to get out with just regular laundry detergent. Bunny pee is inoffensive compared to cat pee.

I'm beginning to get a god complex about my bunny pee pads 🤣 I've obviously hit a winning combo as mine absorb so well I dont have these issues ....& they are both great drinkers. Boobly has a pee every hour too🤣
maybe its cos mine are quite big

bunny momma it was all a bit ad hoc but I think most of my pee pads (I've 15) had 2 layers of either fleece & i layer of mattress protector (or 3 fleece 1 MP). The use of pillowcases was just cos the bunnies have used all out old duvet covers for years but the pillowcases were just kicking around unused. I did want cotton on the outside though to avoid trapping hay
Thanks for the pointers on layering, etc.
Adding cotton on the outside to avoid trapping hay on the fleece is another great idea.
I am sure I have some partly worn cotton sheets I can use.

Ewww 🤣 ok I have some empathy for your situation now 🤣 bunny pee is toxic & nobbun wants it on their hands
Thank you. 🤣 Is bunny pee really toxic?? 😲 You're indeed lucky to have pads that absorb so well you don't have any issues even with Boo's hourly pee. 🤣 I've now put the larger litter tray where the smallest was, so hopefully the bigger pad will be better at absorbing everything!

It's cute that even ducks like them, William.

Thank you. 🤣 Is bunny pee really toxic?? 😲 You're indeed lucky to have pads that absorb so well you don't have any issues even with Boo's hourly pee. 🤣 I've now put the larger litter tray where the smallest was, so hopefully the bigger pad will be better at absorbing everything!

It's cute that even ducks like them, William.
no, I don't think its toxic really. just not the nicest thing...but there again pee generally isnt

I hope changing the litter trays about works...it sounds a sensible plan & they don't get grumpy about you re-arranging their bathrooms 🤣

no, I don't think its toxic really. just not the nicest thing...but there again pee generally isnt

I hope changing the litter trays about works...it sounds a sensible plan & they don't get grumpy about you re-arranging their bathrooms 🤣
They've adjusted just fine, thankfully! It has (so far!) even stopped Casper from very intentionally peeing next to the smaller litter tray almost every day because the larger one covers the spot he'd pee on!

They've adjusted just fine, thankfully! It has (so far!) even stopped Casper from very intentionally peeing next to the smaller litter tray almost every day because the larger one covers the spot he'd pee on!
Sounds like a winner all round.

I dunno why but when I read about other peoples bunnies peeing where they shouldn't it really makes me chortle...not so much when mine do it 🤣

I dunno why but when I read about other peoples bunnies peeing where they shouldn't it really makes me chortle...not so much when mine do it 🤣
It's always different when it happens to other people. 🤣 To be fair, I think it's funny when Sophie and Casper do it, too. It's a weird act of bunny rebellion. 🤣

The worst place I ever had a bunny pee was through my trousers and on my pants!!

I've gotten bunny pee in my eyes when I had 2 young unfixed males. I'd go to open their cage and one of them would spray me in the face 😬 Thankfully they stopped that when I got them neutered.

The worst place I ever had a bunny pee was through my trousers and on my pants!!
me too, when Boo had EC & I had her on my knee for the journey to the vets cos she was wobbly. It went right through my jeans to my knickers (& it burnt!), steamed up the car windows...it made for a humiliating entrance to the vets as it really looked like i'd peed my pants & the receptionist kept barking at me to sit down 🤣 bloody rabbits :)

Back