• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thymoma / UD At the Bridge now

Just wanted to send loads of vibes. I hope the x-ray goes ok tomorrow.

This thread has been a huge help to me, as my Fluff has just developed the same symptoms.

I just posted on your thread. I am Keeping my fingers crossed for Fluff and sending loads of vibes xx

Lots of vibes for tomorrow, hope the x-ray goes well and gives you a diagnosis - hopefully one which can result in a treatment which can keep your little one comfortable and happy for a while yet.

Big hugs xxx

Thank you :)

Hope all goes well and fingers crossed it is something treatable.

Even if it is thymoma, Jane has given some good advice on meds to try xxx

Just caught up with this thread. Lots of best wishes. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. Emrys is at the vet now waiting for his x ray. He was really sweet this morning. He wanted affection from myself and my son in particular. I don't know what it is about my son but animals seem to gravitate towards him. I now have a nervous wait to find out if he survives the GA and then another wait after that for the actual results. There is a small chance it is not a tumour but at this stage its pretty unlikely.

Vibes for the wee man. Hopefully a wee miracle happens and he is easily treatable.
I am sure whatever the outcome of the X-Ray that he will get the best of care with you x

I just phoned for an update and Emrys has come through the X ray but he is still extremely groggy following the anesthetic. We will find out at 5.30 about the size, location and spread of the tumor. Also on a plus, the e-vet are going to refund us following my complaint so that will actually cover the cost of his x-ray. Still waiting for a written apology but its a start and they have accepted that they made a serious error.

Thank you for all your thoughts. The result is as we thought but we don't necessarily have to lose him yet but we will probably have to say goodbye to him this year :(

Emrys has a thymoma in his chest, the mass is fairly large and is impacting on his trachea and esophagus. This explains his decrease in appetite and activity. The pressure put on his trachea means he cannot get enough breath, and he is breathing at a slightly faster rate. However there are no other growths throughout the body, and because the thymoma is not impacting upon the heart (though near it) or lungs, this would suggest a slow growth. Therefore the vet feels it prudent to try him with some medication to lower the blood pressure. The presence of the tumour has led to an increase in blood pressure hence the bulging bloodshot eyes. The tumour has also led to some excess fluid in the abdomen and this also causes raised blood pressure. Though near but not touching the heart, it is bearing down on his arteries. Without a biopsy it is hard to tell which part of the mass is malignant. It will continue to grow and the cancer may be in the wall of the mass or the centre. That would mean it is either a carcinoma or a lymphoma. It is fairly rare in rabbits round here (he last had a case in 2007) and just bad luck. The thymus gland ought to disappear at or near birth, if it doesn’t it can become a growth site in later life.
Also Emrys cannot see because there is no light getting into his retinas due to the bulging and pressure. So we have come away with some medication (Fortekor and Furosemide) to reduce the blood pressure and fluid build up. The idea is to bring Emrys back down to a stable state, where he can maybe regain some sight. He is quite bewildered and asking for attention and seeking comfort from us because I think he is anxious, scared and does not understand what has happened. So although we will have to lose him, we hope to do so on a high note, where he is feeling better within himself, feeling more normal and confidant. He is currently not in pain but is probably feeling some pressure around the eyes and head so there will be discomfort. But I have expressed to the vet that I do not want to prolong any suffering or keep Emrys alive for my own safe. We are going to try the medication for a week or so to see if it helps at all and we are also due back for a check up next week. Emrys' response to the medication will very much dictate how we next proceed, so its one day at a time for now.

Tonight he is quite groggy and unsteady due to the GA. Understandably he is reluctant to eat but is keen to drink and he has eaten some soft fresh dandelion leaves. I am hoping to disguise his tablets in a raisin (don't worry he won't get too many per day) as it worked for another rabbit when she had a stroke.

My vet kindly let me take a picture of the x ray plates and I also have some pictures of Emrys from tonight. I think I will post in the photos section so that more members can become aware of what a thymoma is.

Thank you for all the support, it means so much.
if he responds to the medication then the bulging should go down and he should be able to see again, the idea is to give him some more time at a more comfortable status.

I really hope that he responds well to the meds and that you can spend more quality time together xxx

Sending lots of vibes x

Back