• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay in small boxes

bundit

Warren Scout
I buy haybox hay, it's very good, but the boxes are huge, does anyone know of a company that is just as good but sell in multiples of 2.5kg rather than 5kg boxes?

I did ask if they would let me buy 4 x 2.5 at the same price as 2 x 5kg, but they can't do that, space is a problem with the huge boxes, I like to keep the hay indoors.

You will pay more if you buy in smaller boxes. Could you source 3 or 4 boxes, which you use specifically for hay storage. Then buy your usual 2 x 5kg and decant it as soon as it arrives? It would also mean that you will be able to stay with the hay that you are happy with.

I was going to suggest just repackaging the bigger boxes, even if you buy one batch in smaller boxes and reuse those for subsequent purchases.

Hi, originally I kept the smaller box and decanted, but it's a real hassle as it goes everywhere! I also kept hay in a large bin outside, but unfortunately a couple of times the lid was slightly off and it got wet...it only takes once to loose the lot.

I'm just being lazy, I wanted smaller box deliveries at big box prices :D

A better bin outside? I use wheely bins with a loop of hay bale string looped under the lip and tied between the handles to stop the lid blowing up. You can get standard round bins with twist lids or clip on lids. There are also bench type storage bins. They will pay for themselves with the price difference between the size of bales.

Hi, originally I kept the smaller box and decanted, but it's a real hassle as it goes everywhere! I also kept hay in a large bin outside, but unfortunately a couple of times the lid was slightly off and it got wet...it only takes once to loose the lot.

I'm just being lazy, I wanted smaller box deliveries at big box prices :D

I feel your pain. I have a small shed that my 3 boxes of Hay Box hay get delivered to (it's only taken 12 months to get DPD to actually put it in the shed for me ...) I move one box into the house when I have finished the previous but I find the size of the box a real pain to get my hands round without bashing my hands on the doorway when take it in. I then decant some of it into a shopping bag for the upstairs bunnies and no matter how careful I am, I still flick it everywhere.

Thanks for replying, I only just saw these. I did have dustbin, but on more than one occasion, someone left the lid slightly off and the rain got in - the whole lot was ruined, but I guess a wheelie is a better option for that reason.

I have also had problems bunny lady with delivery, they delivered ok, to my shed, but the last delivery was left out - luckily I just got home before the rain came, but the bottom was damp.

Back